+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Jones refusing to fight Goose, wants DC instead

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I'm not saying that Jones did or didn't demand DC instead just that I'm not willing to accept Dana's rendition of how things played out here.
    I'm not accepting dana's version, either.

But I can't for the life of me think that he wouldn't have jumped at the chance for an injured DC fight if it was possible.

I find that to be a weakness.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Yes, I doubt he's trolling, or trolling 100%. Trolling would be stating something he had no intention of doing, just to get a reaction.
    And it did that, no?

I believe it was more testing the waters than trolling.
    And i believe he was trolling. To each their own i guess.

Yeah. Much like you saying "you don't get worked up" over shit said on the boards, I guarantee you jones is disturbed by the opinion of fans. His actions repeatedly illustrate that.
    I think at one time Jones cared, i think that time past a long time ago.

Of course it's my opinion. That's why I embed phrases like "I believe" or "I think."
    Yes, and i was hinting at your opinion being just that - yours - not necessarily being right.

There is a tremendous difference between simply being a fighter and being a Champion. There is a tremendous difference between simply being a Champion and being an ambassador for the sport. But again, all sense of subtlety is beyond your ability to understand.
    Sure there is, but where is it written in stone that a fighter - who becomes champion - must also be an ambassador to the sport. Jones is the greatest Champion we've seen in a verrrry long time. Outside of Anderson he may be the best ever.

Funny that you bring up that there isn't anything left for him at LHW, after he's stated he no longer has intentions to move up and actually face fighters his size.
    Which was when there was Tex, Davis, Goose II, and DC still there. Now there is Goose and DC.

Being forced to fight Goose is exactly the same actively seeking him out without ever whining about it.

rh
    I keep seeing this "Forced" word being thrown around. Jones is under contract with the UFC. He isnt forced to sign any contract the ufc brings to him. He could laugh at them and say "fuck you guys, im not signing that and will sit out until i get the fight i want" and there wouldnt be a thing the UFC could do about it.

At this point - with the money Jones has made - and the position the UFC is currently in with big name stars and PPV buys - the UFC needs Jones more than Jones needs the UFC.

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

I keep seeing this "Forced" word being thrown around. Jones is under contract with the UFC. He isnt forced to sign any contract the ufc brings to him. He could laugh at them and say "fuck you guys, im not signing that and will sit out until i get the fight i want" and there wouldnt be a thing the UFC could do about it.
    Except sue him for breach of contract, strip him of the title, hold him hostage until the duration of the contract is complete, and cut him afterward; effectively rendering his career and sponsorships useless.

So yeah, nothing they could do.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    At this point - with the money Jones has made - and the position the UFC is currently in with big name stars and PPV buys - the UFC needs Jones more than Jones needs the UFC.
    They actually need each other about the same.

While the UFC could go on without Jones they are lacking big name stars to go with their brand. Jones while no GSP in terms of PPV draws is still a decent draw for them. Also being one of the few really active champs they have on the roster he keeps the LHW belt somewhat relevant (the Chael fiasco aside)

Jones can not earn a living without fighting and he can't go anywhere as he has a champs clause in his contract. His sponsorship money dries up pretty quick if he doesn't fight as well. Pretty doubtful Jones can go elsewhere and pull in the money he is now as a fighter.

Sure there is, but where is it written in stone that a fighter - who becomes champion - must also be an ambassador to the sport. Jones is the greatest Champion we've seen in a verrrry long time. Outside of Anderson he may be the best ever.
    Not even close, but to each his own.

...he better have made wise investments, then...and something tells me that is unlikely.

Again, not even close.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post

Jones can not earn a living without fighting and he can't go anywhere as he has a champs clause in his contract. His sponsorship money dries up pretty quick if he doesn't fight as well. Pretty doubtful Jones can go elsewhere and pull in the money he is now as a fighter.
    At this point Jones is set for the rest of his life. He doesnt need fighting is what i was getting at. He makes a base pay of 400k a fight, not including ppv points, sponsors, etc. which gives him more than enough money to live comfortably the rest of his life. Hes 26 years old and always talked about retiring at 30...and at the pace hes on 30 may be realistic for him - if there isnt anything left for him to prove by that point.

[QUOTE=BonesKnows;1083233]

At this point Jones is set for the rest of his life. He doesnt need fighting is what i was getting at.
    Those are two very different statements.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

At this point Jones is set for the rest of his life. He doesnt need fighting is what i was getting at. He makes a base pay of 400k a fight, not including ppv points, sponsors, etc. which gives him more than enough money to live comfortably the rest of his life. Hes 26 years old and always talked about retiring at 30...and at the pace hes on 30 may be realistic for him - if there isnt anything left for him to prove by that point.
    I don't know if Jones is too financially savy. A lot of young people who have a lot of money blow it all and then have nothing later on in life when whatever they were making so much money off of comes to an end. I am not saying he doesn't know how to save his money but I don't think you should assume that just because he has made money means he is set for life.

Is BonesKnows ChaelFan?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Those are two very different statements.
    No its not. The ufc needs Jones, Jones doesnt need fighting aka the UFC.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information