+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Jones refusing to fight Goose, wants DC instead

Default Dana White: Jones refusing to fight Goose, wants DC instead

Welcome to "The Download" with Dana White. Each week come to UFC.com for an exclusive interview with the UFC boss about whatever is happening in the world of the UFC that week.

Fans have been clamoring for the rematch between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson ever since their epic championship bout at UFC 165 in September of 2013. Some consider that bout to be the greatest fight in company history.

After news broke the night of UFC 173 that Gustafsson agreed to terms on a rematch with Jones, everybody has been waiting on the champion to sign on for the historic rematch.

So what's the hold up?

According to UFC president Dana White, Jones doesn't want to fight Gustafsson. In fact, the champion has said that he would rather face Daniel Cormier, who is coming off a dominant victory over legend Dan Henderson.

"Just to clear up a couple things, people think we're in contract negotiations with Jon Jones - we're not. Jon Jones still has five fights left on his contract," White said Monday afternoon in an exclusive interview with UFC.com. "So what we're doing right now is trying to get him to sign the bout agreement for Gustafsson. He doesn't want to fight Gustafsson. ... Lorenzo and I have a meeting with Jones on Thursday to get him to sign the bout agreement, and he's asking to fight Cormier instead."

Cormier recently spoke to sportsworldnews.com and said he'd be willing to fight Gustafsson if Jones won't sign to fight the Swede. White said if Jones doesn't sign the contract, who knows, Cormier vs.
    Gustafsson could be the move.
    http://www.ufc.com/news/dana-downloa...cebook%3A+UFC&
    Last edited by rivethead; 06-02-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: format
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

And here's reason 8478593 to hate Jones.

Wtf, seriously? If you don't want to fight who they put up against you, give up the belt or retire or some shit.

So Gus never gets a shot again? What if jones does get DC and wins, and Goose keeps winning? He won't get a shot cuz jon pokes jones doesn't want to fight him? This is some bullllllshit

Then again, this could be old big mouth, talking out his ass DW trying to get jones to sign for the fight by calling him out
    Last edited by Sick_Lunatic; 06-02-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Jones is seriously the most disgraceful champion we've seen. I mean, what a pitiful excuse for a champion.

There's not an ounce of fighter in him. He's pure athlete. Nothing more. Put him in a baseball jersey and send him off please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Jones is seriously the most disgraceful champion we've seen. I mean, what a pitiful excuse for a champion.

There's not an ounce of fighter in him. He's pure athlete. Nothing more. Put him in a baseball jersey and send him off please.
    Do you believe dana?

I find that too difficult. I feel jones is probably the most likely to go full-diva, but I'd need to hear it from jones himself or from Lorenzo.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Do you believe dana?

I find that too difficult. I feel jones is probably the most likely to go full-diva, but I'd need to hear it from jones himself or from Lorenzo.

rh
    Can never trust what Dana says, but given how Jones has idolized Anderson Silva's tactics for contract negotiations, and spewing bs of his own to the media to keep the spotlight focused on his controversy, I say only Lorenzo's word is the closest we get to purity.

First, thanks Riv for the help in posting this. Secondly, Im a big Jones fan and I think he is making a huge mistake. I think Goose is dangerous, but I think with proper training and gaming, Jones will beat Goose handily in the rematch. However with DC, I think DC is the guy to dethrone Jones. Jones will never take him down, Jones cant knock him out. DC is going to be in his face, slugging him with power punches and will get takedowns on him. The only way Jones were to beat him is to get him to gas and submit him. So why on earth would Jones want the bigger risk first.... its leaving me scratching my head.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Do you believe dana?

rh
    While I do agree that Dana is not the most reliable source...and by not the most reliable, I mean not reliable...when it's coupled by Alexander saying Jones isn't signing the contract, and DC coming out and saying he's ready to fight Gustafsson if Jones decides to duck...it leads me to believe that there's a big measure of truth. I've no reason to not believe the words of Gustafsson and/or Cormier.

And that's all before factoring Jones's history of turning down fights and picking opponents.

Maybe Jones is just playing games...but I highly doubt that.

https://twitter.com/JonnyBones

Jon Bones JonesVerified account ‏@JonnyBones

Is that the latest rumor? “@neoweo: @JonnyBones you going to bellator?”

Jon Bones Jones @JonnyBones · 9h

What contract? “@TheLareBear: @JonnyBones hey bones, you sign that contract yet?”
    Jon Bones JonesVerified account ‏@JonnyBones

I got nothing “@BiggAlskins: @JonnyBones a lot of people calling you out champ, no response?”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

He's whipping the fans up into a boiling froth. Notice how fans care more about Gus than they ever did. Working the Jones is afraid of Gus angle is pure genius! Dana White is an Artist, maybe a bullshit artist. But he's one of the best in the game! They are selling a narrative, and book will be on sale very soon for about 70 bucks in HD. Welcome to the UFC Carnival folks! Step right up!
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

i wont fighter bash so ill hold my tongue... it just seems so bleh

I would LOVE for Goose and DC to fight for the interim belt but that also means Jones wins if DC wins and can go on hiatus if Goose wins... if 2 #1 contenders have to fight for an interim belt because the champ refuses to fight shouldn't that champ be stripped?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information