Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Jones refusing to fight Goose, wants DC instead

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Pretty much how I feel. I think some of these guys masturbate to their fighter's highlight reels.
    Lol we all know who that is here

I wouldn't say I'm upset. I'm disappointed.

I'm disappointed in that I believe champions should shouldn't attempt to dictate who they face. I'm disappointed because this is yet another case of jones backtracking--first Cormier doesn't deserve a shot, but suddenly he does. I'm disappointed because it's a case where a champion has a healthy opponent, and is looking to fight an injured one. I'm disappointed in the organization that allows melodrama to happen, if not outright encouraging it.

And as it's been said, I don't think DC is as dangerous as Goose, particularly right now. Even if he wasn't injured, he's giving up nearly 20 inches in length advantage in a bout with jones. Daniel isn't going to overcome that with hampered mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Currently, with Cormier's injured knee/LCL which might require ACL surgery, yes.

Honestly, if it wasnt for the knee and that the Goose fight was already planned... I wouldnt care if it was DC or Goose.. but the fact is, everyone knew the UFC was planning the rematch (as long as both won their last fights - Manuwa and Tex). Jones knew Goose was next and even started to shit talk him after his Tex win. But now that DC is talking about injuries, Jones clearly wants to take advantage of that.
    I think it's interesting that Cormier is getting credit for gutting out the injury and coming in to face Dan, but there was a ton of people hating on Henderson for trying to do the same thing for UFC 151. I know LCL and MCL injuries are different, but you've still got an injured fighter whose medical team says "well...wait and see how you feel." One guy gets all the credit in the world, the other has people somehow blaming him for a canceled card. It's interesting that they ended up as opponents.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    I'm a big GSP, Cain, Aldo fan, and among others as well. I enjoy watching them fight and def cheer for them, but I don't have any emotional obsessive attachment to them. I don't know how fans reach that level of "attachment" seeing as there is nothing to gain from it emotionally. I could understand family, trainers, coaches, managers, teammates having that vested emotional interest but how a fan does, I can never understand.
    Good question.

I'd simply say this: I'm emotionally invested in the sport. I'm a very long-time fan who has, for years, been forced to point out the beauty, talent, respect, and skill of MMA in order to explain it to uninformed folks who saw it as a human cockfight. When I see someone who I perceive has a blatant disregard for the qualities I feel help advance the sport, I have an emotional response. I've also always despised champions who hold the title and fans hostage to their demands in both boxing and MMA.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Lol we all know who that is here
    Pashak?

Dana White rejects Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier fight, insists 'Bones' must first face Alexander Gustafsson
    White says as soon as Jones is on the cusp of becoming the star he can be, he starts rejecting fights. That's according to his conversation with The Albuquerque Journal (via MMA Fighting) while in town to promote this weekend's (June 7, 2014) UFC Fight Night 42 event.

His words:

"Gustafsson's next in line. Even Cormier said, ‘Listen, I hope this whole things works out for me and I get the shot, but even I believe that Gustafsson deserves the next shot.' [Gustafsson is] the No. 1 contender, he's waited for this rematch and [Cormier] even agrees. It’s just one of those things that sucks, to be honest with you. As soon as [Jones] starts to build some steam and starts to become the star that you think he can be, he comes out and doesn't want to fight somebody. You're the champion, you're the pound-for-pound best guy in the world, and he says he wants to be known as the best ever. Well, you don't turn down opponents, you know what I mean? You've got to fight all the best in the world, anyway. You're the man; everybody's gunning for you."
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/6/4/577...gustafsson-mma
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

"I'm disappointed in that I believe champions should shouldn't attempt to dictate who they face."

^ This right here.

I think a Champ should fight whoever is placed in front of them, regardless. As champ, you're best/the baddest and as the best/the baddest you should take on all comers. My opinion.

And Im a Jones fan... its gets harder and harder to be one, though.

Looks like Jones is backed into a corner now lol. I mean if he's this scared of a Gus rematch, Gus has probably already won the rematch.

Daniel Cormier would postpone knee surgery for a title shot
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/4/...r-a-title-shot
    On Wednesday's edition of UFC Tonight, MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported that Cormier said he's willing to put off a planned knee surgery if it means competing for a championship.

That would include in interim title fight with Gustafsson, in case of a complete breakdown between Jones and the UFC, who are scheduled to meet on Thursday.

Gustafsson's camp indicated to Helwani that they, too, would be open to an interim title fight with Cormier.

Cormier suffered an injury to his lateral collateral ligament just 10 days before his UFC 173 victory over Dan Henderson, an injury Cormier said nearly caused him to pull out of the fight. While Cormier recently indicated he was going to undergo surgery, he's willing to put it off for the sake of the title fight.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Looks like Jones is backed into a corner now lol. I mean if he's this scared of a Gus rematch, Gus has probably already won the rematch.
    I don't think he's scared, per se. I just think getting W's is more important to him then how he gets them. That's applicable to both his in cage and out of cage behaviour.

Realistically, he knows he has to face DC sooner or later - why not now when he has a bum knee? He's still a threat, but the threat is less than if he was at 100%

He knows he has to face Gus sooner or later, but why not put that off until he fights the weakest DC he's likely to get? He gets another W and hell, Gus may pick up an injury in the meantime himself, or be obligated to take another fight in the meantime which he may lose.

BONES IS NOT SCARED. He's just playing the percentages to get as many wins as possible, and is probably being told that this is smart and just playing the game and being a great businessman by each and every person close to him who stands to gain financially by his continued success. It's sad.

"I'll fight Gustafsson because he was named the number one contender. I'll fight him since I am the champion and since the first fight was one of the toughest of my career. I want to prove that first fight was as close as Gustafsson will ever get to beating me because I've gotten better since then. If I had to pick another opponent, I'd pick Cormier because of his credentials. Yes I have both a height and reach advantage over him, but other people he's faced had similar advantages and they all lost against him. That's a fight I look forward to in the future, but I know I have to focus on Alexander right now."

Edit: "Oh yeah, sorry about all the eye pokes."

I feel like if he had said something to this effect, it would be so much better for him. Another thing I noticed is that Gustafsson has maintained his status as number one contender since beating Manuwa. With the welterweight division having multiple title eliminators in a short span of time, I would have thought the consistency of Gustafsson being next in line would have been unanimously praised. Especially since their first fight was so good. I damn sure want to see the rematch. It could end up just like the first fight or it could end abruptly, much like the Bendo/Cerrone rematch did.

I just want to see Jones/Gustafsson 2. I know I will, but the added drama of all this makes it feel like more of a chore to get there.

Thread Information