Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened To The UFC?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think the real glory years are 10 years out.

I think if dana wasn't at the helm, much of the org's trouble sorts itself out. So maybe 10 years out, without dana, there is a big Renaissance, you get new leadership that's more interested in showing the vast difference between MMA and WWE [instead of bringing them closer together] and starts to capitalize on a pool of talent who have always grown up with MMA as a sport, instead of scooping former college wrestlers without career opportunities. I think the future has incredibly bright potential.

But we're in the dark ages, without a doubt.

rh
    Yeah, I'm saying they are faaaar behind us. Five or so years ago people complained but I'd give anything for MMA to be they way it was back then.

On top of whats already been mentioned, with the latest fighters becoming more complete mixed martial artists as opposed to boxers, brawlers, BJJ, Muy Tai, etc as their primary expertise, this has hindered unique fight styles that make fighters more recognizable. With that, the more well rounded fight styles leaves lots of "stalemate" fights were fighters' offense is countered well with fighters' defense - but, I think the fighters fighting to not lose rather than fighting to win is a bigger factor. I have lots of friends that liked the pre-Zuffa UFC more than any era. That was a little too sloppy for my taste, but just about every fighter was unique back then.

Yup I feel the marked it over saturated also. 4-5 years ago I would never miss any free events or TUF episodes and missed very few PPVS. Now I couldn't even tell you the coaches or any of the fighters of the last few TUF seasons. Honestly I don't even know how many seasons have aired since I stopped watching. I've missed tons of free cards and PPVS. Free cards mostly because I can't even keep track of when they're on and PPVS because there is only 1-2 high caliber fights on each card that often don't happen or when they do don't live up to the hype.

While its awesome that more and more fighters can make a living doing what they love it changes the game completely. There's much more competition and way more on the line causing guys to just go for the win on points or pull out of a fight if they have an injury (not necessarily a bad thing). Honestly i can't fault them though it is there life/career but it makes me much less interested in watching.

Un-fortunatly the UFC will stay on this path as long and it continues to be profitable. I'm baffled at how it could be though. My "casual fan" friends have absolutely zero interest in MMA now. I'm guessing the UFC is generating the revenues from new markets that previously had a shortage of MMA.

Be careful what you wish for huh?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Yeah, I'm saying they are faaaar behind us. Five or so years ago people complained but I'd give anything for MMA to be they way it was back then.
    QFT

And the fact that they created the 125 division did not helped at all.
    No one cared about that division when it was created, and despite that many people said that it was just a matter of time before people loves it, well it is a huge minority that has interest in that division.

That division will never be attractive. No one wants to see 2 tiny guys that weigh 55 kilos jump around for 15 or 25 minutes.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    It's safe to say the glory days are far behind us. I kind of feel bad about whatever I was complaining about a few years ago about the UFC because it was so much better than it is now and I miss it
    My wife asks me after every event .... how were the fights? I didn't hear you hooting and hollering!!! (I'd wake her up all the time lol) just don't get as excited anymore

I'm a bit torn on the subject matter. I agree wholeheartedly that the UFC has taken a step back in 2014 and that oversaturation is watering down the product. Injuries, retirements/hiatuses and a combination of a lack of star power and intriguing match ups is also taking it's toll. Some bizarre matchmaking isn't helping things either; Can anybody tell me what is the point of Penn/Edgar III?

But we're not far enough removed from 2013, which was a PHENOMENAL year for fights, fans and the UFC's business for me to declare we've entered the dark ages. I'm pumped for Weidman/Machida, Gus/Jones and hopefully we get at least one of Cain/Werdum or Pettis/Melendez before year end.

Wow!
    July is really gonna suck for a lot of you.
    How dare the UFC have all of these fights happen:
    Weidman/Machida,
    Rousey/Davis,
    Struve/Mitrione,
    Edgar/Penn,
    Cerrone/Miller,
    Barboza/Dunham,
    McGregor/Brandao,
    Pickett/McCall,
    Lawler/Brown,
    A. Johnson/Lil' Nog,
    Guida/Bermudez,
    Thomson/Johnson

Here's what most will say: "That'd be a sweet night of fights, but all those fights are broken up among 5 events."

So I guess that means the other 470 or so UFC fighters shouldn't ever have fights? Or they should all be thrown onto 1 event with no names to draw viewers?
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Wow!
    July is really gonna suck for a lot of you.
    How dare the UFC have all of these fights happen:
    Weidman/Machida,
    Rousey/Davis,
    Struve/Mitrione,
    Edgar/Penn,
    Cerrone/Miller,
    Barboza/Dunham,
    McGregor/Brandao,
    Pickett/McCall,
    Lawler/Brown,
    A. Johnson/Lil' Nog,
    Guida/Bermudez,
    Thomson/Johnson

Here's what most will say: "That'd be a sweet night of fights, but all those fights are broken up among 5 events."

So I guess that means the other 470 or so UFC fighters shouldn't ever have fights? Or they should all be thrown onto 1 event with no names to draw viewers?

I will say that even though that's the best fights, in the best month of the year for fights, about a third of them aren't all that great, in my opinion.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I will say that even though that's the best fights, in the best month of the year for fights, about a third of them aren't all that great, in my opinion.
    Agree.

Thread Information