Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Dodson: Demetrious Johnson is ducking me and running scared

Default John Dodson: Demetrious Johnson is ducking me and running scared

John Dodson: Demetrious Johnson is ducking me and running scared
    http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/j...-scared-061814
    Needless to say Dodson was listening and he was none to happy when hearing Johnson's comments.

"I heard the press conference, I heard him trying to duck and bob and weave and jive out of a fight with me. Then he wants to tell everybody he wants to fight everybody but me, telling everybody 'John Dodson's a clown' yet he sounded like a scared little pussycat trying to run away from me. Is he afraid of the big bad wolf?" Dodson told FOX Sports.

"He doesn't think I'm worthy as an opponent? He said he wanted to see him fight (Jussier) Formiga, who I leveled. They want to see him go blow for blow with Zach Makovsky, who won two fights in the UFC so far. I think I've been on a tear here with a 5-1 streak, and the only person that beat me was Demetrious. If he doesn't want to fight me, put anybody else in front of me and I'll go toe-to-toe and I'll put them to sleep just like I should have done with him."

Dodson is convinced that Johnson knows he escaped their last fight with a win and wants no part of a rematch because there's little chance he can come out unscathed again. Dodson managed to drop Johnson during their fight and nearly finished him early on, but the champion persevered and battled back to get the win.

Dodson guarantees Johnson won't be as lucky if they fight again and that's why the champion is running scared from a rematch.

"Of course (he's ducking me). He knows I will put him to sleep this time," Dodson said. "I'm in better shape, better conditioning, my strength is only getting better. He's shown he has knockout power now putting out Joseph Benavidez, one of the hardest hitting guys in the division, congratulations. Why don't you try to put me to sleep? I'm going to be just as fast as you, just as technical, but the only thing that's different -- I have more strength."

Earlier in the week before Johnson defeated Bagautinov in the main event from Vancouver, UFC president Dana White already said that with a win he would definitely enjoy seeing the rematch with Dodson happen and that fight made the most sense for the division.

Johnson didn't have quite the same reaction when asked about a second go round with Dodson, and the New Mexico native was happy to read between the lines with what he was really saying to the media last Saturday night.

"The only thing I kept hearing was 'I don't want to fight John because he's going to knock me out'. That's all I kept on hearing -- 'John Dodson is going to knock me out. I'm going to go toe-to-toe with him and he's going to level me and I'm going to look like a scared little girl and I'm going to lose the title'," Dodson said. "He says he's the 'king of the division', well a king doesn't turn and run away from a battle. I thought the king was willing to take on any challengers and defend their kingdom, defend their territory? If he doesn't want to defend his territory, strip him, and I'll defend it."

The good part about this entire situation is whether Johnson or Dodson want the fight, ultimately the decision comes down to matchmakers Joe Silva and Sean Shelby and of course White as well. As a matter of fact, according to Dodson, White already said he should have been crowned champion the first time they fought but the judges got it wrong.

"Dana thought I won the first time we fought. After me and Demetrious Johnson fought the first time, he was like 'John, I don't know what you're worried about, you won the fight, don't put your head down, you were a monster, you're a beast, you're going to be our new champion' and even to this day I hear that replaying that I am the new champion. Not Demetrious Johnson, he only won two rounds, I won three. Dana White thought I won that fight," Dodson revealed.

"I shouldn't be the No. 1 contender right now, I should be the champion."

As agitated as Dodson is right now, he's not going to sit around and wait for Johnson to make up his mind about what's next. His hope is that the UFC puts the fight together sooner rather than later, but if Johnson isn't willing to defend the belt against him, Dodson will gladly beat every other contender standing in line to prove he's the best flyweight in the world even without the belt.

"It looks like I'm going to have to put my fist through somebody else's face because Demetrious is trying to run away from me again," Dodson said. "If they want him to fight somebody else that's cool. If they want me to fight somebody else, that's even better. Let me step up there and put whoever they put in front of me to sleep to show my worthiness. If Demetrious doesn’t think I'm worthy, fine, but the world seems to have my back and wants me to fight him."

It's safe to say Dodson's prediction for the rematch with Johnson ends in a much different way than the first one. The judges can take the night off, but the medical personnel cage side might want to stay close because they could be on call in a hurry.

"Next time we meet I'll put him to sleep. Then we can do the rubber match and I'll do it again. I'll have two knockouts over the champ. I'm going to watch me hit him, I'm going to watch him fall and I'm going to watch me kill him. I'm not going to stop punching him until the ref pulls me off or somebody throws in the towel. I'm going to make sure he walks away a bloody mess and I will walk away the new champion with a nice shiny belt around my waist," Dodson said emphatically. "That's how that fight's going to end."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

He sure did have a lot to say.

I like his fighting style. I can't wait to see the rematch.

haha, Dana said he thinks I won that fight and he is going to kill DJ.

I just rewatched their fight this week, on a Mighty Mouse binge.

If you were a Dodson fan, guess you could argue that Dodson won the second round, although it wasn't a clear and convincing round, by any means. I scored it 10/10. I had Mouse winning every other round convincingly. But anyone who thinks Dodson somehow actually won that fight doesn't understand MMA scoring at all. The decision wasn't controversial, the fight wasn't even close. Dodson goes back in the mix, just like anyone else.

He just beat a guy Johnson beat less than a year ago. It's a nice win, but it doesn't make him #1 contender, or jump over other guys in the division. I'm far more excited to see Johnson face Makovsky than I am to see him outpoint up Dodson again.

But nobody loves Dodson like Dodson loves Dodson. He's from the PBF School of Narcissism. I think he did his graduate work under Bisping.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I don't see how saying "I want new challenges not necessarily John Dodson" is being scared and ducking. He is giving his honest opinion that he would like to face new opponents but never did he say he won't fight Dodson.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I don't see how saying "I want new challenges not necessarily John Dodson" is being scared and ducking. He is giving his honest opinion that he would like to face new opponents but never did he say he won't fight Dodson.
    He actually goes further than that and states
    I’m not trying to avoid that fight. Obviously, it’s up to the UFC to make that decision. The reason why I say that is because this division is rich with great athletes and great fighters, and many of you guys know that Dodson isn’t the only person in this division.
    One of the problems is with the lighter weight classes, fighters aren't as well known. Dodson gets his name out there because he never stops promoting himself, but it's not necessarily connected to reality. I'm excited to see Makovsky, but the Pickett fight would sell itself with another win or two at 125. Dodson isn't far from a rematch, but he's certainly not ahead of anyone else being mentioned.

But anyone who can misconstrue the Johnson/Dodson fight as even being close--never mind somehow actually having Dodson winning it--is going to misconstrue anything Johnson says into "oh, he's ducking him."

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Have you noticed that every Flyweight in the UFC is ranked in the top 10? Goes to show you the depth of that division.

DJ has already beaten 5 of those top 10, facing 2 of those 5 twice!!

I understand the sexiness in a Dodson rematch, but what is the point of a ranking system and filling it up with 10 guys when the company wants the same guys getting title shots?

PS... Barao is indeed getting his rematch. According to Dana White (smh), "HOW DOES IT NOT MAKE SENSE TO GIVE HIM THE IMMEDIATE REMATCH?"

Dodson is, easily, the guy who can take the belt away from Mighty Mouse. I just cannot stand his cockiness - he really is on his own level when it comes to that. Because of that, I hope DJ can retain the belt, and do it in a convincing way - such as knocking Dodson the fuck out in dramatic fashion. I won't hold my breath for that, but one can dream, right?

It's too bad that they're so low on legit 125 contenders at the moment because I'd really be curious to see if Dodson could actually get past Benny, because IMO he's the de facto #1 contender and beats everyone else in the division not named Mighty Mouse, but he's going to have to win a lot more to earn a third fight with DJ and it'll be a hard sell given how the second fight ended....

I don't like Dodson's face. I hope Mighty Mouse changes it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

10. Default

I would like to see some new signings for the division to bring some depth.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information