Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened To The UFC?

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Wow!
    July is really gonna suck for a lot of you.
    How dare the UFC have all of these fights happen:
    Weidman/Machida,
    Rousey/Davis,
    Struve/Mitrione,
    Edgar/Penn,
    Cerrone/Miller,
    Barboza/Dunham,
    McGregor/Brandao,
    Pickett/McCall,
    Lawler/Brown,
    A. Johnson/Lil' Nog,
    Guida/Bermudez,
    Thomson/Johnson

Here's what most will say: "That'd be a sweet night of fights, but all those fights are broken up among 5 events."

So I guess that means the other 470 or so UFC fighters shouldn't ever have fights? Or they should all be thrown onto 1 event with no names to draw viewers?
    Yeah but these fights are split up amongst five events as opposed to like 2 or maybe 3 tops back in the day.

Here's what most will say: "That'd be a sweet night of fights, but all those fights are broken up among 5 events."

So I guess that means the other 470 or so UFC fighters shouldn't ever have fights? Or they should all be thrown onto 1 event with no names to draw viewers?
    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Yeah but these fights are split up amongst five events as opposed to like 2 or maybe 3 tops back in the day.
    I see what ya did there.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Wow!
    Weidman/Machida,
    Rousey/Davis,
    Struve/Mitrione,
    Edgar/Penn,
    Cerrone/Miller,
    Barboza/Dunham,
    McGregor/Brandao,
    Pickett/McCall,
    Lawler/Brown,
    A. Johnson/Lil' Nog,
    Guida/Bermudez,
    Thomson/Johnson
    Exactly one of those fights is headline worthy of a PPV [and it's not Rousey/Davis]. There are maybe two that you could get away with calling co-main PPV events, if the rest of the card was strong, and if there were strong PPV's the month before and after it. After that, I have one fight that could be a co-main event of a UFN, and at least two fights that I doubt will actually happen.

So no, it's not "Wow, great fights spread over 5 events." That's two cards worth of good-to-average PPV fights, and at best one weak UFN.

Ah...so on the one hand, zuffa cuts great fighters because their roster is too bloated...but at the same time, that bloated roster should get ME status on a PPV. Great logic, that.

What zuffa really needs is a minor league. Since Bellator abandoned it, they should run a straight-tournament style minor league, with guys who have less than 5 professional fights in the US. It would be far better than that shit reality show, and that should be the free cards or the international cards. If they're going to saturate the market, they should distinguish between the elite level and the guys who aren't making 10/10k and streamline a feeder process for the cards that they really want to showcase.

I'm all for free MMA. I'm all in favor if lots of MMA cards, and variety. I'm not in favor of overhype and oversaturation, and an org that can pretend that Kevin Gastelum is as good as Fitch or Sheilds, and for the record, I'm a fan of Gastelum, even though I felt he lost to Story last time out.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Wow!
    Weidman/Machida,
    Rousey/Davis,

Ever think maybe the UFC doesn't need to have 470 fighters on it's roster? The best professional sports don't have guys from the minors or developmental leagues getting air time on their broadcasts. The UFC holds itself out there as the best in MMA yet we have guys that are not even top ten headlining cards.

As others have said that 2-3 cards at best of talent there. The undercard has room for 10 fighters give or take and if you can't make the cut to be on that undercard you probably should still be at the regional fight level.

The UFC's expansion plans have not factored in that the level of talent growth just can't keep up. What they are doing now is pretty much the same as if MLB/NBA etc decided to to bring in a bunch of new franchises and fill the rosters with guys from the minors and developmental leagues.

Ever think maybe the UFC doesn't need to have 470 fighters on it's roster?
    Exactly. No point in having so many fighters.

How can you be excited when you see that there will be fighting some Dan Lorenzo vs Brian Gomez. You have no idea who they are, so you look for them at wikipedia or some other page (Thinking "well maybe they have a solid record with many KO wins in other small orgs") and you see a mediocre record, or they do not even have a wikipedia page and there is too little information about them in other sites.
    How the fuck are you supposed to get excited by that??

Another thing is that there are very few really intriguing fights.
    When was the last time that UFC announced a fight and absolutely everybody was like "WOW!!! This will be such an awesome fight! I can't wait for this to happen". When?

During the PRIDE days we had many of those kind of fights. Fedor vs Mirko was extremely anticipated.
    There were legit feuds like BTT vs Chute Boxe, Gomi vs Chute Boxe, Wanderlei vs Rampage, and many more.
    Now the feuds are fake, they are all acted. Everybody knows that so it is impossible to get hyped only because someone is talking shit to another fighter. You know that after the fight they will hug each other and say how much they respect each other.

We had Affliction that unfortunately only had 2 cards but both of them were great. A third one was in the making and also looked very good.

Strikeforce had some really great match ups.

WEC too!

Then Zuffa bought them, and instead of having the most awesome promotion with the greatest cards ever, we have a mediocre product that offers only 1 or 2 interesting fights per event.
    And sometimes not even that. For example the event in New Zealand, the main event was Marquardt vs TeHuna. I mean is this fucking serious????
    Today there is another event and the main event is Jeremy Stephens vs Cub Swanson!! I mean this is not a bad fight itself, but it is not good to be a main event.

The quality of the product is mediocre, the prices are very expensive, the Legends and superstars of the sports are getting old and they are retiring or getting past prime, the new superstars are not as entertaining as the "old" ones.
    Fucking TUF is a garbage that no one watches anymore.

Stupid clown Dana White should have left the UFC several years ago, he does absolutely nothing to improve the sport. What he has done for the past 5 years? He got the deal with Fox (not that it has helped MMA a lot), and what else?? Absolutely nothing.
    What superfights he has made since BJ Penn-GSP 2?
    How many times he has promised that he would make MMA legal in NYC?
    He is just a parasite! As long as he is UFC president, there will be no progress at all.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I think the UFC needs to make a more obvious separation between their PPV events, Fox ones, and Fight Pass ones.

If PPV's were less regular and stacked to the gills, and Fox sports featured number one contenders fights and semi-big name fights, and Fight Pass was reserved for big-names coming off losses, and up-and-comers only, then they would be a clearer hierarchy for fighters to rise through.

That way, the PPV events get greater value (and are diluted), and there'll be a clear message that the more you pay for an event, the great quality you get.

At the moment they're al fudged in together, and the 'big event' feeling has gone, for me at least.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Personally I think while there is some truth to everything being said in this thread there is also a lot of bitching just because we'll that's what forums are for.

I disagree with this being "the dark ages". Maybe the " dark ages of mainstream".

If you think back to some of the early cards or hell to even the first post TUF 1 cards there generally wasn't but 1 or 2 fights with a name fighter against a name fighter. No it was usually guys only the really hard core or dedicated knee of. Also back then we as fans who actually visit these sites would get excited about a card such as this mornings under a lesser promotion. But because its the UFC its not good enough

The way I look at it is as the UFC has killed off lesser promotions they are putting on the cards themselves. As they are expanding over the world they are keeping there money makers for cards in the west but still giving fans a way to enjoy all the cards.

The other point that I started earlier is the post TUF boom. There were a lot of reletive unknowns on the undercard and in the first few fights on the PPV. However as we the fans got to know them they became "stacked" cards. Seriously go back and look at some of the names in the late 40s through the 50s and then try to remember how not stacked some of those cards seemed back then.

Again I mostly agree with everything being said here I just think its exaggerated not only in what people are posting but also in how we all feel. It's different for us who have grown with the sport.

I also do not think Dana is holding the UFC back. I do not see him as the problem. I just do not believe he has as much power as we give him credit for. Plus if he is holding MMA back it's not his fault. It is the people allowing him to stay in that position. I have always felt Dana at best runs the day to day but that big decessions come from Lorenzo. I could be wrong but that's the impression that I get

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post

If you think back to some of the early cards or hell to even the first post TUF 1 cards there generally wasn't but 1 or 2 fights with a name fighter against a name fighter. No it was usually guys only the really hard core or dedicated knee of. Also back then we as fans who actually visit these sites would get excited about a card such as this mornings under a lesser promotion. But because its the UFC its not good enough
    I think with this paragraph you pretty much summed up exactly what people are saying. In the early days there were only 1 or 2 name fighters on a card. As the sport grew we were getting cards with significantly more notable fighters. However now we've regressed to 1 or 2 fights with name fighters simply due to over expansion/dilution of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    I think with this paragraph you pretty much summed up exactly what people are saying. In the early days there were only 1 or 2 name fighters on a card. As the sport grew we were getting cards with significantly more notable fighters. However now we've regressed to 1 or 2 fights with name fighters simply due to over expansion/dilution of the product.
    My point though isn't that they stopped putting less named fighters. It's that the mid card fighters have changed

At the start with only 1 or 2 names we grew to know the mid card fighters. It's been over 10 years for a lot of the fighters. The names have changed and the name quality has gone down but can the same really be said for the fight quality taking a major dive?

I don't think people have really argued that. They have complained about name value. I agree the quality has seemed to suffer...but is it that bad or just our perception?

meh im at a point where if i catch the card i catch it if i dont i dont. I usually watch every ppv but the fight nights (barring any huge main event) i dont really care for. I come here - or mma discussion on fb - and find out what fighters were worth watching and watch them.

I actually watched the fight night this past weekend which is the first ive watched in sometime and it wasnt the greatest thing i watched thats for sure. Brutal ref stoppage, a quick sub, a WW who missed weight and then a main event that had way less fireworks than i expected.

My question is this; are the fight nights really all that bad compared to say bellator, wsof, etc? I mean i dont watch bellator anymore and havent in some time, but watching the fight night card reminded me of old bellator cards where you dont care for any of the fighters and you find yourself just watching for the sake of watching.

Thread Information