Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manager: Silva return likely early 2015, potentially vs. Nick Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Even if it was clowning I would argue that it is irrelevant. Weidman threw an ugly sloppy goofy looking back hand that served the purpose of making Silva move his head towards Weidmans left that led to the knockdown punch. What looked, at least to me as desperation, was actually a pretty sweet set up move to end the fight.
    That's been discussed as well. Weidman has talked about how most over committed fighters tend to throw alternate strikes left-right-left or right-left-right as they try to regain some balance--think Forrest haplessly windmilling at the nothing Silva left him with. He's stated he'd studied the film enough to know he could land if he mixed it up instead. The backhand was enough to put Anderson off balance--much like he'd routinely done to his opponents--setting up bigger shots.

Chris has talked about that, and the intention behind the knee-check, and [unlike Anderson, or jones, or dana] there hasn't been any tangible reason to doubt the veracity of his statements.

With Silva's age combined with the fact that he appeared to be slowing down even before the Weidman fight along with his injury and I am actually move excited about BJ Edgar 3 at this point. Silva comes back and crushes someone and that might change however
    I'm excited to see Anderson fight, whomever. I still think it will be Bisping. But there are a lot of compelling reasons to watch the guy fight anybody.

I just think it's funny how pervasive the "Edger-pwned-Penn-in-both-fights-so-I'm-not-watching-it" nonsense is among today's viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    I was watching mma then, but actually missed that fight due to work, and was not into the forums or posting then. I've actually learned a lot of this forum, and am happy to stand corrected on that point.
    I apologize if my statement came off more douche-y than my usual douche-quota.
    I work with a lot of people who got into MMA in the last few years, and know zero beyond what dana or rogaine tell them.

I still would like to see a rematch that does end in a second rd leg break... Assuming he returns successfully and earns the shot.
    I'm assuming you mean doesn't end in a break?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Hahaha. Not douchey at all man. I can accept when I'm wrong. And yes. Doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    Hahaha. Not douchey at all man. I can accept when I'm wrong. And yes. Doesn't.
    If you haven't watched that fight yet, I'd REALLY recommend watching it with the sound completely off.
    That's one of the fights I point to when I talk about how much announcing influenced popular opinion. Cue up some good stuff in iTunes and just watch the action.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Nick Diaz to Anderson Silva: Fire your coach
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...re-your-coach/
    In what may be cunning trash talk, Diaz took issue not with Silva, but with his trainers.

"Anderson Silva should've used his hands much more to strike Weidman because Weidman was dropping his hands and chin was straight up," said Diaz. "There were several instances of using punches would've been more effective than the leg kicks on the second match. "

"I'll tell you what, I think he should fire his trainer and hire himself a boxing trainer that teaches him how to put punches out. I don't talk no s---. I aint trying to talk no s---. Of course he's got as many fights as he wants to have, but people saying s--- like, 'He should retire. He's not going to be the same.' I'm like, 'Fire your coach and get somebody to train your punches.'"

"His last fight, he had punches for him, but he didn't have no punches. Know what I'm sayin'? That was the key. Putting punches out there but he had no punches for that guy. So then he started lobbing kicks out there and you saw what happened to his leg. He didn't have no answer for it."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Grammar Nick. Jesus. The words you were looking for were "any" and "an" not "no".

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    If you look at his history, Anderson often used superior head movement to get fighters to commit to strikes while staying just outside of their range. One of the [many!] reasons why Anderson was so successful is he generally had a reach advantage over these opponents, meaning that he could stay just out of their range while putting an over-committed fighter within his own range. Couple that with a striker of a prime Anderson's speed and accuracy, and you're going to have a counterstrike clinic.

It wasn't clowning, it was an effective strategy, but one that failed to account for Weidman's range. Anderson miscalculated in a deliberate and strategic move he'd played so often before, and it cost him.

rh
    It was mental warfare as well. He had recently broken Okami and Bonnar's spirit with the strategy.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I was just talking to a huge Anderson fan about Silva's return. This guy thinks he's going to make another run at the title and beat Weidman in a third fight. Conversely, the same guy has "absolutely zero interest" in the third Penn/Edgar fight, but would probably light himself on fire for the opportunity to watch Weidman beat up his idol again.

MMA fans are weird.

rh
    While I'm convinced Weidman has Silva's number, I am interested to see if Silva comes back and gets himself in a JDS situation where he beats the rest of the field with ease but can't get the belt. Probably not though. Middleweight is looking pretty stacked compared to a couple years ago.

I honestly think he wins two or three fights and retires. I would have bet long money on Bisping as the comeback bout, but it's looking more like Diaz gets to see him first. If he wins those two, he's what, 41? 42? He can retire peacefully, gracefully.

He doesn't owe anyone anything at this point in his career.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

White open to Diaz vs. Silva
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...Diaz-vs-Silva/

"I think it'd be tough for Anderson to make 170 [pounds]," White contended. "A few years ago he was saying he could do it, but I don't know about now. You're not getting any younger."

Still, those are issues to iron out when the time comes. White noted he'll talk to both parties when the time is right. Until then, however, he's expressing nothing but enthusiasm for the idea. If the parties want it, he stated, he's in no position to stamp out their idea.

"Anderson wants to fight Nick. Nick wants to fight Anderson," he said. "Why would I say no?"
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

99.9% sure that fight won't be at 170lbs, Silva's way too big for Diaz anyway waste of a fight IMO.

Thread Information