Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champ Demetrious Johnson wants new challenges, and not necessarily John Dodson

Default Champ Demetrious Johnson wants new challenges, and not necessarily John Dodson

Champ Demetrious Johnson wants new challenges, and not necessarily John Dodson

“So there’s a lot of challenges in this weight class that I need to fight. Dodson, I overcame him; he’s a challenge. But there are plenty of guys; there’s a guy in the division who has a win over me. There’s Zach Makovsky, so I’m just looking for new challenges.”

The dominance on display as Johnson (20-2-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) defended his title prompted the immediate question of who in the flyweight division would be best prepared to unseat the champion, who dominated Bagautinov (13-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at every range en route to scoring shutout in the PPV headliner.

UFC 174 took place at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. The event’s main card, including the flyweight title fight, aired live on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and UFC Fight Pass.

Dodson’s name is fresh in the eyes of many fans.

But for Johnson, who in 2013 outpointed Dodson at UFC on FOX 6 in his first title defense, there are other names in the queue that would make equally suitable challengers.

Pointedly asked by MMAjunkie whether he was avoiding a rematch in favor of other more worthy candidates, Johnson hedged, but he made it clear his preference is to move on.

“I’m not trying to avoid that fight,” he said. “Obviously, it’s up to the UFC to make that decision. The reason why I say that is because this division is rich with great athletes and great fighters, and many of you guys know that Dodson isn’t the only person in this division.”

As Johnson earlier mentioned, there is a flyweight in the 125-pound class that boasts a win over him, albeit in the bantamweight division, where he hasn’t fought in three years.

Brad Pickett outpointed Johnson four years ago under the now-defunct WEC banner. Now, the Brit veteran is eligible to rematch the champ after a failed run at 135 pounds prompted him to move down in weight.

Then there’s Makovsky, a former Bellator bantamweight champ who’s won two straight since transitioning to the UFC as a flyweight.

“There’s tons of guys in this division, and a lot of people forget about that,” Johnson stressed. “I’m just trying to remind you guys. Ali Bagautinov, nobody ever heard of him, and he took a lot of shots from me. He won three in a row. He didn’t run his mouth to get here. He beat everybody that the UFC put in front of him, so I respect him for that.

“Tonight, I faced a new challenge, and I overcame it, and I’m ready to do it again.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Sounds like he's coming down with the Jones syndrome. Dodson is the clear cut number 2 guy in the division imo.

Nah, he'll sign on the dotted line to fight whomever the UFC tells him to; and he'll do it without the public drama.

The flyweight division is deeper than three guys. I don't think Dodson is clearly #1 contender, as his win over Moraga comes right after Johnson already beat him.

But I'm not a fan of champs picking their opponents, although it's not as pathetic as champs talking smack about their opponent after their opponent has already been picked. I'm not a fan of hack reporters asking fans who they should fight.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

It sounded, to me, like he was just stating a preference for new fights instead of rematches. No problem with that there. He also acknowledged it was the UFC's call and that he wasn't going to duck anyone. It's not like Johnson said Dodson is undeserving of anything.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Sounds like he's coming down with the Jones syndrome. Dodson is the clear cut number 2 guy in the division imo.
    I really do not see it this way at all. The guy said he would face who ever the UFC put in front of him, then went on to say (probably after he was asked) that he would like to face the guy who beat him 4 years ago. He also calls out a former champ from another Org. Sounds to me like Johnson wants to face them all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    I really do not see it this way at all. The guy said he would face who ever the UFC put in front of him, then went on to say (probably after he was asked) that he would like to face the guy who beat him 4 years ago. He also calls out a former champ from another Org. Sounds to me like Johnson wants to face them all.
    Ignore him, he'll take any chance he can get to take a pot shot at Jones. He's like the polar opposite of BonesKnows. Not a nuthugger, a nut puncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I wanna see him go back to 135. Not because he has cleaned out the division but because I'd like to see how he'd fair against Cruz, Barao and Dillashaw nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I wanna see him go back to 135. Not because he has cleaned out the division but because I'd like to see how he'd fair against Cruz, Barao and Dillashaw nowadays.
    I think he loses all of those fights in all honesty. And that isnt meant as a knock on him either.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Ignore him, he'll take any chance he can get to take a pot shot at Jones. He's like the polar opposite of BonesKnows. Not a nuthugger, a nut puncher.
    Lol i just cant wait for the rematch to go down, and 1intheass to go into hiding after Jones wins it.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I'm not a fan of hack reporters asking fans who they should fight.

rh
    A-fucking-men to this. But they keep on asking it, probably because it's so easy to get a soubdbyte out of it. But it's low hanging fruit to be sure, and it makes me wish we were better served as fans by those who would call themselves "MMA Journalists."

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Lol i just cant wait for the rematch to go down, and 1intheass to go into hiding after Jones wins it.
    I hope you're not serious, because if you are I expect you'll be disappointed. Jones could whip Gus from pillar to post before finishing him and 1inthechamber will still be on here talking about lack of talent and reach advantages.

He's no more likely to slink off in shame than you would be if Gus tools Jones, because you are two different sides of the same coin. It's like some weird Joker/Batman, Superman/Lex Luther, Thor/Loki nemesis dynamic you guys have got going on.

Thread Information