Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chael Sonnen fails random drug test

It's not that his body is over producing estrogen per se, it's that his testosterone levels are so low, that his estrogen levels are disproportionately high. Those drugs prevent estrogen from binding to proteins then actually turning into something undesireable.

If his testosterone levels were really high, he wouldnt' be taking SERMs, he'd be taking Aromitase inhibitors, which inhibits the body's tendency to change testosterone into estrogen when the levels are out of whack.

There's actually a scenario where he's taking those drugs (selective estrogen-receptor modulators, or SERM) for a "therapeutic" reason, kind of in the same way you'd get testosterone replacement therapy; you'd just be tackling the problem of low testosterone from a different angle. Instead of boosting your T levels, you'd try to inhibit the effects of estrogen.

There's also a scenario where he's taking those drugs because he's just finished running a steroid cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Can someone who has knowledge tell me what those two drugs do for someone who is taking them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I dont claim to be someone of knowledge, but a quick internet search states both seem to work as a estrogen blocker or estrogen receptor cell modifier.

I would assume, Sonnen's body is over producing estrogen due to his past trt and extremely high testosterone levels.

Clomiphene is on the list of illegal doping agents listed by the World Anti Doping agency.
    Basically they both mimic the actions of testosterone.

3. 06-10-2014, 04:37 PM

was literally just getting ready to post the article about the fight being scrapped due to Chael failing his random screen....dammit Chael. Not surprised, just disappointed as someone else said. I like Chael and if he really cant do the sport without TRT, I hope he stays as a commentator on UFC Tonight as well as maybe some other organizations events.
    The two substances that Sonnen tested positive for are Anastrozole and Clomifene, which can both be used to treat symptoms related to hypogonadism, a condition for which Sonnen used to use a testosterone replacement therapy regimen.
    Not like he was doing anything different that he wasnt doing before with his TRT, I dont see a huge problem here since these substances are used in the treatment of his condition. The NSAC shutting down TRT is whatgot him. So stupid that he kept on with it tho, knowing full well it was put on blast and they were done with that shit
    Sonnen tested positive for anastrozole, which is used to treat early stages of breast cancer as well as Clomiphene which increases testosterone levels in men suffering from hypogonadism and is used by women in cases of infertility. Sonnen has publicly said several times that he suffers from hypogonadism, and after the UFC’s ban of TRT that he “May have to stop the sport.”
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    What's Anthony Johnson doing right now?

God knows he didn't get hurt in his last outing and the fight's at 205 anyway.

I'd watch that rematch.
    Rumble vs Belfort! yesss! I'm with ya. That rematch could be siick with Rumble looking pretty damn good since his return to the UFC after a stint in WSoF, looks like he may of got a fire lit under his ass to be honest. He's looked like he's got it together and he should be ready to go as long as he's been actively training, he was definitely unscathed last outing.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

...Damn it

Can't he just fight Wandy now in like a parking garage or an almost empty pool like Lion Heart...A raquet ball court or something...
    Believe in Chimichanga's

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Can someone who has knowledge tell me what those two drugs do for someone who is taking them?
    I can.

Synthetic test shuts down natural production drastically....often completely. Post cycle therapy (ancillary drugs) serve as a kick-start to resume production. That's clomid.

Aramidex stops estrogen production and blocks the less than attractive side-effects involved (see bitch tits, tiny nuts, large prostate and high voice). Aramidex also prevents the excess test from being aromatized into estrogen.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

LMAO! this shit is ridiculous at this point.

Chael Sonnen admits to taking banned substances, calls positive test 'confusing'

As he has been known to do these days, Chael Sonnen broke the news on Tuesday that he had failed a random drug test administered by the Nevada Athletic Commission on May 24.

Sonnen appeared on "Jay Mohr Sports" on FOX Sports Radio to explain his side of the story.

"They changed the ruling in Nevada. Earlier this year they did away with what's known as TRT -- Testosterone Replacement Therapy -- in Nevada, and I was on that. So when they changed the rule, we all had to go through a transition phase. For me, for the transition, I had to take a couple of things: one is called clomiphene and the other is called HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin). So this is what we did. And I took my boards out of the water in the meantime, meaning I didn't fight, I didn't ask for a license. You had to wait to cross this bridge, if you will.

"In the interim, they did a test. I tested positive for these things, which I should have. I took them. They were in my system. That wasn't a surprise. These aren't anabolics, these aren't steroids, these aren't performance-enhancers. None of that stuff. But they have deemed that they are banned substances.

"What's interesting, in my case, we're out of competition. These are not things that I showed up with on gameday. This is out of competition due to a rule that they changed. So this is kind of an odd spot for me.

"What happens is they do out-of-competition testing, and the lab that they went to is the USADA [United States Anti-Doping Agency] lab. Now the USADA lab is the greatest lab in the world. It's a very sensitive test. We had done our own tests, at our own labs, and we thought that everything was out of the system. These were not secrets that I took this stuff. This is what you have to take when you're coming off testosterone. But any rate, it was picked up on their test. Now they can handle that however they want. They can look at that and go, Yeah, this makes sense to us, or they can say, You know what? We don't like this. And they can do either one. They're the commission. I just got to be a reactor and live with it. The confusing part is for a non-anabolic, non-steroid, non-performance enhancing agent that is perfectly legal that I need for a healthy life, essentially they're saying you gotta choose between health and sport.

"It's very tough for me too because I did a number of interviews talking about what I've done, whether it's on UFC Tonight, Canada, UK, Brazil ... I couldn't have told any more people. So when this came back they said, Why did this come back in your system? I said, Why did it come back in my system? Because I took it. I've been taking it. I had to take it because you guys changed the rules. So I did feel a little bit frustrated in that regard. And they may listen to me, they may agree with me, but the way this works is I now have to go to a hearing. And that hearing gets kicked down the road who knows how many days. I have a fight in 30 days, there's no way the hearing will be before then."

According to NAC chairman Francisco Aguilar, Sonnen did not notify the commission that he was using Anastrozole and Clomiphene, the banned substances he tested positive for, before the test happened.

The next Nevada Athletic Commission hearing is set for June 17. While the official agenda hasn't been set for it yet, there has been some talk already of including the Sonnen case on the agenda. That said, this positive test eliminates any chance of Sonnen fighting on July 5 against Vitor Belfort, who ironically is already slated to have his hearing on June 17 for his failed drug test in February. There is no word just yet on whether the UFC will still try to book Belfort on that card, but it is worth noting that top contenders Luke Rockhold and Ronaldo Souza will not be healthy to fight in a matter of weeks as they are both dealing with separate injuries.

Sonnen concluded with this:

"There is a little bit of a confusion on the rules. It's kind of tough where you're like, Oh, really? This is a banned substance? Where do we find that? Who exactly do we go to for clarity on this? And the commission has always been very clear. Whether it's the Nevada Commission, and now there is a new guy at the helm [Bob Bennett], but the old executive director [Keith Kizer], I've got quotes I downloaded right off the Internet, but he has been very clear that there is a clear distinctions between gameday and out-of-competition testing. Now you could never take an anabolic or anything, I understand that. This is not an anabolic. This is not a steroid. These are just the substances I had to go to transition, who's also having -- this is a very private part of my life I wasn't planning to share with anybody -- but I'm having fertility issues."

Both Anastrozole and Clomiphene are named as prohibited substances on page 5 of the USADA banned substance list.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/10...-positive-test

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Chael Sonnen admits to taking banned substances, calls positive test 'confusing'

These are just the substances I had to go to transition, who's also having -- this is a very private part of my life I wasn't planning to share with anybody -- but I'm having fertility issues."
    Robert Mathis of the Indianapolis Colts was just suspended for the latter and also cited "fertility issues" as him and the wife were having problems getting preggers.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Wait for it........

BULLSHIT!!!!!!

No way does he use Aramidex and clomid for fertility in this day and age.

Fucking lies. Just like Mathis.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

Chael already trying to spin it...

For me, for the transition, I had to take a couple of things: one is called clomiphene and the other is called HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin). So this is what we did. And I took my boards out of the water in the meantime, meaning I didn't fight, I didn't ask for a license. You had to wait to cross this bridge, if you will.

"In the interim, they did a test. I tested positive for these things, which I should have. I took them. They were in my system. That wasn't a surprise. These aren't anabolics, these aren't steroids, these aren't performance-enhancers. None of that stuff. But they have deemed that they are banned substances."

Officially, the Nevada Athletic Commission states that Sonnen tested positive for Anastrozole and Clomiphene, not HCG. However, if that was also in his system, Nevada recently announced that Dennis Siver failed a drug test following UFC 168 for taking HCG.
    According to NAC chairman Francisco Aguilar, Sonnen did not notify the commission that he was using Anastrozole and Clomiphene before the test happened.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 06-10-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information