+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened To The UFC?

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    2 paragraphs in and I already made up my mind that That Was One Of The Dumbest Articles I've Ever Read.
    What was dumb about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

There is now more MMA on TV than ever yet I am watching less than ever. I used to watch pretty much every PPV with at least one friend of mine, all of whom I would describe as casual fans, and we would stay up until 6am watching the PPVs live here in the UK. It was an easy sell because they would know fighters in at least 3 of the 5 main card bouts and the other 2 fights would often be FOTN level quality.

We would also watch the Strikeforce, Affliction and WEC cards as they were often stacked and offered great action as well as an alternative to UFC.

I cannot remember the last time I watched a UFC PPV with friends as now there are often cards where they haven't heard of anyone on the card due to a lot of the older stars retiring or fading away and the UFC being unable to create new ones as well as the oversaturation of events. The last time I even bothered to stay up to watch a PPV was Weidman Silva 2 and that was 6 months ago, most events these days I read about the day after or DVR and fast forward through most of to get to the one or two fights I have an interest in.

The weaker cards used to be a rarity but would often deliver some of the best action of the year, now they are no longer the exception but the rule and the quality of the action has dropped off a lot. As good as it is to have so many weight classes and both genders represented, I think the UFC was a lot more interesting and marketable when they only had 5 champions as each one felt special and gained more spotlight than they do now, making them all appear to be legitimate stars.

WWE oversaturated their PPV business to the point that buys dropped off so much they have decided to euthanise that whole business model and give all their events away for a significantly lower monthly price. UFC's PPV numbers have been steadily declining and it is hard to see where the next fight to do a million buys is going to come from. Whilst they are making more money in the short term, having so many events and so many fighters is limiting their ability to create new stars and if they don't fix this issue it will hurt them significantly in the long term as their network TV deal has yet to do anything to suggest it can be a long term replacement for their PPV business. The UFC have no real competition yet they are creating their own problems and obstacles with their quantity over quality approach.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    2 paragraphs in and I already made up my mind that That Was One Of The Dumbest Articles I've Ever Read.
    I'd expect nothing less--or more--from you.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    What was dumb about it?
    Do you really care about his opinion?

He was done with the article in two paragraphs...I was done with him as a poster two posts into his time here...

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

Do you really care about his opinion?

He was done with the article in two paragraphs...I was done with him as a poster two posts into his time here...

rh
    Meh, not really. But I'm bored at work on a Friday, could use a good time killer until I can leave early.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Bravo! This is a great article I am no longer enjoying MMA as much as I used to as a result of all the bullshit. It's a damn shame really. Making sure I watch every ppvand majority of events in general was a priority of mine. Now I do not really care at all, asides from a few cards, if I see them at all. Watching fights has become something I do if I'm bored or have free time.
    I feel the exact same.. sadly. I do however watch on weekends as much as I can even if its just to check out a couple bouts.

I'll be watching the Stephens fight, BUT thats the only one most likely.

I think the problem is not necessarily oversaturation, at least not oversaturation by itself.

It's the fact that you combine it with overhyping EVERYTHING, all this PED nonsense, choosing unworthy challengers, ridiculous weight cuts, catering to idiotic fans with melodrama, a broken scoring system with incompetent judges, a president who outgrew his usefulness 5 years ago and who is now actively a detriment, etc...

[Continued now that my boss has left]

There used to be a point where it felt like the sky was the limit for MMA, that any of those problems were just obstacles to overcome en route to it becoming the sport it had the potential to be. Now it feels like it's a race to the bottom, that things are just going to get worse and worse as the sport devolves into 'sports entertainment'.

...and THIS is where oversaturation comes in. At one point when things started to get bad, I would want to boycott based on principle, but then I just couldn't help myself because the cards and fights were so appealing that my chance to get MMA once a or twice a month just drew me in.

To ignore all that is wrong and getting worse for the cards they put out now just isn't happening for me.
    Last edited by SWIFTboy; 06-27-2014 at 02:13 PM.

It's safe to say the glory days are far behind us. I kind of feel bad about whatever I was complaining about a few years ago about the UFC because it was so much better than it is now and I miss it

I think the real glory years are 10 years out.

I think if dana wasn't at the helm, much of the org's trouble sorts itself out. So maybe 10 years out, without dana, there is a big Renaissance, you get new leadership that's more interested in showing the vast difference between MMA and WWE [instead of bringing them closer together] and starts to capitalize on a pool of talent who have always grown up with MMA as a sport, instead of scooping former college wrestlers without career opportunities. I think the future has incredibly bright potential.

But we're in the dark ages, without a doubt.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

I agree. I do not enjoy MMA as much as I used to enjoy it.

There are just too many cards, too many unknown fighters, and it is becoming pretty boring. UFC can try and tell us that some unknown fighter is the next great thing, and then you watch him fight and you see absolutely nothing special.

UFC 175: fuck, who the hell is Rusell Doane to be in the main card??
    Why Urijah Faber is in the undercard but Marcus Brimage and Doane are in the main card??

Urijah Hall vs Thiago Santos...another fight that should be in the undercard.

Mitrione vs Struve...this one is interesting because Struve returns. But let's be honest, none of them are especially entertaining or Top 15 fighters.

Rousey vs Davis...another fight in a division where one fighter is just far beyond all the competition.
    I understand that it is not Rousey's fault that her competition is so weak though.

Machida vs Weidman....this is a very interesting fight and a very good main event.

There are plenty of UFC fight nights, like 5 between every PPV.
    As a result, in every card there is just 1 or 2 interesting fights and the rest is crap.

Personally I think that MMA's future is very gray if this continue this way.

There is nothing interesting to watch. Bellator just signs UFC rejects.
    ONE FC may be popular for Indonesians or Malaysians.
    WSOF does not have enough talent.

At this point, the only really interesting promotion to watch is GLORY, and it is not even MMA.
    But at least they still have great talent in kickboxing.

And Dana White said that in 2020 MMA will be as popular as soccer....
    I will be very surprised if in 2020 I still watch MMA.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

For me it's been a while since I stopped caring about the product the UFC is putting out... although I'm not sure why that really is... I couldn't miss a single event... wanted to watch everything, from the prelims to the main event... but now... my heart is just not so much into it.
    Now I'll try to catch the replays if I read the fight was good...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information