Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Jones refusing to fight Goose, wants DC instead

I would doubt those back and forth discussion would even be taking place if Jones didn't bail out on UFC 151. After that, it makes stuff like this seem believable.

let me ask a question and please don't flame me because its just a question and not 100% what I think should happen. just want to see what people think.

Lets say DW is telling the truth and Bones will not sign the bout agree agreement to fight Goose. Don you think he should be Stripped of the UFC title? The reason I bring this up is because we don't need MMA to turn in to Boxing where the Champ pretty much picks their fights. The UFC could set a Precedence. Ok your the champ and you don't want to fight who we deem next in line, your not the champ anymore. Have a fight they did when GSP left to crown a new champ and have the for champ work their way back up the rankings by having a fight or 2. Thoughts?

1st Degree Black Belt American Kickboxing
    Belt: 2010 W.K.K.O U.S. Tournament Runner Up 132lbs.
    Silver Medal: 2011 W.K.A North American Tournament Runner Up 141lbs

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword View Post
    let me ask a question and please don't flame me because its just a question and not 100% what I think should happen. just want to see what people think.

Lets say DW is telling the truth and Bones will not sign the bout agree agreement to fight Goose. Don you think he should be Stripped of the UFC title? The reason I bring this up is because we don't need MMA to turn in to Boxing where the Champ pretty much picks their fights. The UFC could set a Precedence. Ok your the champ and you don't want to fight who we deem next in line, your not the champ anymore. Have a fight they did when GSP left to crown a new champ and have the for champ work their way back up the rankings by having a fight or 2. Thoughts?
    I think it should be a threat that is used early, and often, not just with Bones, but with everybody. Champion isn't a feel good title, it is a hard earned and hard kept title. Cruz should have been stripped WAY before he was. Feelings of "Oh, tough break", and "Well he wants to fight this guy, and not this guy", should be left at the door. The champ should always be fighting the #1 contender, and if not, then the #1 contender should be fighting the #2 contender for championship, winner gets the #3 contender (who is now the #1 contender). The champ is the best fighter at his weight class, not the best match up maker. If the champ wants to apply for that job too, then good luck, but in the mean time, they should do their job.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by end it with a left View Post
    I think the main part of the UFC not selling many ppvs anymore is due to the fact that with all the influx of fighters in the UFC that to the casual fan the cards are watered down. You are lucky if there is 4 big names on a card.
    I'm not interested enough to sit down and do the math, but it would be telling to sit down and break down the total buy-rate and total gate revenues by year. I would assume that with production costs, if 2014 dips below 2012, we'd see fewer cards, but cards that were more stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Okay, so because he finished Mendes (in controversial fashion) He can say that Chad who was on a 5 fight win streak over a 2 year period since his fight with Aldo isnt worthy of a title shot because he didnt beat anyone in the top 10...boy that sounds a little familiar...didnt Jones take a bunch of heat for saying that same thing about DC?
    I know you'd like it to be the same thing, but it really isn't.

It wasn't like DC hadn't beaten a top 10 fighter. He was the #2 ranked HW, and had beaten several. That would be more equivalent to Aldo facing Florian and then Edgar; fighters who were very successful at a higher weight, and then dropped down to make a run at the title in a lighter class.

I also think it's hilarious that you can somehow utterly dismiss jones' eyepokes/assorted fouls but can still call the Mendes finish controversial. The reflexive fence grab happens far more often than eyepokes, but whatever.

And back to the actual question, I haven't seen a champion simply refusing to sign a bout agreement--or even delaying it this much, hoping to prompt a change of opponents. Neither Georges nor Aldo came close to that. Nobody has, to my knowledge.

If dana's version is accurate--and that's obviously a long shot--than I'd agree with everything Ramma stated about jones.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I think it should be a threat that is used early, and often, not just with Bones, but with everybody. Champion isn't a feel good title, it is a hard earned and hard kept title. Cruz should have been stripped WAY before he was. Feelings of "Oh, tough break", and "Well he wants to fight this guy, and not this guy", should be left at the door. The champ should always be fighting the #1 contender, and if not, then the #1 contender should be fighting the #2 contender for championship, winner gets the #3 contender (who is now the #1 contender). The champ is the best fighter at his weight class, not the best match up maker. If the champ wants to apply for that job too, then good luck, but in the mean time, they should do their job.
    Champs should be scheduling defenses a minimum of every 6 months, and should be stripped if they've gone 11 months without a bout, whether it's because of injury or not.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I agree completely. I would actually like to see the belt defended 3 times a year if possible.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

I agree completely. I would actually like to see the belt defended 3 times a year if possible.
    thats a long shot at best. 12 months in a year so you want a guy to go through a 3 month camp fight - take a week off - then jump back into a 3 month camp? Not to mention damage from fight to fight. Thats not realistic imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    thats a long shot at best. 12 months in a year so you want a guy to go through a 3 month camp fight - take a week off - then jump back into a 3 month camp? Thats not realistic imo.
    If a guy wins in dominant fashion, why does he need that long? I'm not saying it should be expected, but I would like it to happen sometimes.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

I will say one thing, if any champion in the history of the UFC deserves a little bit of a layoff, its Jones. Besides that toe injury, the dude has been pumping out fights every 6 months. Against the cream of the crop too. With that being said, I guarantee he ends up fighting Goose by sept.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

If a guy wins in dominant fashion, why does he need that long? I'm not saying it should be expected, but I would like it to happen sometimes.
    because they have a family, kids, a life outside of fighting. I get being champion comes with having little time for those things - but we cant expect a guy to do this year after year. I saw something say that Robbie Lawler hasnt seen his wife and kids in something like 14 weeks. Thats fucking crazy.

Thread Information