Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh Barnett calls for fight against Junior dos Santos

1. Default

I don't know MMAforever beating AO can mean alot if you totally dominate him. AO has his way with most opponetts until he has to think to keep his hands up and or not gas out. Plus this is the UFC you don't have to be the next in line if the fight draws big PPV's

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Looking at the big picture, after the Cain-Werdum fight, which I have Cain winning...who is the next guy being positioned for a title shot?

My problem with Barnett fighting JDS is that he may lose that fight. It brings him back further down, but doesn't really push JDS closer to a title shot. Josh's climb up to title contention gets derailed again.

He can fight AO, but he would still need another solid win after that against someone ranked higher than AO (JDS, Browne, Bigfoot, Hunt) to get a title shot. Being that Dana isn't the biggest Josh Barnett fan, I think he may make Josh fight 2 of those top 5 guys after AO to get that title shot.

JDS shouldn't be fighting guys that could be contenders and knocking them off. He isn't getting that title shot for a while. His best move would be to fight lower ranked guys to keep busy and working on new technique, while waiting (and praying) Cain loses his title.

But as you said, I don't mind either if Josh had to fight AA, AO, followed by Bigfoot to receive that title shot.
    I actually could see Dana feeding Arlovski to him just because he was pissed about his performance...
    Does absolutely nothing for either guy rankings wise..but they both could use another W especially with AA making his return and Barnett wanting to push for a title run..

Barnett vs AA/AO just watch

I dont really like the Overeem matchup, hell I dont really like either of those guys against Josh because somebody has to lose and drop further down.. I'd like for all 3 to get back to winning and in dominating fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    I don't know MMAforever beating AO can mean alot if you totally dominate him. AO has his way with most opponents until he has to think to keep his hands up and or not gas out. P
    This^. Overeem's latest 2 losses should of never happened.. He got cocky/careless put his hands down and got dropped. Bigfoot Silva and the Browne fight both go differently in a rematch. Matter of fact, I wish they'd pair em up so AO can avenge those anyhow
    Last edited by HillbillyDeluxe; 06-19-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    Overeem's latest 2 losses should of never happened.. He got cocky/careless put his hands down and got dropped.
    He gassed. He's got a suspect chin.

Bigfoot Silva and the Browne fight both go differently in a rematch. Matter of fact, I wish they'd pair em up so AO can avenge those anyhow
    I think both fighters beat him 6 or 7 times out of 10, particularly if he's not juicing.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I'm more interested in a Browne rematch with Gonzaga and Barnett. I think both guys would be able to beat him and probably would have if it wasn't for those questionable elbows.

Anybody know if Big Nog has retired? Or is he looking for one more fight?

I think he may want that loss to Barnett back if he could.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    He gassed. He's got a suspect chin.

I think both fighters beat him 6 or 7 times out of 10, particularly if he's not juicing.

rh
    I love it when you piss on my parade Now we need those fights to happen 10 times just to know.. we shall agree to disagree my friend. However, I will agree with Browne. I feel Travis is a bit above Bigfoot all around anyhow, but I think they would be good rematches, just with Alistair on the better end.

I dont think AO has had his head in the game or maybe he had a bad camp, just looked off..

I still have faith in Overeem's career, even tho it's on the final lap, now that he isnt Overroid'd.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

I dont see any reason for JDS to accept. I agree with the others that said Arlovski or Overeem. Both are big name fights that fit Barnetts level at the moment
    Believe in Chimichanga's

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Josh's career is nearing the end this is nothing more than keeping his name revelent and posibly getting a hi dollar fight with someone else
    I never get when people say this. His pay is the same regardless of who he fights, assuming he doesn't get a ppv cut. Are you referring to sponsorship money? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by The_Icon View Post
    I dont see any reason for JDS to accept. I agree with the others that said Arlovski or Overeem. Both are big name fights that fit Barnetts level at the moment
    Gotta change that sig dude your going to give me a seizure lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy Larry View Post
    I never get when people say this. His pay is the same regardless of who he fights, assuming he doesn't get a ppv cut. Are you referring to sponsorship money? Just curious
    The bigger the name you are fighting the better you are placed on a card... A fight against a mid tier heavyweight gets you a lower on the card slot for PPV or headling a fight night card. A big name heavyweight gets you co main or main event on ppv or possibly a fox slot. Sponsorship money is dictated by your venue your fight is being seen and how important you are to that card.

Though I can;t say 100% for sure but the back room bonus money I'm sure scales based on the fight order/importance to the card as well.

Josh Barnett clarifies Junior dos Santos call out, talks UFC return and Dean Lister match at Metamoris 4
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/6/23/58...-metamoris-mma
    ccording to Josh Barnett, the story about him wanting to fight Junior dos Santos that was circulating last week (read it here) came entirely from his manager Leland Lebarre, and not from him.

It's not that he wouldn't be down to fight the former UFC heavyweight champion, but if the man known simply as "The Warmaster" is going to call somebody out, he says he's going to do it in person.

"I want to fight everybody, but honestly, it was my manager who said it. He made the quote, but he didn't quote me when he said it," Barnett told MMAmania.com at the GLORY event over the weekend. "So, I mean sure, whatever, all good by me. I don't call people out. That's why for one, you have to understand grammar and syntax. That's his comment, not mine. If I call someone out, I just show up at their doorstep and fight them right then and there."

Barnett, 36, last fought at UFC 168, losing by technical knockout to Travis Browne. He said he's "not sure yet" when he will return to the Octagon due to launching a new podcast called "Josh Barnett Conquers the World" and some "movie projects in the works," that he couldn't reveal the titles to or what roles he might have, only that he "has plans."

However, he did talk about his upcoming match up at Metamoris 4 against Dean Lister that is slated for August 9th.

"It was just a really great opportunity and a chance to put catch wrestling on a big stage in terms of the grappling world," said Barnett, who last competed in grappling back in 2010 at the Gracie U.S. Nationals. "Dean Lister is an awesome guy and an incredible competitor, be it MMA, or grappling. It was pretty hard to say no."

Metamoris has been predominantly Brazlian jiu-jitsu competitors. There hasn't yet been any grapplers with a Judo or Sambo background or a catch wrestler like Barnett.

"I don't know necessarily like me, I like to think I'm pretty unique," said Barnett in his familiar wittiness. "I think someone with my style and my wrestling background will make for something they are not used to seeing. Whether they like it or don't, I guess it won't matter as long as I win, but I feel pretty confident that they will be impressed."

For right now, as far as MMA is concerned, Barnett said he's "still in the gym" helping others get ready for upcoming fights.

"I'm still training. Jack May has got a fight coming up in the UFC, so I"m in there with him sparring on a daily basis and then Shayna Baszler is prepping for a fight. So is Jessamyn Duke, she's been coming down to train with us at CSW as well."

After being there ringside to witness GLORY 17 and "Last Man Standing" (results here), you can call Barnett a fan.

"It was awesome," raved Barnett. "It has a distinct feel. The fighters were fantastic and they did an excellent job. This could've been MMA, this could've been MMA instead of kickboxing and yet in this presentation it takes on a whole different vibe. It's not that it can't be replicated, but for whatever reason, in America, we've chosen to do it a different way. Personally I prefer it like this."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information