Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Jones refusing to fight Goose, wants DC instead

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    At this point Jones is set for the rest of his life. He doesnt need fighting is what i was getting at. He makes a base pay of 400k a fight, not including ppv points, sponsors, etc. which gives him more than enough money to live comfortably the rest of his life. Hes 26 years old and always talked about retiring at 30...and at the pace hes on 30 may be realistic for him - if there isnt anything left for him to prove by that point.

Ok aside from the taxes, agent fees, management fees, training costs etc which all take a huge chunk out of Jones pay per fight. I'm inclined to think he is far from set at this moment.

People that pull in salaries like Jones does especially at his age tend to tailor their spending habits around those paychecks coming in for the foreseeable future. His taste in cars alone is a good indicator he is spending on level where he expects good money to come in on a regular basis. Could he exist on the money he has made as is sure if he's invested wisely. However there is a big difference from being set and sustaining off interest, dividends and investment returns in comparison to pulling in multi million dollar paydays 3+ times a year. You don't walk away from that kind of income in your 20's

Besides that if Jones is the competitor he claims he is then he'd want to continue fighting at this point still in his prime years psychically and with challenges ahead of him.

No its not. The ufc needs Jones, Jones doesnt need fighting aka the UFC.
    Really??

Lets see. If Jones leaves will the UFC survive? Yes
    If Jones leaves will he eventually spend all the money he has earned so far requiring him to get another job? Yes.

So it seems that Jones needs the UFC unless he wants to go find another job. I wonder what he is qualified for? I hear McDonalds's pays nice in bad neighborhoods.

I can certainly see that Jones doesn't need to fight. He's certainly earned enough money to live comfortably on, unless he's an idiot and blew through it.

But exactly how does the UFC need jones? He's not a great PPV draw; from a PR standpoint, he's a complete buffoon; and a huge chunk of credibility is based on nonsensical hype that he's the p4p champ. the majority of his press--certainly of late, as he's been "maturing" has been dedicated to refuting criticism, or trying to explain his bizarre behavior. A ten year old with a basic concept of fighting can dismantle the p4p assertion, and in the absence of PR guys desperately trying to shore up his image, it's more likely than not that it will simply collapse.

The UFC could toss him under the bus and the majority of zuffa's audience would be all for the "king is dead/long live the new king" before the end of one press conference.

Jones is imminently replaceable.

He should be the biggest star the sport has ever seen.
    He should be the biggest draw the sport has ever seen.

But he isn't.

That's not the fault of any fictitious "haters."
    It's not even the fault of his critics.

Jones has nobody to blame but himself.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 06-10-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I hate to shatter your fantasy world but no, the UFC does not need Jon Jones. The UFC and its multi billion $ worth will do just fine without Jones.

Do you honestly think the UFC will tank if they lose Jones?

Claiming they NEED Jones is a little far fetched.

The UFC will be able to move on just fine without Jon Jones as a champion.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

It would take less than a ten-minute press conference to absolutely demolish the glass-house that has been built around Mr. Jones. It would be as simple as saying: "He's incredibly talented but refuses to fight the best contenders. He cost us a PPV when he refused to fight an overmatched middleweight and then turned around and fought another MW. His diva-like attitude has been impossible to deal with and we're simply finished trying to cater to him."
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

I kinda agree on both sides as I do think that the UFC doesn't need Jones to survive, however, I do think Dana White needs/wants Jones, more than Jones needs him.

If history is any indication, Dana White has bent over backwards for drama queens, divas, whiny fighters just to satisfy their wants (Anderson Silva, Rousey, Jones, Rampage, Couture, Nick Diaz). He has already pimped Jones as the poster boy for the UFC, the #1 P4P, and he always had a soft spot for guys who are known to run their mouths to the media to stir up attention.

Without Jones, The UFC can perhaps start marketing more personable, more talented fighters like:
    Cain (who, like GSP, will probably sell out an entire stadium in home country)
    the younger, talented, smaller weight class champs Aldo/Mighty Mouse/Dillashaw/Cruz/Barao
    Chris Weidman, who with this nickname "The All American" can be the 2nd incarnation of Randy Couture, and also represent NYC/LI
    With the surge of former Soviet based fighters from Dagestan, Chechnya, the UFC can break into Russia. Given how Fedor was able to expose SF to large audience in Russia, the UFC needs Russian based fighters to do the same, and guy like Jones isn't gonna be the guy to do that.

Plenty of LHW contenders outside of the UFC for him to fight if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I find it hard to believe he was trolling, trolling includes wanting a reaction. Jones instantly deleted the video he posted - to avoid a reaction. What other reason would he have deleted it and the numerous other social media posts he jumps to delete.

And if Jones was trolling, this makes me think back to the homophobic slurs he messaged to a fan and then claimed his phone was hacked or it was his social media team.. Is Jones a troll or is he not? Fans of his seem to claim trolling when it is suitable to their argument.

The champion did not answer that call or give it any credibility to Cormier's call outs until Cormier went public with his knee injury....
    Jones posted the videos to troll us. Do you really believe that Jones doesnt know his posts are imoralized? He has done this 6 times in the past 2 weeks.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    It would take less than a ten-minute press conference to absolutely demolish the glass-house that has been built around Mr. Jones. It would be as simple as saying: "He's incredibly talented but refuses to fight the best contenders. He cost us a PPV when he refused to fight an overmatched middleweight and then turned around and fought another MW. His diva-like attitude has been impossible to deal with and we're simply finished trying to cater to him."
    If they wanted to talk p4p, dana could take it a step further. Mind you, none of this even needs to be true for it to be effective. Pretend jones decided to quit rather than fight Goose, and picture dana saying:

He just wants to fight guys fuckin' smaller than him. When he first broke out, there was all this talk of him moving up to fuckin' HW, remember? He's fighting these fuckin' LHW guys where he's got 10 fuckin' inches of length advantage, and he's fuckin' poking these poor fuckin' guys in the eye. then he gets a little money, and he starts not wanting to fight. Can't fight chael on short fuckin' notice. He wants a full fuckin' camp to fight fuckin' middleweights, a guy who never won at 205 in the UFC before. Great, we give him fuckin' middleweights. He almost gets fuckin' submitted by Vitor. When was the last time Vitor fucking Belfort fucking submitted anybody?

We book the fucking goose fight, and he doesn't want it. He's just fought two fuckin' middleweights in a row, we've finally got a fucking good LHW opponent for him, and he fuckin' cries about it at first. He wants money. Great. We give him fuckin' money. He finally fuckin' fights a guy close to his fuckin' size and ends up looking like a fuckin' pirate by the fuckin' end of it. Couldn't land a fuckin' takedown to save his fuckin' life on a guy without any fuckin' background in wrestling. Suddenly, no more fuckin' talk about moving up to HW. Remember, cageside, this guy is less than fuckin' 10lbs lighter than what Cain fuckin' weighs in at; and Velasquez would be giving up more than 10 fuckin' inches in length. But after that fuckin' fight with Goose--which could have gone either way--no more fuckin' talk about moving the fuck up to face the big boys, right?

Goose earns the fuckin' rematch--and really, we could have given it to him right off the fuckin' bat, the fight was that fuckin' close--and suddenly jon doesn't fuckin' want to fuckin' fight him. Two fuckin' months before, jones is saying Dan Cormier isn't worth his fuckin' attention. Cormier says he's fuckin' knee is jacked up but he'll face jones if bones is fuckin' ducking Goose, and bones is aaaaall fuckin' over it. Remember, jones would have had 20 fuckin' inches in length over Cormier, but he's got to fuckin' wait till Dan says he's fuckin' hurt before he wants to fuckin' fight him...the same fuckin' guy he didn't want to fight a fuckin' month before.

Good fuckin' riddance, jon jones. He was a fuckin' talented guy, but believe me, dealing with him was a fuckin headache like you'd never fuckin' believe. When I first fuckin' saw him, I thought he was going to be the best fuckin' fighter to ever step in the fuckin' cage. We started fuckin' calling him the p4p best cause he took out 4 former champs in a row, right? But really, those fuckin' guys were old, they're fuckin veterans who have been through fuckin' wars, fighitng hurt, facing this huge fucking kid, right? a fresh kid. they're on the fuckin' decline, and they were all fuckin' smaller than him, right? He should have fuckin' won those fights! He should have been p4p the best, and we kept fuckin' calling him that, hoping he wouldn't make fuckin' liars out of us. But he never realized his fuckin' potential, and he just became too much of a fuckin' bitch for us to deal with.

Some people get a little fuckin' money and they don't want to fuckin' fight anymore. They fuckin' lose it, you know? So he fuckin' lost it, and so we fuckin' lost him.

The UFC is about fucking fighters who want to fight the fucking best. Real fighters don't call me and tell me they don't want to face a fuckin' guy. Real fuckin' fighters call me and beg to fight the best fuckin' guy out there. If you're not a fuckin' fighter, don't fuckin' call me, we'll fuckin' call you, OK?
    rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 06-10-2014 at 04:48 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    If they wanted to talk p4p, dana could take it a step further. Mind you, none of this even needs to be true for it to be effective. Pretend jones decided to quit rather than fight Goose, and picture dana saying:

rh
    i think he would use more swears like (goddamn, cunt, fucktard, pussy, asshole etc..) vs fuckin 500 times but that made me laugh because I read it in Danas voice and it was pretty spot on

I have already said I respect his ability but think he is one of the worst guys as a human being.. as rivet mentioned true champs like GSP and Chuck were of the next man up philiosphy (outside Diaz cuz he pissed Georges off) Aldo and Cain are also very good champs too..

i mean Jones tactics have already made me boycott ever watching anything hes involved with so if that starts to catch fire you have to wonder if Dana would say hey "cut your fuckin shit or else..." and put him on his shit list and Dana knows how to hold a grudge and screw a fighter over

but this fight is signed so cant we just talk about how its going to go?? i rewatched the first fight last night and i can see in hindsight how the judges gave the fight to him despite having his faced BUSTED up.. Is Goose going to progress with his offensive and defensive wrestling?? his hands were beautiful but Jones won the fight with his kicks and spinning elbows so is Goose going to gameplan how to be more effective with that??

or will Jones employ more of a dirty boxing strategy and get in close and bust Gus up and make sure he takes him down?? only time will tell but i hope Gus wins decisivly then DC fights him and Bones has to get a crack at the winner of that instead of an instant rematch which would suck

Thread Information