Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones: 'The UFC tried to bully me'

Default Jon Jones: 'The UFC tried to bully me'

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mm...194611974.html

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones spoke up today about the UFC's public pressure tactics to get him to sign to rematch Alexander Gustafsson. The UFC had originally hoped to have the pair fight each other this August in a rematch of their spectacular title bout last fall.
    The UFC announced the rematch before the champion had agreed to the fight or date. UFC president Dana White trashed Jones in public and helped lend a megaphone to Gustafsson's claims of cowardice from the title-holder.
    Ultimately, Jones signed to fight Gustafsson again, but at the later date of September 27. Jones today told MMA Fighting that the UFC tried to bully him into signing for the rematch on their terms.
    "I just kind of identified it with being a like strong-arm technique on their part, trying to get fans pushing for a fight and prematurely announcing a fight," he said.
    Jones claimed that, when the UFC originally announced the August 30 rematch date, they hadn't even run the date by him prior. "It's not that I haven't signed a contract, I hadn't even heard that date before," he said.
    "I thought it was unprofessional, I thought it was a bullying technique, bully style, I don't know what it was. But it is what it is."
    Jones went on to say that his relationship with the UFC is "healthy," once again. And, in a move that surely delighted the UFC, Jones also said that he will involve his manager less in communication with the promotion.
    "I think we are in a very healthy spot," Jones said.
    "We actually talked about being in contact more often and things like that. Instead of going through my managers to talk about things, we'll have a more open line of communication. I'm really happy about that. I feel like we're in a very open and honest place right now."

in before the shit storm that will be this thread....

AND GO!

I think Cepada is twisting things up a bit, here; but whatever.

I'm glad to hear jones is going to work directly with the brass in the future...a LOT of that melodrama could have been solved with one text or tweet "My brother is getting married in August."

But I honestly think with dana at the helm, a lot of the melodrama is a work anyway. He's a strong believer in the erroneous "no publicity is bad publicity" adage. We'll see if there are smoother communications in the future, I guess.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Good God somebody call the wahhhhhmbulance

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Good God somebody call the wahhhhhmbulance
    For who? The Jones haters or for Jones? Probably both.

Jones is not the first fighter that complains about the bad treatment he receives by the UFC (He is a millionaire thanks to UFC though).
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I yawned.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    in before the shit storm that will be this thread....

AND GO!
    Well that kinda fell flat.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Don't want to weigh in on the whole "Jones is awesome/Jones sucks" debate...

I just think it's sorta LAME that the frickin' UFC LHW CHAMP uses language like "bully"...

Like he's trying to cast himself as some sort of victim of HORRIBLE treatment.

YES, I imagine the UFC did negotiate pretty hard to get the fight/date they want to promote/sell...

But I just think using the term "bully" is pretty clever of BONES... given the world today and the sort of ultra sensitivity that word evokes.

Clever Mr. Jones. LAME. But very clever.,

As RH, pointed out a lot of melodrama could have easily been avoided, but I truly do believe all parties involved were either in it together, or just looking to play a good guy/bad guy role just to stir up some drama/publicity for this rematch.

It just seems very routine at this point that every one of Jones' fight needs some kinda drama involved before, during, after. A lot of it is instigated by both sides (the other being Dana and or UFC).

A lot of fans aren't into the smaller weight classes but I just found it refreshing that we just had a recent title match between 2 fighters where there was not even an ounce of drama or pre-fight smack talk involved. Guys showed mutual respect to each other and the skills they were gonna bring to the cage, and laid it all out for the fans.

Sucks we won't see stuff like that on an occasional basis.

Thread Information