Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 most unlikely UFC Champions of all time

Default Top 5 most unlikely UFC Champions of all time

Hey guys,

I was thinking of doing an article for the main page on the most unlikely champions of all time and wanted to hear your input before I write it up.

I was going to go with Dillashaw, Griffin, Serra, Carlos Newton and Steve Jenum.

If you disagree tell me who would have in and why? I'll take it into consideration when putting together my final list.

Swap Edgar for Newton.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Frankie Edgar. Tim Sylvia. Chris Weidman.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

#1 Forrest Griffin. Biggest overachiever the sport may have ever seen.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Frankie Edgar. Tim Sylvia. Chris Weidman.
    Weidman was being billed by a lot(at least more than previous challengers) as the guy to beat Silva. The way in which he won was really the comlpetely unexpected part more so than the win itself.

Edgar I agree forgot about how mad I was when that fight was made because I thought he was going to get killed haha. Sylvia I don't consider that unlikely because the HW division in the UFC was so weak at least comapred to Pride's at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    #1 Forrest Griffin. Biggest overachiever the sport may have ever seen.
    I'm pretty set on Jenum and Serra being 1 and 2. Jenum wasn't even in the tournament and he managed to win and Serra only had a title shot for what more or less was supposed to be a publicity stunt for the ultimate fighter comeback season. They will never give a title shot to a less qualified fighter than Serra ever again.

6. 07-10-2014, 08:46 PM

Brock Lesnar, Serra, Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Brock Lesnar, Serra, Griffin.
    I was thinking Brock too but couldn't put him over any of the any guys. Serra and Griffin I already got on there.

Hear me out, Mighty Mouse Johnson. He lost a title fight, decisively if I remember correctly, and then boom, new division, tournament, which he was probably the 3rd most likely to win, out of 4 guys, but somehow he became champ. I bet you wouldn't have found a person that would have taken 50-1 odds that he'd ever be champ, immediately following the Cruz fight.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

I doubt many people would remember when Randy Couture belonged on this list.

He made his debut in the UFC tournament and won. Then he took on Vitor who looked unstoppable in his third fight. Then, he beat Chuck in what was seen as an upset and went on to dismantle Tito in another perceived upset.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Hear me out, Mighty Mouse Johnson. He lost a title fight, decisively if I remember correctly, and then boom, new division, tournament, which he was probably the 3rd most likely to win, out of 4 guys, but somehow he became champ. I bet you wouldn't have found a person that would have taken 50-1 odds that he'd ever be champ, immediately following the Cruz fight.
    As soon as they made the 125lb devision, I believed Mightymouse would be champ. I never thought that Uncle creepy or Joseph Benavidez would beat him.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Thread Information