Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Report: Scott Coker expected to replace Bjorn Rebney as Bellator CEO

Bellator's tournaments sucked a lot these days, its meant nothing to win them since they moved to Spike TV. I won't mourn losing them. Just make good fights, don't let things like Newton/Mo/Vegh and Brooks/Eddie/Chandler happen again, and it's an instant upgrade. Rebney was a total loser.

Bellator conference call full audio replay with Scott Coker's first comments and more
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/6/18/58...cott-coker-mma

*Coker talking the ability to 'pay' Fedor gives me a semi.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 06-19-2014 at 01:23 AM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Eddie Alvarez rep says fighter's Bellator departure no longer a certainty
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/eddie-a...er-a-certainty
    “Before (Coker’s hiring), Eddie definitely wanted to leave,” Alvarez rep Glenn Robinson today told MMAjunkie. “I don’t think that was a secret. After this, we’d have to sit down with him first.”

Robinson, who heads Authentic Sports Management, declined to go into specifics about Alvarez’s contractual status with the promotion, though it’s previously been reported the fighter inked a two-fight deal with the Viacom-owned property following a legal dispute. One of those fights was fulfilled when Alvarez won back the lightweight title from Michael Chandler this past fall at Bellator 106.

Bellator, however, already had made its plans clear to Alvarez and co. before the management switch that removed Bjorn Rebney and Tim Danaher as CEO and president, respectively, and installed former Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker as the promotion’s new president.

“What I can tell you is they told us they wanted him to still fight (Michael) Chandler, and they told us it would be sometime in October,” Robinson said. “Eddie wanted to fight Will Brooks – they said no. Then everything went radio silent, and then the shakeup.”

Alvarez (25-3 MMA, 9-1 BMMA), who lost the title to Chandler (12-2 MMA, 9-2 BMMA) in 2011 before his win this past fall, was set for a rubber match with the ex-champ at this past month’s Bellator 120. But he suffered a concussion in training that led to Brooks (13-1 MMA, 5-1 BMMA) replacing him and then upsetting Chandler to win the promotion’s interim belt. Rebney previously indicated that Alvarez’s contract might force him to fight Chandler a third time regardless of Brooks’ win, but did not publicly commit to booking the rubber match.

Robinson said Alvarez is back to training, and while he hasn’t recently seen a doctor for a checkup, he “feels good.”

The lightweight champ earlier today tweeted a message of support to Rebney, with whom he repeatedly clashed behind doors and in public as the two grappled over his future with the promotion. This past year, the fighter completed his previous contract and received an offer from the UFC for a potential debut at UFC 159, but Bellator issued a matching bid that set off a court battle. Alvarez said he was a pawn in a power struggle between UFC parent Zuffa and Viacom and alleged that Bellator acted in bad faith during negotiations, which Rebney denied.

While Alvarez appears to have moved beyond his earlier feelings, Robinson said the champ is glad to see Coker take the reigns of Bellator.

“Eddie is happy about the shakeup,” Robinson said. “He wasn’t happy with the way things were being run. I don’t think that’s any secret, so Eddie was very happy to hear there’s been a change in management. Eddie respects Viacom very much, and he’s always told me that.”

“They had this entire system based on (the idea) that you earn your title shots,” Robinson later added. “And then they made two changes, which we call the ‘Alvarez change 1′ and the ‘Alvarez change 2.’ When they were trying to get Eddie the first time, they changed their rules to allow (title) rematches. And then when they have no reason for him to be fighting Michael Chandler now, they changed their rules to say they’re allowed to give any past tournament champion a rematch at any time.

“I don’t totally understand how that makes sense with the premise of Bellator, where titles are earned, not given. We weren’t very happy about that change.”

Now that Bellator reportedly is moving away from its tournament format and toward a traditional structure of booking individual fights, Alvarez’s options for future title challenges can expand. Prior to Rebney’s removal, he voiced a desire to fight Brooks.

Robinson’s meeting should determine whether or not that bout takes place. It could also determine whether Brooks is Alvarez’s final opponent in Bellator, or he remains as one of the best lightweights outside of the UFC.

Wherever the fighter’s path leads, Robinson is expecting smoother sailing from here on out.

“Everything we requested (from the former management team) down to the littlest thing was always a debate,” he said. “So we think this is the best for Bellator, and as far as whether he would stay with Bellator long-term or not, until we sit down with Scott, it’s really hard to say.”

4. 06-19-2014, 01:11 AM

Let's not have any illusions that Fedor will come back.
    The reason he retired was not money or Bjorn or whatever.

He simply lost his hunger and decided to retire because it was "God's will".
    They can offer him 10 millions for fighting again and he will not accept that. He wants to be in Russia, he wants to be with his family and watch his daughters grow.
    Also, he has some important position as president of Russian Sambo federation or something like that.

He is never coming back!
    In the best of cases, maybe one day he will show up just to have some exhibition match. Those matches are just for fun.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Surprised but to me, it makes sense. Bellator was founded on the gimmick of tournaments and seasons. Don't get me wrong, it worked really well as they made some great stars with Mike Chandler and Pat Curran standing out the most, and of course, names like Patricio Pitbull Friere, Daniel Straus, Douglas Lima, Eduardo Dantas, and Will Brooks becoming very familiar faces, and fighters like Eddie Alvarez and Joe Warren who were known already were honed even further. However, the last couple of years, the tournament structure became a barrier to growing the organization further and it was not producing the same level of stars that it once was. Further, the tournament structure lost its novelty when it was being played week after week on SpikeTV. Very few hardcore fans could even tell you who was in the main event of Bellator 121 two weeks ago. Finally, the tournament structure was a tremendous barrier in matchmaking, which results in absurd amendments so that they could make the matches they want to make.

For those who are saying that getting rid of the tournament structure is a big mistake as that's what was different about Bellator is just picking on something unnecessarily. I would argue that extremely few people watch Bellator nowadays to see which star emerges from the tournament. I would even argue that no one even cares anymore about the actual tournaments. Sure it is what Bellator glamorized but now the organization has cemented itself as #2, and it doesn't need it to continue growing further.

Rebney's reputation has been running to the ground since the whole Alvarez ordeal, especially with the fighters. Coker, who has had great relationships with the fighters, may be the new fresh face they need and help build the trust of the fighters again. I obviously have my doubts on how far they will go given that no company seems to last except for the UFC. I also personally think WSoF won't last for too long (just a hunch) and Bellator will absorb most of their fighters, which will help build the star power even further.

One of the things I've been hearing about Coker is that he wants to promote more "stylish" and "exciting" match ups, so I'm expecting a lot of brawls. Betcha Paul Daley has a job by the end of the month.

I heard a funny rumour that Viacom contacted Chael last week as some sort of on-air figurehead role, but his ZUFFA/FOX role was too cherry.

Dana White reacts to Bellator shake up, calls Scott Coker 'better fit' for Spike TV than 'Bjork' Rebney
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/6/20/58...ork-rebney-mma
    White makes sure to get one last shot in as "Bjork" cleans out his desk.

"Not only do I know Scott (Coker) very well, I know the guys at Spike very well. I was in business with them for a long time and I think this is a much better fit for them than Bjork was."

Bellator MMA cuts 19 fighters including Lima, Prindle, and Leone
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/6/25/58...-prindle-leone
    Eric Prindle
    Anthony Leone
    Rodrigo Lima
    Frank Baca
    Nick Kirk
    Travis Marx
    Hiroshi Nakamura
    Sergej Grecicho
    Jared Downing
    Jason Fischer
    Tim Welch
    Nathan Coy
    Anthony Lemon
    Trey Houston
    Vaughn Anderson
    Keith Berry
    Jeremy Kimball
    Carlos Eduardo
    Eric Smith

I'd have held onto Leoone, Marx, Downing and Kimball.

"Business as usual."
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Thread Information