+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Despite recent 1-3 record, UFC Fight Night 41's Mark Munoz plans to fight on

Hybrid View

Default Despite recent 1-3 record, UFC Fight Night 41's Mark Munoz plans to fight on

Despite recent 1-3 record, UFC Fight Night 41's Mark Munoz plans to fight on
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/despite...ns-to-fight-on
    Despite dropping his third fight in four outings, Munoz said he’ll soldier on.

“You’ve just go to pick up the pieces and keep going,” he said at the post-event press conference, which took place at O2 World Berlin in Germany. “It was a tough loss, but I think it doesn’t matter how many times you fall, but it’s how many times you pick yourself back up after a loss or a failure.

“So that’s what I’ll do.”

Munoz (13-5 MMA, 8-5 UFC), 36, announced prior to fighting Mousasi (35-4-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) that he would try to win the bout using his wrestling, and he followed through from the opening bell of the headlining fight on FOX Sports 1. Unfortunately for him, Mousasi came well prepared and stuffed his initial takedown attempts.

When it seemed he would finally get the fight to the ground, Mousasi expertly reversed position as the two fell to the mat. The former Strikeforce and DREAM champion also punished Munoz with elbows and forced him to give his back, which led to a submission in the first round.

Mousasi got back to the winner’s circle after a decision loss to No. 1 contender Lyoto Machida, while Munoz once again went back to the drawing board.

Prior to the bout, Munoz told USA TODAY Sports he had hired a mental coach to ensure he was focused in the cage.

Following a highly publicized battle with depression, which he said was caused by a series of injuries and a loss to now-champ Chris Weidman, Munoz rebounded in a big way when he dominated Tim Boetsch en route to decision at UFC 162. But a head kick knockout at the hands of Machida again was a sobering reality check.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

Losses to Mousasi, Machida and Weidman are no reason to pack up the tent for sure. Ive always been a bit of a Munoz fan, and would love to see him come back strong against a bisping-level fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Losses to Mousasi, Machida and Weidman are no reason to pack up the tent for sure. Ive always been a bit of a Munoz fan, and would love to see him come back strong against a bisping-level fighter.
    No reason to pack it up at all! Those guys are top level competitors in the division, give him a few buffer fights to get back in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    No reason to pack it up at all! Those guys are top level competitors in the division, give him a few buffer fights to get back in the mix.
    I like your AV of 2nd place conference teams...
    LJS-NEMS

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    I like your AV of 2nd place conference teams...
    Thanks, I like my teams too. Didnt like how they went down, but I ride and die with Indiana and OKC.

Thunder=Great season, great series'. Played their asses off and fought until the last second ticked away even with it out of reach
    Pacers= Didnt even act like they wanted to be there after Game 1 with Miami, absolutely pathetic level of play shown by them, dont wanna talk about it.

Back on topic: Munoz vs Tim Kennedy/Bisping/Rockhold anyone?

I appreciate the high level of competition, but between being finished in his last three losses and being 36 doesn't give me much hope looking forward and if anything, his skills will be looking to plateau, slowing down and won't be getting any shaper. IMO, he still bests most of the non-top 10 MWs, but given the issues he dealt with during his year off after the Weidman fight, mounting injuries and how he's looked recently, I think we're witnessing his steady decline and I don't think he'll be getting any better, while I do think he'll be getting put out again and again if he keeps fighting this caliber of opposition. I say he's slightly above the "Ed Herman Spot" in the MW division, the Mike Pierce to Ed Herman's Mike Pyle if you will. Helluva fighter and game as hell, but not gunning against top tens with much success.

He should either retire or take a huge step down in competition.

He needs better management to be honest, losing to Weidman and taking time off for injuries was a smart move, but then to take a return fight against Machida was just brazen and obviously a mistake. Then to take another fight against a guy that I believe is a future top 5 in Gegard seems just as bad. Protect your fighter, he could of moved down the card and taken on someone a little less dangerous and pulled in a much needed win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

He needs better management to be honest, losing to Weidman and taking time off for injuries was a smart move, but then to take a return fight against Machida was just brazen and obviously a mistake. Then to take another fight against a guy that I believe is a future top 5 in Gegard seems just as bad. Protect your fighter, he could of moved down the card and taken on someone a little less dangerous and pulled in a much needed win.
    He is 36 and still had title ambitions. He didn't really have time to continue to beat up on unranked fighters.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    He is 36 and still had title ambitions. He didn't really have time to continue to beat up on unranked fighters.
    I am sure Shane Carwin felt the same way, and look what happened to him. Fighters need to understand that they can't all be champions, and manage there careers properly. Fighting top 10 guys over and over and getting finished is doing nothing for his title chances, he is literally out of title contention forever, he was handidly beat by the current champion, future champion and future title challenger and perhaps also a champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information