Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Jones refusing to fight Goose, wants DC instead

...if this is the "more mature" jones, what was he before? a four-year-old?

...and no mention of the fact that they guy he was calling out is a) injured and b) jones himself had just said he wasn't worthy of his attention 6 months ago.

thin, weak excuses here.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

2. 06-09-2014, 08:58 PM

Daniel Cormier says his knees have been jacked up since he started MMA
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/daniel-...he-started-mma
    A doctor who recently looked at Daniel Cormier‘s knee concluded his injuries were four or five years old, which means his entire MMA career has been fought on an unstable foundation.

“I don’t know the medical terms, but stuff builds up around it over time,” Cormier recently told MMAjunkie Radio. “That’s how you know the length of an injury.”

Despite this, has been able to dominate his opponents in the cage, first at heavyweight and now at light heavyweight. An LCL injury wasn’t enough to slow him down in the cage against Dan Henderson at this past month’s UFC 173. The former PRIDE champ was tossed around the cage before Cormier choked him unconscious, which brought his undefeated streak to 15 pro bouts.

Cormier (15-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) contemplated hitting pause on his career for surgery with his most recent knee trouble, which occurred only weeks prior to his meeting with Henderson, and initially intimated that he would put off a procedure to fight Jon Jones (20-1 MMA, 14-1 UFC) when the champ was hammering out a new contract with the UFC and hedging on a rematch with No. 1 contender Alexander Gustafsson (16-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC).

Cormier also presented the idea of putting up an interim light heavyweight title as Jones remained in limbo. But now that the champ has re-signed and agreed to fight Gustafsson, who gave him his toughest challenge to date at this past fall’s UFC 165, the former heavyweight looks to make the most of what appears to be a long break ahead.

“I was disappointed, but you have to understand, going into this whole thing … I was under the impression that I was not going to fight for the title,” Cormier said. “So this whole whirlwind of Jon saying he would prefer to fight me and then the UFC issues with Jon, that was all a matter of a few days. Even though I was excited and hopeful, I was still realistic.

“The UFC, when there’s normally something they want to happen, it generally happens. And they wanted this fight so bad between these two guys, and obviously, I would have been waiting had I gotten my opportunity, but it was only a couple days. [This past Friday] was tough, though. I was literally just standing by my phone waiting for a phone call from (UFC President) Dana (White) to see what was going to happen, and I got it right after they made the decision.”

Although it appeared Cormier was set on getting his knee repaired, he now says he will do everything possible to avoid surgery.

“(Prior to Jones vs. Gustafsson being rebooked), I would have asked for [a title shot] a little later because of my knee,” he said. “I would have wanted a month to rehab it a little more before I started a training camp, but now, that’s not an issue. I can do all the rehab I need.

“I’m not a guy who likes to do surgery; that’s not my thing. I’ve had enough of them; I broke my thumb, I broke my arm, I broke my hand. Not a real big surgery guy, because once you do a surgery, you’re committed to being off.

“What I’m going to do is really aggressive rehab and hope that it’s strong enough to avoid going under the knife.”

Cormier said there’s another benefit to staying on the sidelines as Jones and Gustafsson fight once again. Rather than rush into a title shot he might or might not be ready for, he’ll have time to improve his skills.

“At the end of the day, I’m not good enough today to win those fights,” he said. “I’ve got to be better than I was against Henderson to beat Gustafsson or Jones.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Other then the video where Jones is obviously trolling people (at least to me) has it really been mentioned by anyone else besides Dana that Jones outright refused to fight Gus? I know there were rumblings about Jones not signing the contract as soon as he did Gus but that was it pretty much.
    Last edited by Rise; 06-09-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Other then the video where Jones is obviously trolling people (at least to me) has it really been mentioned by anyone else besides Dana that Jones outright refused to fight Gus? I know there were rumblings about Jones not signing the contract as soon as he did Gus but that was it pretty much.
    Gus said it also but that doesn't mean much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Gus said it also but that doesn't mean much either.

So Dana White, Jon Jones, DC and Gus all said Jones wanted to fight Cormier over Gus... And you guys are still questioning if it is true or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    So Dana White, Jon Jones, DC and Gus all said Jones wanted to fight Cormier over Gus... And you guys are still questioning if it is true or not?
    I think they're questioning how much of it is a deliberate attempt to goad a public that is pretty much apathetic about jones into feeling something.

If you're a fan of a fighter--a serious, think-about-him-every-day-type-fan--you don't want him to be an asshole. You don't want him even remotely connected with weakness. You want him to be a bit of a hero. So you look for ways to interpret his behavior that are different from the things other people see.

Jones could be trolling.

But I doubt it.

I think he'd happily have taken a fight with DC over Goose, and if DC is injured, so much the better--if he's willing to fight hurt, that's his decision, not the champions. Everybody fights with some degree of injury, right?

But what I come back to is what I want from a champion. I want a fighter who will eagerly look toward the best challenge available. If there is a question about their performance or ability, they want to do everything they can to answer it, swiftly and unequivocally. posting [and deleting] 12 second selfie vids of his nasal cavity isn't going to do anything with jones' critics.

When Chuck was at his peak, he got criticism for "only fighting grapplers." He'd cleared out the division--it wasn't very deep--and was facing guys like Tito again. But Chuck went out and asked for better fighters, he specifically asked to face the guys who had beaten him, like Horn and rampage. He wanted Wandi to sign, he asked for rampage repeatedly.

Sure, that backfired, and he he got destroyed by rampage.

But it was an honest fight, and he walked into it upholding what a champion should be about.

That's what we don't see with Jones.

You can pretend he's ducking Goose, you can pretend he's trolling haters, and that's all perspective, and subjective ideas can rarely be proven.

But what he isn't doing is actively, enthusiastically looking for the biggest mountain to climb. He's looking for the shortest route to the bank.

Just think for a moment, how much better it would be if he simply said: "Goose gets the next shot. He was a very tough opponent, and gave me the closest fight of my career. What's more, he brought up a lot of criticism for me about reach advantages. I'm going to silence those critics. My brother is getting married in August, so I need to push the time table a bit, but I want this fight. If there are questions about me or my ability, I want to answer them in the cage. What's more good news is that my next opponent is currently nursing a knee injury. Taking this fight with Goose gives Cormier the opportunity to get surgery and the time to get 100%. Get healthy Dan, because you're next."

So he could be trolling, or he could be dodging. But what he's not doing is looking for the best challenge out there.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 06-10-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    If you're a fan of a fighter--a serious, think-about-him-every-day-type-fan--you don't want him to be an asshole. You don't want him even remotely connected with weakness. You want him to be a bit of a hero. So you look for ways to interpret his behavior that are different from the things other people see.
    I could care less if the fighter is an asshole. Money Mayweather is an asshole and im a huge fan of his. I personally dont get worked up of petty bullshit like some (not saying you) on here get worked up over. In Jones' case it doesnt matter what he says as i will address in a second.

Jones could be trolling.

But I doubt it.
    Really? You doubt that in the era we live in - when you go on FB, Twitter, IG, random MMA boards, etc where you find countless people trolling other - you dont think its out of the ordinary for Jones to troll the trolls that troll him every second of every day? Because if you just take a second to read through some of the comments on his IG may think otherwise.

I think he'd happily have taken a fight with DC over Goose, and if DC is injured, so much the better--if he's willing to fight hurt, that's his decision, not the champions. Everybody fights with some degree of injury, right?
    Thats exactly right. If he can fight - and as he said this has been a problem since he (DC) started MMA and chooses to fight and proceed to call out the champ, people cant - and shouldnt bitch when the champion answers that call.

But what I come back to is what I want from a champion. I want a fighter who will eagerly look toward the best challenge available. If there is a question about their performance or ability, they want to do everything they can to answer it, swiftly and unequivocally. posting [and deleting] 12 second selfie vids of his nasal cavity isn't going to do anything with jones' critics.
    But his critics are critical of things that have nothing to do with fighting. what that old saying, a lion doesnt lose sleep over the opinion of sheep?

When Chuck was at his peak, he got criticism for "only fighting grapplers." He'd cleared out the division--it wasn't very deep--and was facing guys like Tito again. But Chuck went out and asked for better fighters, he specifically asked to face the guys who had beaten him, like Horn and rampage. He wanted Wandi to sign, he asked for rampage repeatedly.
    Jones cleared out the division - which at the time was deep, gets criticized for "only fighting smaller guys", asks for who many believe is the his toughest test in DC. Im sure if someone actually beat jones he would call them out as well ala chuck.

But it was an honest fight, and he walked into it upholding what a champion should be about.
    In your opinion.

That's what we don't see with Jones.
    Honest fights?

You can pretend he's ducking Goose, you can pretend he's trolling haters, and that's all perspective, and subjective ideas can rarely be proven.

But what he isn't doing is actively, enthusiastically looking for the biggest mountain to climb. He's looking for the shortest route to the bank.
    Hasnt the biggest mountain already been climbed by Jones? Outside of a Goose rematch and a DC fight - there is literally nothing left for him at 205. And if he was looking for the shortest rout to the bank - wouldnt that scream Goose rematch. Lets get real Jones vs Goose II > Jones vs DC when it comes to $$$$ being made by said fighters.

Just think for a moment, how much better it would be if he simply said: "Goose gets the next shot. He was a very tough opponent, and gave me the closest fight of my career. What's more, he brought up a lot of criticism for me about reach advantages. I'm going to silence those critics. My brother is getting married in August, so I need to push the time table a bit, but I want this fight. If there are questions about me or my ability, I want to answer them in the cage. What's more good news is that my next opponent is currently nursing a knee injury. Taking this fight with Goose gives Cormier the opportunity to get surgery and the time to get 100%. Get healthy Dan, because you're next."
    People would call him a cocky asshole for overlooking Goose and saying Cormier is next. They (like always) would nit pick at whatever flaw they think they have found.

So he could be trolling, or he could be dodging. But what he's not doing is looking for the best challenge out there.

rh
    But IS fighting the Best Challenge out there at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

Really? You doubt that in the era we live in - when you go on FB, Twitter, IG, random MMA boards, etc where you find countless people trolling other - you dont think its out of the ordinary for Jones to troll the trolls that troll him every second of every day? Because if you just take a second to read through some of the comments on his IG may think otherwise.
    I find it hard to believe he was trolling, trolling includes wanting a reaction. Jones instantly deleted the video he posted - to avoid a reaction. What other reason would he have deleted it and the numerous other social media posts he jumps to delete.

And if Jones was trolling, this makes me think back to the homophobic slurs he messaged to a fan and then claimed his phone was hacked or it was his social media team.. Is Jones a troll or is he not? Fans of his seem to claim trolling when it is suitable to their argument.

Thats exactly right. If he can fight - and as he said this has been a problem since he (DC) started MMA and chooses to fight and proceed to call out the champ, people cant - and shouldnt bitch when the champion answers that call.
    The champion did not answer that call or give it any credibility to Cormier's call outs until Cormier went public with his knee injury....

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    I could care less if the fighter is an asshole. Money Mayweather is an asshole and im a huge fan of his. I personally dont get worked up of petty bullshit like some (not saying you) on here get worked up over. In Jones' case it doesnt matter what he says as i will address in a second.
    Your history on the board would indicate you get worked up.

Yes, I doubt he's trolling, or trolling 100%. Trolling would be stating something he had no intention of doing, just to get a reaction.

The choices he's made in the past--eagerly fighting MWs, balking at fighting guys his size--would support the belief that if there was official support to overlook Goose and let him fight an injured Cormier, he would.

I believe it was more testing the waters than trolling.

proving my point that he's not looking to face the toughest challenge available, and that some of his fans are somehow OK with that.

But his critics are critical of things that have nothing to do with fighting. what that old saying, a lion doesnt lose sleep over the opinion of sheep?
    Yeah. Much like you saying "you don't get worked up" over shit said on the boards, I guarantee you jones is disturbed by the opinion of fans. His actions repeatedly illustrate that.

Jones cleared out the division - which at the time was deep, gets criticized for "only fighting smaller guys", asks for who many believe is the his toughest test in DC. Im sure if someone actually beat jones he would call them out as well ala chuck.
    unsurprisingly, you've missed the point of my post.

tito whined and complained about having to fight Chuck, much like jones whining and complaining about having to fight--well, any actual LHW in the last two years. Chuck didn't complain about opponents, he actively sought them out.

In your opinion.
    Of course it's my opinion. That's why I embed phrases like "I believe" or "I think."

Honest fights?
    Yes, honest fights.

Honest championship fights, at that.

There is a tremendous difference between simply being a fighter and being a Champion. There is a tremendous difference between simply being a Champion and being an ambassador for the sport. But again, all sense of subtlety is beyond your ability to understand.

Hasnt the biggest mountain already been climbed by Jones? Outside of a Goose rematch and a DC fight - there is literally nothing left for him at 205. And if he was looking for the shortest rout to the bank - wouldnt that scream Goose rematch. Lets get real Jones vs Goose II > Jones vs DC when it comes to $$$$ being made by said fighters.
    Once again, you fail to comprehend what I've written. the shortest route to the bank isn't necessarily the one that makes the most money. It's the one with the least risk. Actively seeking fights with MWs is the least risk. Actively seeking fights with injured opponents is the least risk.

Funny that you bring up that there isn't anything left for him at LHW, after he's stated he no longer has intentions to move up and actually face fighters his size.

People would call him a cocky asshole for overlooking Goose and saying Cormier is next. They (like always) would nit pick at whatever flaw they think they have found.
    Yeah, that's the biggest problem with what I've written, and posting 12 second selfie whines is sooooo much more becoming of a champion.

But IS fighting the Best Challenge out there at the end of the day.
    Being forced to fight Goose is exactly the same actively seeking him out without ever whining about it.

And a Prius is exactly the same as a Ferrari.
    rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Dana - As far as he is concerned you can;t take anything he says at face value when it comes to promotion or fight announcements

Jones - The only thing I heard from him on this is the one video where like I said in my opinion he was trolling.

DC - He said he would take the fight if offered. His information to the nearest I can tell was coming from the media

Gus - Other then the delay on the fight being signed by Jones and a direct response to media inquires he doesn't have alot to show that Jones outright refused to fight him

I'm not saying that Jones did or didn't demand DC instead just that I'm not willing to accept Dana's rendition of how things played out here.

Thread Information