Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened To The UFC?

Actually some Bellator cards have been way better than many recent UFC cards.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I'm not as emotionally invested in fighters as I used to be. Not that I don't want to be though. The business has just changed.

I miss the days of having to stand while watching, getting goosebumps and chills during the walk outs, and yelling during the fight and all the anxiety between rounds. I want that back.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    I'm not as emotionally invested in fighters as I used to be. Not that I don't want to be though. The business has just changed.
    I've struggled with that as well.

dana makes it a point to reveal a LOT of dirty laundry about anyone and everyone: this guy refused this fight, and that guy is whining about money, and blahblahblah...

When you couple that with twitter [and zuffa actually not just encouraging fighters to tweet, but rewarding them for it] and the stupid stuff that so many of them post, it's hard to find someone who is admirable as a person; and that sense bleeds into their performances for me.

I made it a policy not to read BJ Penn interviews from the period where he was fighting Georges the second time. It made it harder for me to watch him and not want him to lose. I'm glad I don't follow anyone or anything on twitter, at all.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I'm glad I don't follow anyone or anything on twitter, at all.

rh
    But do people follow YOU on twitter? Thats the real question. lol

I don't think RH even knows what website twitter is on.

And I mean that as a compliment.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    dana makes it a point to reveal a LOT of dirty laundry about anyone and everyone: this guy refused this fight, and that guy is whining about money, and blahblahblah...
    This is a graphic illustration of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/6/29/58...swer-phone-mma

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I don't think RH even knows what website twitter is on.

And I mean that as a compliment.
    You would be correct, and I appreciate it.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

The Fox deal happened. And Dana White. As excited as I was about the Fox deal When it was announced the cards started suffering immediately. We can only hope they decide not to renew it when its done or even better try to cut their losses and back out. These cards cant be making great ratings, even for free.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

It's a number of things for me. I liked when fighters were like characters and there was room to wonder about them as fighters and as human beings, like I think riv is saying. The great mysterious side of things back then. I miss hype that was real before big fights, not this repetitive bullshit they spew now like so and so is the best mother fucking p4p fighter ON THE PLANET until next months episode, plus they hate each other. I don't know the word for it but I miss the feeling similar to nostalgia while watching the fights or talking about it leading up to them. The constant events kind of ruined that, but for the sake of the sport to expand I guess. I miss big name fighters really laying it on the line and fighting for the spirit of combat rather than protecting their brand. I wish the commentating was more intellectual and insightful more often. I miss how it was before it was so fast paced when you could really, really appreciate the performances and runs guys went on that left you in utter admiration and awe.
    It was a beautiful product at one point when it was slower. Funny because I thought I would love to watch fights all the time, which I do, but there are just so many fighters now that nobody knows and it's hard to keep up with and find that emotional attachment to unknowns. I hope the product really grows into the mold it is taking on and we enter another great generation of MMA. Riv made a comment about being in another dark age, and though I don't agree with that to that extent, I understand and feel like we have been on the heels of a new program so to say. A lighter zone. I hope things evolve and everything becomes even better than it was before in the greatest days.

It's a confusing subject. All I know is, as a fan of competition, I want back whatever it was that made me feel so deeply towards the fights and fighters before, during, and after the fights. I want that raging feeling back.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    It's a confusing subject. All I know is, as a fan of competition, I want back whatever it was that made me feel so deeply towards the fights and fighters before, during, and after the fights. I want that raging feeling back.
    I honestly think it was just the times. It wasn't mainstream yet. There wasn't much coverage. You had to just have a love and passion. We all grew with the sport. Now as the new wave of fighters come in and our hero's fall off it leaves us with an emptiness that no amount of MMA can fill.

That and while I am all for 1 big promotion in the states I think the loss of of Japanese based promotion has hurt the sport for those of us who visit these types of boards.

Oh, and one more thing. And this is a big deal to me.

There are barely any MAN'S MEN anymore. Everything could go to hell but we at least need some man's men to appreciate.

Not one champ is a man's man. Hendricks could be in the making but he's too nice outside of the cage.

We need some older guys to take the reigns back and kick some ass.

Thread Information