Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chael Sonnen announces he's retiring

Of course!! I am now in tears missing him
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Like him or not i think he's handled this better than most other fighters would have
    Favourites- Fedor, Randy, the Nogs, Bas, Hunt, Igor Vovchanchyn, Lesnar, Chael, Jennum, Matt Brown, Taktarov, Pat Barry, Bam Bam Dewees, Hamill, Renzo, Cro Cop, Te Huna, Maia, Lawler, Mousasi

Quote Originally Posted by Bendeko View Post

Like him or not i think he's handled this better than most other fighters would have
    I strongly disagree. Spinning it more than anyone else would and handling it better than anyone else would are not the same thing. Chael is not a victim in this but is trying to paint himself as a martyr which is complete horse shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendeko View Post
    I don't really see how. He's playing the whole I didn't know any better routine which he tried before the last time he was busted. He's already outright lied and back tracked to save face.

Doing the same thing every other guy does that gets busted... deflects blame elsewhere, claims ignorance in knowing the rules and expectations, and brings up some medical need that it was intended for after getting caught.

Well as a fan I'm disappointed to hear that he is retiring, but its probably for the best. I honestly think Dana "helped" him come to this dicision. As long as Chael is still on fox commentating and within the good graces of the UFC there's always hope that he'll get Goldberg's job or something better.

Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    Well as a fan I'm disappointed to hear that he is retiring, but its probably for the best. I honestly think Dana "helped" him come to this dicision. As long as Chael is still on fox commentating and within the good graces of the UFC there's always hope that he'll get Goldberg's job or maybe Dana's.
    Sonnen can still make a ton of money for the company from fighting, so while we all know Dana is capable of helping with retirements, I don't think that's what he wanted. I know it isn't a popular sentiment, but I honestly believe Sonnen was in it primarily for the belt. I'd say this was the nail in the coffin of him ever being champion, so he moved on.
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I don't really see how. He's playing the whole I didn't know any better routine which he tried before the last time he was busted. He's already outright lied and back tracked to save face.

Doing the same thing every other guy does that gets busted... deflects blame elsewhere, claims ignorance in knowing the rules and expectations, and brings up some medical need that it was intended for after getting caught.
    He said that the rules aren't clear cut but how is he deflecting blame? He admitted to taking the substances. He gave his explanation as to why he took them, and he said he'd do it all again. How is that 'back-tracking'?
    Favourites- Fedor, Randy, the Nogs, Bas, Hunt, Igor Vovchanchyn, Lesnar, Chael, Jennum, Matt Brown, Taktarov, Pat Barry, Bam Bam Dewees, Hamill, Renzo, Cro Cop, Te Huna, Maia, Lawler, Mousasi

Doubt this retirement shit sticks. Always came to fight. Not a big fan of all the talking but I enjoyed all his fights.

Not the biggest Sonnen Fan, but I did enjoy his smack talk. Liked seeing him get his ass kicked. Wished they would have had a season of TUF with him coaching against Bisping. And I strangely believe him. I think he probably really does need those drugs to live a normal life. Sad thing is that those drugs are not steroids and exemptions could probably be made for their use. But he did not use the right protocol, so there you have it. It's a dumb reason to have to retire, but if he could not get an exemption for these drugs, then he made the right call. Starting a family and living a healthy life is more important than fighting. Good for him. You could say Sonnen lives in a "glass house" after all he did make fun of Wandy for "running away" from a drug test. But that's Chael for ya, he doesn't give a shit and will still be a sought after personality. I'd like to see him do movies, maybe some action comedies.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    Sad thing is that those drugs are not steroids and exemptions could probably be made for their use.
    wait, what?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information