Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ranking the most disappointing fighters in UFC history

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Im like that with hockey, but mostly my own fault for being a Leafs fan near Toronto. I get to remember the greats like Andrew Raycroft, Alan Bester, Brian McCabe, Nik Antropov, and the immortal Gary Leeman. Heroes.
    I'm not a hockey guy, but my brother is. I'm sure someday I'll get into it. I do respect it as a sport.

I'm assuming it is nice to be close to your team.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Im like that with hockey, but mostly my own fault for being a Leafs fan near Toronto. I get to remember the greats like Andrew Raycroft, Alan Bester, Brian McCabe, Nik Antropov, and the immortal Gary Leeman. Heroes.
    You missed Kyle Wellwood.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    It sure does in the UFC. Winning a bonus on multiple occasions will have you headlining cards, winning consecutive fights or not.
    Heck if your name is Chael Sonnen might even get you a title fight as well

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    He lost exactly one fight out of those 9 to a guy who wasn't a former ufc champ.
    In the same regard though he's beat mid tier guys not been able to beat top guys.

Silva had a rep as being one of the top guys in his weight class coming into the UFC and also the nickname was something he had lived up to in Pride. He didn't carry that over to the UFC. I'm sure we'll agree to disagree on this but I don't think it's a stretch to say Silva run in the UFC has been a bit of a disappointment. I'm sure being the competitor he is he's not happy with the way his UFC career has gone thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    He lost exactly one fight out of those 9 to a guy who wasn't a former ufc champ.
    Exactly, while clearly being in the twilight of his career.

I'd say Nick Diaz is a disappointment for sure and for a myriad of reasons. He's young enough and talented enough to change his status. Lawler is a good example. I'd say he was a disappointment as well prior to his resurgence. Now he's that scary beast again!
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Kid Yamamoto and I've a feeling kawajiris gonna be in that list soon.

I consider Melvin Guillard to be a disappointment. Was talented as hell, but seemed to lack sub defense. He had exciting fights but couldn't put a good streak together until going 7-1 in his second run with the company. Then he ran into Joe Lauzon and got too cocky, subsequently getting dropped before submitting to a rear naked choke. Was never the same after that, with the lone exception being a KO win over Mac Danzig.

I just kept thinking during his 7-1 run that he was finally putting it together before he got in his own way.

Nick Diaz is certainly become a disappointing fighter especially with his current run and retirement. It's his decision to do so, but I wish he wasn't so present in MMA news outlets (definitely the majority of blame goes to the media for that)

Vinny Magalhaes and Yoshihiro Akiyama I think could be added a well.

By the way, is it a Cage Potato article or Bleacher report article?

Coming to mind, Vera, David Terrell, Joe Riggs, Karo, Ricco Rodriguez, Huerta, Fickett....

I'll throw Kalib Starnes into the mix as well...........

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    I'll throw Kalib Starnes into the mix as well...........
    I was gonna say this. Well played, sir.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Thread Information