Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 235

Thread: Dana White: Jones refusing to fight Goose, wants DC instead

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    fighter bashing from an admin? say it aint so.


    On topic. Lets all wait in anticipation for the fight to be announced Thursday after this "meeting". Ppl freak the fuck out over anything Jones does - As we see with the post above, as well as the countless Jones threads. Funny how ppl can go from disagreeing with everything Dana says but whenever it slightly favors their opinion on a subject - especially a Jones one, they beleive every word he says.

    Question, how many times have we herd Dana say this same shit about other fighters when booking a fight? It helps sell the fucking fight. Notice how Jones doesnt give a fuck? Why? Because all these fairweather fans who will buy the fight because of the hype around will actually believe the nonsense Dana sells them, and at the end of the day that = $$$$ for Jones.
    A champion who apparently does not want to defend his belt against the number one contender is... well... disgraceful.

    Oh and I think calling a fighter disgraceful is a bit of a stretch for fighter bashing.

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    I keep seeing this, and correct me if im wrong- but didnt Aldo bitch forever about re matching Mendes? And one can argue GSP did it with Diaz.

    EDIT:

    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/15/47...-wants-ricardo
    So in your first post you stick up for Jones and state these claims are all bullshit made up by Dana to sell fights...

    In the next post, you attempt to justify the Jon's actions by claiming both Aldo and GSP did the same thing (ducking fights).

    Which is it, fake or a justified move by Jones?

    I see a couple things wrong with your logic.. just because other champs have done it doesn't mean it isnt a douche move. I remember both Aldo and GSP catching heat for their actions.

    A second point worth noting is, Aldo finished Mendes in the first round. GSP had not almost been dethroned by Diaz.. Where as Jones was almost beat by Gus, some would even claim it was a shitty decision which should have gone Gus's way. Gus deserves another shot at Jones.. Diaz didnt deserve a shot at GSP.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    14,104

    Default

    OK, I'm going to do some quick equations.

    Jones bites on the Glover fight over an immediate Goose rematch, knowing that he wasn't going to pull down anywhere near the money with Glover and ZUFFA was entirely willing to book the rematch given the first bout's popularity....

    Now, Jones says he wants DC over the Goose rematch that everyone has expected, where again there's big money to be made.

    And now we know that Cormier's knee is fucked up and may eventually require surgery. However, he would gut it out if it means a shot at Jones, but he won't be 100% and that's gotta factor in to Jones asking for him over a waiting in the wings Goose.

    Like Glover, Cormier would be a LHW not posing the same size threat that gave Goose such a shot the first time out.

    Hmmmmm.

    Yup, Jones is ducking Goose. I think Jones wins the rematch, but he's going out of his way to avoid it. Jones and ZUFFA talk this Thursday to attempt to settle this situation and Greg Jackson has said he's good with a Goose rematch.

    Jones just can't make himself good PR despite the fact that he should be the fucking centrepiece of the fucking promotion...

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    And now we know that Cormier's knee is fucked up and may eventually require surgery. However, he would gut it out if it means a shot at Jones, but he won't be 100% and that's gotta factor in to Jones asking for him over a waiting in the wings Goose.

    Like Glover, Cormier would be a LHW not posing the same size threat that gave Goose such a shot the first time out.

    Hmmmmm.
    I didnt even think of that...

    What a champ, Jones calls out the number two contender a couple days after DC announces he has a knee injury that needs to be repaired.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    UFC 165, Jones vs Goose did 310k PPV buys with a $1.9M gate.
    UFC 172, Jones vs Glover did 350k PPV buys with a $2.9M gate

    I think numbers would be in the same range if it was against Cormier. I think the numbers would be higher in a Goose rematch, but probably won't reach twice the amount as the first fight.

    By the way, Zuffa is on its way to the worst year in PPV buys sine the TUF-era, and I'd speculate that between shoving all these WWE novelty acts/promos, multiple fight cards in a month that the fan forgets which is the PPV weekend, and of course shoving down our throats the 2 biggest divas as the company's poster child (Jones, Rousey), I think more people than usual have been turned off by the Zuffa product.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Saskatoon
    Posts
    980

    Default

    I think the main part of the UFC not selling many ppvs anymore is due to the fact that with all the influx of fighters in the UFC that to the casual fan the cards are watered down. You are lucky if there is 4 big names on a card.

    Back on topic tho. I don't have a problem with champs saying who they would like to fight if they do not have an opponent scheduled yet. Or if there is actual bad blood between the two fighters, but if we can actually take Dana's word than it is a pretty punk move to refuse to sign the fight contract.
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,717

    Default

    The novelty of Super Fights, and trying to fast track every marketable contender, has taken its toll. I love steak, but give me steak for every meal, and in 2-3 years I'm gonna be sick of steak. You can't truly appreciate steak without some hamburger thrown in, and maybe even an occasional ham sandwich. When you hype the every loving shit out of everything, put all of your very best stuff out to see, and then still have to keep going, you are eventually gonna screw yourself. You gotta make the special stuff special by letting it happen naturally, and not forcing it.
    USA! USA! USA!

    Stealing is wrong!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Chael Sonnen is going to have to step up and fight Jones again

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    The novelty of Super Fights, and trying to fast track every marketable contender, has taken its toll. I love steak, but give me steak for every meal, and in 2-3 years I'm gonna be sick of steak. You can't truly appreciate steak without some hamburger thrown in, and maybe even an occasional ham sandwich. When you hype the every loving shit out of everything, put all of your very best stuff out to see, and then still have to keep going, you are eventually gonna screw yourself. You gotta make the special stuff special by letting it happen naturally, and not forcing it.
    Explained just about perfectly. And WWE has the same exact problem. Every next event is the biggest, most historical, best ever. Sign of the times I guess. They seem to kind of erase history while they're doing that. Only hyping current talent with video clips and not getting to relive some of the old glory of stars from the past.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    A champion who apparently does not want to defend his belt against the number one contender is... well... disgraceful.

    Oh and I think calling a fighter disgraceful is a bit of a stretch for fighter bashing.
    When you say
    what a pitiful excuse for a champion
    about a guy who has defended the belt a record 7 times and then go onto say
    There's not an ounce of fighter in him. He's pure athlete. Nothing more. Put him in a baseball jersey and send him off please.
    its fighter bashing.

    So in your first post you stick up for Jones and state these claims are all bullshit made up by Dana to sell fights...

    In the next post, you attempt to justify the Jon's actions by claiming both Aldo and GSP did the same thing (ducking fights).
    No, in my next post i answered W.Silva>C.Norris's question which asked if any other champion not named anderson did this and i pointed out two. I was not attempting to justify anything in the second post

    Which is it, fake or a justified move by Jones?
    Depends how you are looking at the situation. If its Dana flipping the fuck out an announcing fights early - like they did with Glover it can be justified - especially if they are talking about moving this fight to Sweden still. Sorry, call be a nutthugger or what have you - but im its bullshit if they make him go defend the belt in the challengers hometown rather than Vegas or a neutral site.


    I see a couple things wrong with your logic.. just because other champs have done it doesn't mean it isnt a douche move. I remember both Aldo and GSP catching heat for their actions
    .

    Once again, answering a question from an above post - who made it seem like its only Jones and Anderson who have done it - when in reality the majority of champions do it. Weather or not they caught heat for it is irrelevant to me.



    A second point worth noting is, Aldo finished Mendes in the first round. GSP had not almost been dethroned by Diaz.. Where as Jones was almost beat by Gus, some would even claim it was a shitty decision which should have gone Gus's way. Gus deserves another shot at Jones.. Diaz didnt deserve a shot at GSP.
    Okay, so because he finished Mendes (in controversial fashion) He can say that Chad who was on a 5 fight win streak over a 2 year period since his fight with Aldo isnt worthy of a title shot because he didnt beat anyone in the top 10...boy that sounds a little familiar...didnt Jones take a bunch of heat for saying that same thing about DC?

    Aldos words:
    Chad Mendes is still starting, haven't fought anyone ranked yet, only fought guys that are not that good. He's coming off good wins, but he hasn't beaten good guys. So I believe the next two should be Ricardo Lamas and Cub Swanson."
    And the GSP argument was him choosing Diaz, over Hendricks who everyone said was the real #1 contender.
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 06-03-2014 at 01:35 PM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    481

    Default

    I think it would be a tough fight for him to take on Cormier. I kind of want to see this fight.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •