Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 82

Thread: Chael Sonnen announces he's retiring

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Very far
    Posts
    9,447

    Default

    Of course!! I am now in tears missing him
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff


  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    161

    Default



    Like him or not i think he's handled this better than most other fighters would have
    Favourites- Fedor, Randy, the Nogs, Bas, Hunt, Igor Vovchanchyn, Lesnar, Chael, Jennum, Matt Brown, Taktarov, Pat Barry, Bam Bam Dewees, Hamill, Renzo, Cro Cop, Te Huna, Maia, Lawler, Mousasi

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bendeko View Post

    Like him or not i think he's handled this better than most other fighters would have
    I strongly disagree. Spinning it more than anyone else would and handling it better than anyone else would are not the same thing. Chael is not a victim in this but is trying to paint himself as a martyr which is complete horse shit.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bendeko View Post
    Like him or not i think he's handled this better than most other fighters would have
    I don't really see how. He's playing the whole I didn't know any better routine which he tried before the last time he was busted. He's already outright lied and back tracked to save face.

    Doing the same thing every other guy does that gets busted... deflects blame elsewhere, claims ignorance in knowing the rules and expectations, and brings up some medical need that it was intended for after getting caught.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Well as a fan I'm disappointed to hear that he is retiring, but its probably for the best. I honestly think Dana "helped" him come to this dicision. As long as Chael is still on fox commentating and within the good graces of the UFC there's always hope that he'll get Goldberg's job or something better.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    Well as a fan I'm disappointed to hear that he is retiring, but its probably for the best. I honestly think Dana "helped" him come to this dicision. As long as Chael is still on fox commentating and within the good graces of the UFC there's always hope that he'll get Goldberg's job or maybe Dana's.
    Sonnen can still make a ton of money for the company from fighting, so while we all know Dana is capable of helping with retirements, I don't think that's what he wanted. I know it isn't a popular sentiment, but I honestly believe Sonnen was in it primarily for the belt. I'd say this was the nail in the coffin of him ever being champion, so he moved on.
    USA! USA! USA!


  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I don't really see how. He's playing the whole I didn't know any better routine which he tried before the last time he was busted. He's already outright lied and back tracked to save face.

    Doing the same thing every other guy does that gets busted... deflects blame elsewhere, claims ignorance in knowing the rules and expectations, and brings up some medical need that it was intended for after getting caught.
    He said that the rules aren't clear cut but how is he deflecting blame? He admitted to taking the substances. He gave his explanation as to why he took them, and he said he'd do it all again. How is that 'back-tracking'?
    Favourites- Fedor, Randy, the Nogs, Bas, Hunt, Igor Vovchanchyn, Lesnar, Chael, Jennum, Matt Brown, Taktarov, Pat Barry, Bam Bam Dewees, Hamill, Renzo, Cro Cop, Te Huna, Maia, Lawler, Mousasi

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,767

    Default

    Doubt this retirement shit sticks. Always came to fight. Not a big fan of all the talking but I enjoyed all his fights.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    with my parents of course
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Not the biggest Sonnen Fan, but I did enjoy his smack talk. Liked seeing him get his ass kicked. Wished they would have had a season of TUF with him coaching against Bisping. And I strangely believe him. I think he probably really does need those drugs to live a normal life. Sad thing is that those drugs are not steroids and exemptions could probably be made for their use. But he did not use the right protocol, so there you have it. It's a dumb reason to have to retire, but if he could not get an exemption for these drugs, then he made the right call. Starting a family and living a healthy life is more important than fighting. Good for him. You could say Sonnen lives in a "glass house" after all he did make fun of Wandy for "running away" from a drug test. But that's Chael for ya, he doesn't give a shit and will still be a sought after personality. I'd like to see him do movies, maybe some action comedies.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

    "I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee


  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    Sad thing is that those drugs are not steroids and exemptions could probably be made for their use.
    wait, what?

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •