Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: UFC 174: Johnson vs. Bagautinov- Live Results and Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    ...what I just saw out of Rory tonight, I see neither Brown, Lawler, or Hendricks having an answer for his lanky ass unless they catch him with the shot that puts him out.
    I think his size spells trouble for Brown and Hendricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Anybody else a bit surprised Mighty Mouse blanked Ali on the scorecards? I figured one judge would've tossed either the fifth or MAYBE the fourth Ali's way. I had it 49-46 Johnson....
    I was more surprised nobody gave the first round in the MacDonald/Woodley fight to Tyron. I've watched it twice now, and I can't figure out how anyone reasonably thinks Rory won that round.

He clearly won the fight, once he figured out the range and started picking his angles better. But he lost the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I'd take Lawler off of that list, seeing as Lawler beat Rory two fights ago
    From what I saw last night, Lawler beats him again, pretty handily. I'd go so far as to say 7 out of 10 times.

I also think Rory would be an excitement drain as WW champion. For all the guys who hated on Georges for being "boring" [and for the record, I disagree with them] he'll be far, far worse.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

I was more surprised nobody gave the first round in the MacDonald/Woodley fight to Tyron. I've watched it twice now, and I can't figure out how anyone reasonably thinks Rory won that round.

He clearly won the fight, once he figured out the range and started picking his angles better. But he lost the first round.
    I was at the event live and I find it hard to accurately judge rounds with all the distractions but I was a little bit surprised all judges scored it 30-27 for Rory. I didn't think the first round was a definitive round for either fighter and with some of the previous score cards from the night, I was curious to see how the judges saw it. I'll have to watch it again.

From what I saw last night, Lawler beats him again, pretty handily. I'd go so far as to say 7 out of 10 times.

I also think Rory would be an excitement drain as WW champion. For all the guys who hated on Georges for being "boring" [and for the record, I disagree with them] he'll be far, far worse.

rh
    I think it really depends on how Rory has grown and adapted since their first fight. He's still young and a work in progress and we don't really know what his ceiling will look like. Lawler has a unique blend of technique, patience, power and durability that gave Rory a lot of problems. The first fight showed us that Lawler won't be mesmerized by Rory's style like Penn, Ellenberger and now Woodley. I'm very interested in an eventual rematch to see if Rory can make the adjustments necessary to avenge the loss. I like Rory's chances in a five round fight, though where I think his patient style would pay off. He was coming on stronger in the late stages of the original fight.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I'd take Lawler off of that list, seeing as Lawler beat Rory two fights ago
    I think his size spells trouble for Brown and Hendricks.

rh

I HONESTLY did not know Rory and Robbie Lawler had fought already.. Nov. 22 @ UFC 167, same time I was in rehab for Alcohol, that explains why I wasnt aware. I missed pretty much 90 days of everything and had to try and catch up on everything that went on in the MMA world.

I really wasnt trolling or being a moron, I seriously had no clue they fought already, my apologies.. Now I need to go watch that fight. I agree with you completely that he would drain the excitement from the division as a champ, I'm not a fan of MacDonald at all, but he definitely seems to be getting better every outing. Size and reach definitely a huge factor for everybody facing him. However I thought Woodley would of done better than that against him, he looked amateurish.

From what you said of the Robbie Lawler fight, Lawler must of dominated pretty nicely. Which is fine by me.. Cant believe I didnt know they fought already.
    Last edited by HillbillyDeluxe; 06-15-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

The fight was very close, could have gone either way. Slight edge to Lawler but a few things different in the fight and Rory could have taken it.

(Congrats on rehab. Hard step, but right thing to do).

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post

From what you said of the Robbie Lawler fight, Lawler must of dominated pretty nicely. Which is fine by me.. Cant believe I didnt know they fought already.

Saw this on the first page, Dana's take on the fight:

"“For anybody to think he got robbed, the first two rounds could have gone either way,” said White. “First two rounds could have gone either way, and the third round, Schaub won the third round.”
    “For Schaub to walk around to think he got robbed is hysterical. First of all, Arlovski looked slow. Arlovski looked soft. Arlovski looked like he couldn’t get off tonight. And neither one of them threw any punches in the first two rounds and Schaub still looked like he got hit with a baseball bat. For him to think he was robbed tonight is absolute comedy.”"

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Saw this on the first page, Dana's take on the fight:

"“For anybody to think he got robbed, the first two rounds could have gone either way,” said White. “First two rounds could have gone either way, and the third round, Schaub won the third round.”
    “For Schaub to walk around to think he got robbed is hysterical. First of all, Arlovski looked slow. Arlovski looked soft. Arlovski looked like he couldn’t get off tonight. And neither one of them threw any punches in the first two rounds and Schaub still looked like he got hit with a baseball bat. For him to think he was robbed tonight is absolute comedy.”"
    Just read that article on Cage Potato. Dana pretty much sum'd it up perfectly: They both performed like shit, the decision could of went either way arguably, the Fans were the ones who really lost.

I just hope Andrei isnt punished his next matchup for the bad showing, he needed to shake the rust off and even said that he had jitters bad last night.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Pretty bad event. Boring fights overall.

Arlovksi looked like Crocop in UFC. Absolutely unmotivated, slow, soft, tired.
    Schaub had a shitty performance too, but he landed the big strikes and IMO he should have won that fight.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I think it really just depends on who Rory is fighting at the time personally I really enjoyed his fight with Maia and Woodley... If Rory isn't afraid of the knockout power like he was with Lawler and Ellenberger he puts on entertaining fights as far as I'm concerned.

Lawler beats him in a 3 round fight more often then not but a 5 round fight could go either way

AA needs to grow the hair back, and get ripped again. He looked like he did against Werdum, I hope he can regain some of his lost inner pitbull.

DJ looked good, nothing fancy, obviously on another level then Ali, but he still couldn't finish which speaks more to the lower weight classes then anything. If you can't pull of finishes you need to at least be more exciting.

Rory looked really good, showed that Woodley's win over Condit was a fluke, TW is not ready for a title fight, he should be matched up with Jake. Rory isnt ready for a title fight either, but he could fight the loser of Brown/Lawler while the winner fights Hendricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Thread Information