Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White: Velasquez is next GSP-level star

Default White: Velasquez is next GSP-level star

White: Velasquez is next GSP-level star
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...SP-level-star/
    Dana White is hopefully that heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez can be that star:

"Cain Velasquez, too, we're literally riding him down to Mexico," White said on Friday. "I wouldn't even go to Mexico without Cain Velasquez. Cain Velasquez is a huge star, too. When you have an entire country that's going to follow and support you, there's nothing bigger than that."

The support of an entire country seems to be the difference between being a star and being a superstar in the UFC. St-Pierre had it with Canada and over time he built his stardom into a brand, and was the biggest draw on pay-per-view in the UFC.

Velasquez could follow suit with the UFC's push into Mexico, and soon the company could have another megastar cash cow raking in huge numbers at the box office.

"You can argue it's Jon Jones, it's Ronda (Rousey), they don't have Canada riding on their backs. They don't have Mexico riding on their backs. When you can get a whole country behind you, that's when you know what a big star you are," White said.

"Cain is, he's the guy everyone cares about down there. Biggest press conference in Telavisa history when we went down there."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Surprised White hasn't crowned him his newest p4p king yet.

It really sucks that Cain has gotten injured as much as he has, as I think he does have the potential to be the biggest star in the UFC. He is your Fedor type of talent; he comes in there, doesn't say much, whoops your ass and goes back to his normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    It really sucks that Cain has gotten injured as much as he has, as I think he does have the potential to be the biggest star in the UFC. He is your Fedor type of talent; he comes in there, doesn't say much, whoops your ass and goes back to his normal life.
    Yeah he really does invoke the same feeling. Unassuming until he's unleashed on you then you're stuck with the "what the hell just happened" feeling after being mauled. I wish he could stay healthy because he's basically what you want as a heavyweight minus being a "talker"

Cain's inability to appeal to fans and stupid brown pride tattoo will prevent him from being a superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Cain's inability to appeal to fans and stupid brown pride tattoo will prevent him from being a superstar.
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    Why do you guys feel Cain is unable to appeal to fans?

I am a big fan but I dont speak for everyone.

I also dont get the hate for the Brown Pride tattoo but we have all been through this before. Cain is expressing his pride in his culture, heritage & his families hard work and accomplishments. Bad choice of words or way of expressing it, possibly but it is not a racist statement or stance, in my opinion.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I think being injury prone and fighting infrequently hurts him a lot more.

Three fights in a year with continuous media coverage and a likeable personality makes a big difference while putting on exciting fights in one of the more popular weight classes has all the makings for a superstar... assuming you win all three fights of course

9. 06-21-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Dana White is hopefully that heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez can be that star:

"Cain Velasquez, too, we're literally dick-riding him down to Mexico," White said on Friday
    *Fixed

JUGGS GOT YAAAAAAAAA

If you haven't watched I'm the Juggernaut bitch, go now to the youtube. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Cain's awesome, but I don't foresee his body holding up for a longterm run.

Thread Information