Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Jones refusing to fight Goose, wants DC instead

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Pretty much how I feel. I think some of these guys masturbate to their fighter's highlight reels.
    Jeez, if I ever did that to GSP, I'd finally understand what Eddie Murphy meant in being "RAW".

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Pashak?
    To be fair, a lot of us older guys masterbate to Fedor highlight videos.

That shit just gave me a raging semi
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    "I'll fight Gustafsson because he was named the number one contender. I'll fight him since I am the champion and since the first fight was one of the toughest of my career. I want to prove that first fight was as close as Gustafsson will ever get to beating me because I've gotten better since then. If I had to pick another opponent, I'd pick Cormier because of his credentials. Yes I have both a height and reach advantage over him, but other people he's faced had similar advantages and they all lost against him. That's a fight I look forward to in the future, but I know I have to focus on Alexander right now."

Edit: "Oh yeah, sorry about all the eye pokes."

I feel like if he had said something to this effect, it would be so much better for him. Another thing I noticed is that Gustafsson has maintained his status as number one contender since beating Manuwa. With the welterweight division having multiple title eliminators in a short span of time, I would have thought the consistency of Gustafsson being next in line would have been unanimously praised. Especially since their first fight was so good. I damn sure want to see the rematch. It could end up just like the first fight or it could end abruptly, much like the Bendo/Cerrone rematch did.

I just want to see Jones/Gustafsson 2. I know I will, but the added drama of all this makes it feel like more of a chore to get there.
    QFT.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I can see your vinegar strokes from here....

It's embarrassing to have to explain an erection while at work. Thanks.

Per Dave Meltzer:

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/c...wide-tons-more

Jon Jones hasn’t signed a bout agreement so his match with Alexander Gustafsson isn’t official. Dana White this past week said the fight would be in Las Vegas, in either August or September, provided Jones signs for it. Daniel Cormier said that if Jones doesn’t agree to the fight, that he wants to face Gustafsson for the interim title. White said that stories that Jones’ contract expired and he’s negotiating a new deal aren’t correct, and that Jones has five fights left on his current deal. White did an interview with his own web site saying they are not in contract negotiations with Jones, and are just trying to get him to sign the bout agreement for Gustafsson. He said he and Lorenzo Fertitta have a meeting with Jones scheduled for 6/5, and that Jones’ new stance is that he wants to fight Cormier next instead of Gustafsson. That’s interesting because Jones is paid based on the number of PPV buys and Gustafsson would be expected to draw significantly more than anyone else. An interesting stat is that on Fight Pass, the most watched fight in the history of the company, by a ridiculous margin, is the first Jones vs. Gustafsson fight. In fact, there have been more viewers of that fight than have gotten the service, meaning that a significant number of people have watched it over-and-over.

Jones then released a 15 second statement saying how asking to fight an undefeated Olympic wrestler who was Strikeforce champion makes him a coward, and then said, “It’s my career, not yours,” aimed at fans who were critical of him. It came across like an cocky heel promo, which could be fine if he’d embrace that character. Then, when someone realized how it made him into a total heel, they deleted the video quickly. There has been great debate in and out of UFC on Jones. Many think he just needs to go all out heel because at least right now, until he becomes an older legend and people probably will react to him in a different way after years of longevity on top, people aren’t going to like him in great numbers. They’ll like him after every fight, because he showed guts against Belfort and won, he was in a war with Gustafsson and survived and won, and he put on a masterful performance looking like the best fighter in the world against Glover Teixeira. The reality is, if it wasn’t for Jon Jones the person, people would love Jon Jones the fighter. But Jon Jones the person is a constant screw-up as far as P.R. is concerned. The reason his people and UFC fight so hard against going all out heel and presenting the whole dynamic of this cocky asshole and rallying the fans behind the new challenger and playing up this could be the guy, as opposed to let’s watch Jon Jones, the pound-for-pound best guy take on challenger of the month, is twofold. First, there is the feeling he needs to be the face of the company because, by all rights, he should be the biggest draw and is probably a strong No. 2 right now behind a woman and that simply shouldn’t be. The second is the feeling that going heel would hurt his merchandising, and that’s true, it would. Whether people have convinced him, or themselves, that the mixed reaction is because he’s black and successful (beyond pure nonsense), the perception he’s a phony with the religion compared with what people both do and don’t know about his real life (that perception absolutely hurts him) or UFC has brainwashed people for blaming him for the cancellation of the show a few years back (UFC did everything in its power to make him a babyface months after putting the heat on him, because it’s business, but going so hard against a money drawing star, whether justified or not, whether it’s Jones, Steve Austin, Tito Ortiz, Bob Sapp, or anyone else, almost always backfires for the promotion, because the guy almost always comes back because both need each other, and the edge is usually off after the burial).
    Follow the link for the entire write up, Meltzer's radio show today was a lot more detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Looks like Jones is backed into a corner now lol. I mean if he's this scared of a Gus rematch, Gus has probably already won the rematch.
    [

Saw this on FB yesterday. I really liked it and I know Bones Knows will to ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    Saw this on FB yesterday. I really liked it and I know Bones Knows will to ;-)
    sometypeofway...

Jon Bones Jones @JonnyBones · Jun 2

Lol that new lion highlight video got me feeling #sometypeofway

Bas Rutten says UFC champ Jon Jones beatable, just like everyone else
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/video-b...-everyone-else
    “Jon is one of those guys who gets caught in an armbar, and this will probably never happen again now, because he’s the guy who goes back on Monday after the weekend and then he starts working on it so it will never happen again,” said the 49-year-old former champ. “So it made [Jones] a better fighter. But I’m just saying, if it happened with an armbar, it might happen with something else. And if somebody’s really fast, they might slip something on.

“Everybody’s beatable. Mixed martial arts, there’s many ways to win, and that also means there are many ways to lose, as well.”
    “That’s the rule – you really have to take it from the champ,” he said. “I personally think it has to be the other way around, because the champ has to be so good, he needs to be way better than the other person. That’s how I think about it. But unfortunately, it is like that.

“We saw some crazy decisions where we said, ‘Really?’ Because you have to really take it away from the champ in order to get the belt. If [Jones vs. Gustafsson] would have been a normal fight, it could have gone either way really easily. Maybe Gustafsson could have won that fight.”
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 06-05-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Jon Jones seems like the kind of guy who'd masterbate to his own highlight videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Thread Information