+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Longo: Weidman will crush weak chinned Machida

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    all MMA math aside, Weidman is a much better submission grappler than Davis.

I'm not saying Weidman is a lock, by any means. But the comparison to Davis doesn't work.

yeah, because beating Silva twice is sooooooo easy, it's, totally like everybody was doing it and he just hopped on the bandwagon. What a hipster that Weidman is. Weidman, not Wideman.

Munoz was top 5 and would have gotten a title shot when Chris pwned him.

Demain was top 10, hard ranking. Chris beat him on two weeks notice. And in jon jones terms, that's really like two days, because those last 12 days don't count.

...for that matter, who has Machida beaten at MW? The same Munoz you just pissed on, but with less momentum behind him, and a ring rusted Mousasi.

See what I did there? That kind of bullshit works both ways.

Seriously? He fought twice in 2013 because he literally had to wait for Anderson to stop ducking him. Then in 2014, he was scheduled to fight Belfort--and was willing to do it with bad knes--but when that fight shat the bed he elected to have surgery on a new injury.

If you're going to hate on the guy, just hate on him. But don't try to justify it with bullshit.

just...no.

Either outcome sounds pretty great to me.

...aside from the fact that sonnen can't fight without juice, there is nothing about the last bout that didn't seem like the very definition of relative ease.

rh
    Dude, I'm just saying I'm not sold on him yet, no reason to start a big thing and shit all over my post. IMO I'm not sold on him, and IYO you are. I'm not hating on him, just sayin he hasn't been that active, and that maybe Silva is old and past his prime (we'll see when he gets back). All I said is I don't buy into the hype he gets just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by scallas View Post
    Really? I just watched it again to confirm what I remembered, and yep, Chael takes him down within the first 5 seconds, keeps him down the entire round, lands numerous punches, elbows, and knees, and then achieves full mount with about a minute left. All Anderson had for him that first round was holding on for dear life.

Round 2, Chael lands knees to Anderson's face and goes for the takedown, but Anderson blatantly holds onto the trunks opposite the ref's side (cheating). Anderson then does a really good job of avoiding a second takedown attempt, Chael attempts a stupid spinning backfist, trips to the mat, and Anderson lands a crushing knee that rises to the face (technically illegal). Did Anderson win? Yes. Did he do it with ease? Heck no, he was the fast path to another beatdown like the first fight.

Watch for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDsHMO2GTw
    I've watched the fight, repeatedly.

Yes, sonnen won the first round. I didn't see anything close to a beatdown.
    I also didn't see anything close to an illegal knee to the face.

If sonnen and silva fought 10 times, I can't see sonnen winning more than one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    Dude, I'm just saying I'm not sold on him yet, no reason to start a big thing and shit all over my post. IMO I'm not sold on him, and IYO you are. I'm not hating on him, just sayin he hasn't been that active, and that maybe Silva is old and past his prime (we'll see when he gets back). All I said is I don't buy into the hype he gets just yet.
    You're welcome to your opinion, but the reasons you gave to support it are stupid.

Even if Anderson comes back and sucks, that's not an indication that he "was too old and past his prime" when he faced Weidman. You'll be looking at more than a year of ring rust and a return from a very traumatic injury when he gets back.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

I think in a theoretical best of 10, Silva wins 4 in devastating fashion within the 1st or 2nd. I think in the other 6 Sonnen wins multiple rounds, but would probably still lose 3 or 4 of those. My very scientific conclusion is that Sonnen wins 24-28% of their fights.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Quote Originally Posted by calpat1985 View Post
    Betting on Machida! Phil Davis is a beast of a wrestler and could not keep machida down. No way CW is going to do it. And Machida is so much more crafty on the feet than Chris. Machida outpoints Chris every round !
    There is not a single element of the sport except for size where Weidman isn't considerably better at than Davis though. Saying that Weidman won't be able to take Machida down because Davis, who is not nearly as effective in MMA takedowns and lost to Weidman in college, didn't is very puzzling to me.

So Weidman beat Davis in wrestling in college? Didn't know that...

I'm sold on Weidman being extremely good at all dimensions of the sport. However, I think his weakness is his speed, where I see him being a slower MW than most. IMO, Machida's footwork makes him a tougher stylistic matchup; worse than Munoz, Vitor, Jacare, or even Silva.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

I'm not saying Silva threw the knee to the face, it wasn't intentional, he threw it to the sternum, but it did rise to the face. If that IS legal, then disregard my illegal comment, but I thought the knee can't hit the face.

Going by the first fight and the way things were going in the second fight prior to the spinning backfist, Chael wins 7 of 10.

8. 06-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    So Weidman beat Davis in wrestling in college? Didn't know that...
    Then I am assuming you are one of those who watches fights on mute because I'm pretty sure Goldberg has said it in every single Weidman fight that he beat Davis and Bader in college haha.

Quote Originally Posted by scallas View Post
    I'm not saying Silva threw the knee to the face, it wasn't intentional, he threw it to the sternum, but it did rise to the face. If that IS legal, then disregard my illegal comment, but I thought the knee can't hit the face.

Going by the first fight and the way things were going in the second fight prior to the spinning backfist, Chael wins 7 of 10.
    I feel like his thigh hit sonnens face not his knee. not sure what the exact ruling of the rule is though.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Then I am assuming you are one of those who watches fights on mute because I'm pretty sure Goldberg has said it in every single Weidman fight that he beat Davis and Bader in college haha.

I feel like his thigh hit sonnens face not his knee. not sure what the exact ruling of the rule is though.
    I didn't know that and I don't watch on mute tho I do tune them out because I'm engrossed in the action lol I like to hear the movment and shots landing etc .... so I avoid the mute button like some of ya do.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I'm sold on Weidman being extremely good at all dimensions of the sport. However, I think his weakness is his speed, where I see him being a slower MW than most. IMO, Machida's footwork makes him a tougher stylistic matchup; worse than Munoz, Vitor, Jacare, or even Silva.
    Weidman does not have raw speed that is true. What he does possess is very good footwork and feints himself, and he throws combinations intelligently. And of course he is also a very strong submission grappler/ground 'n' pounder.

These strengths more so than speed I think will play a factor if Weidman beats Machida - after all, it's not like Shogun, Rampage or Davis were lightning quick when they beat him so it's not a prerequisite (although prime Shogun is definitely faster than Weidman).

I think Weidman has the skill necessary to back Machida against the fence and throw combos (where he looked ordinary against Rampage and even Mousasi at times) or enter into a clinch for takedowns without exposing himself unduly to counter fire. I think he's savvy enough to draw Machida's left body kick and time it for a takedown. I don't think he'll charge onto a counter left hand like Bader did, because he's far too defensively sound for that. I don't think we'll see him charge across the Octagon to punt Machida's lead leg when he backs up a la Shogun either, but you never know.

Weidman has the tools based on his body of work so far, no doubt about it. Putting it together when it counts is another matter. Machida is incredibly skilled and no easy out for anyone south of heavyweight. That's why I'm so amped for this one

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information