Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Jones refusing to fight Goose, wants DC instead

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Jones isnt ducking anyone, he has fought a whos who at LHW and walked away the winner everytime(Hamill does not count, as he still walked away as Matt was laying on the canvas and the UFC moved along like he won. He is prob just chillin at home eating cereal on top of the bout papers just chuckling. His people are smart, they are taking care of him, making people talk, assume things etc etc

At the end of the day, Jones retains the title against DC or Gus.
    I don't think he retains it against either.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

People getting riled up over here say. Whats new?
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Dana should poke Jones in the eyes.

My guess is that he "knows" he isn't invincible against Goose, and would rather take a chance at a reasonably risky unknown than a rematch against a known serious threat. He is probably way more comfortable when he can at least tell himself he is the better fighter going in. Plus, it doesn't look like ducking when you call out DC...even though it is.

Between the Sonnen/Vitor/Wandy bullshit, and now this...remember when we just talked about fights? And not this soap opera egomaniacal he said she said bullshit? I miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Can't we just have a triple threat match? Just this once

Seriously though, I don't think it's being done to hype the rematch between Pokes and Gus. That fight is already going to sell HUGE because of how good/close the first fight was, and they're on the cover of the UFC game. Most anticipated rematch since Silva/Sonnen.

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Personally, I think DC is a worse matchup for Jones than Goose. I'd like to give Jones the benefit of the doubt and think that he'd rather face an equally tough, or potentially tougher, fighter in DC, than rematch a guy who he already has a win over. It's not like DC doesn't have some hype behind him now.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    Personally, I think DC is a worse matchup for Jones than Goose. I'd like to give Jones the benefit of the doubt and think that he'd rather face an equally tough, or potentially tougher, fighter in DC, than rematch a guy who he already has a win over. It's not like DC doesn't have some hype behind him now.
    That and DC isn't getting any younger. People have to remember that Jones isn't ducking both fighters. He is stating that he wants to fight DC first (the tougher matchup IMO) over Goose. Now that's IF Dana is telling the truth here.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    I keep seeing this, and correct me if im wrong- but didnt Aldo bitch forever about re matching Mendes? And one can argue GSP did it with Diaz.
    On Aldo, I'd say there is a difference between a web journalist asking his opinion on who deserves the next shot and telling your boss that you're not going to sign. I don't respect dana, but he's not some hack from the internets with a digital recorder and access to a keyboard.

I'd also say one or two questions in an interview don't equate to what jones has done: he went on a very outspoken and specific pogram to devalue Cormier as a candidate, saying he hasn't beaten anyone, and that a win over Cummins wasn't anything, etc. Aldo didn't do anything like that, he simply said Lamas has a better record--and he was right.

There is also a big difference between the rematches in that the Goose/jones was a razor thin, controversial decision. Aldo finished Mendes in the first round. I understand there is controversy from the fence grab, but Mendes was losing that round regardless, his shots were getting stuffed and he was lit up on the feet. You can't really compare the two scenarios with any degree of parity.

On the Georges/Diaz thing, I'm leaning on taking St. Pierre's word for it that he was told to fight Nick over Hendricks, and the "Georges asked for him" was so much smoke and mirrors; but that's because of an admitted bias against dana's bullshit. But I'd agree 100% that it was wrong and it stands as a tremendous black mark on an otherwise sterling career for St. Pierre.

In short, I'd say there are multiple examples of champions being too vocal about who they should fight next, I actually think that's encouraged by zuffa brass. Anderson and soares were among the very worst.

But I can't think of anyone who has brought it down to the level jones seems to be doing.

Again, I'm willing to give him some benefit of the doubt, as the primary source of this is dana, and dana lies. but the clock is ticking on him.

Fighters fight. Champions defend against the best.

Anything else is ducking.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    I keep seeing this, and correct me if im wrong- but didnt Aldo bitch forever about re matching Mendes? And one can argue GSP did it with Diaz.

EDIT:

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/15/47...-wants-ricardo
    GSP wanted to fight Diaz so badly, he didn't refuse to fight anyone else because of it though. Also Aldo simply stating that he didn't think the rematch was warranted is by no means the same as refusing to sign a contract.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information