Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened To The UFC?

What exactly is "man's men"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Guys that displays certain qualities that every man can appreciate and admire. Like if Dan Bilzerian was an MMA fighter. A guy who can be both dirty and classy, mean but can smile for the cameras, tough as nails, intelligent, prideful, and walks to the beat of his own drum with a chip on his shoulder. A lady killer. And not a kid at all. You know what I mean.

I don't know why but the first person who sprung to mind was Don Frye.

Bas Rutten fits that profile as well..
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Bas was definitely the second person I thought of.

Dan fucking Henderson.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Yeah, I miss those kind of guys. I wasn't even watching MMA pre-2000, but I wish there was still guys like Frye, Bas, Igor, Mirko, Hughes, Tanner, Chuck, Lytle, and so forth. Tank, haha. Not saying I admire every quality of guys that I mentioned but just the sheer manly bruteness of them and badassery they displayed in and out of the cage.

Brian Stann carried a lot of manly qualities but was pure class and respect. No edge, but he didn't have to be like that. Wish he had been a better fighter in his time.

I love Weidman and Hendricks but I wish they were meaner and outspoken.

Oh well. It's one of those things that you either are or you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    Brian Stann carried a lot of manly qualities but was pure class and respect. No edge, but he didn't have to be like that. Wish he had been a better fighter in his time.
    I thought Stann was a bit of a knob in the WEC. Certainly after he lost his title. And I despised the way he was marketed in both orgs.

I love Weidman and Hendricks but I wish they were meaner and outspoken.
    I like that Weidman isn't that outspoken. I think he generally comes off pretty bright in interviews.
    One thing I don't want is for Hendricks to be any more outspoken. I feel like he has come off as a total whiner, but that's probably from GSP ducking him to face Diaz. He certainly could have handled the title fight decision better, he looked pretty foolish after the Lawler fight.

I'd love for fighters to just shut down stupid MMA journalists when they ask stupid MMA journalist questions.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I thought Stann was a bit of a knob in the WEC. Certainly after he lost his title. And I despised the way he was marketed in both orgs.
    I honestly didn't pay too much attention to Stann back in 07-08, and I only vaguely recall his fights from back then with Cantwell at this point. His MMA career wasn't a very glorious one but it had a few shining moments and the guy is just a great speaker. He always looked like an animal when getting the finish, and his fight with Wandy was brutal. If only he had won that fight before he retired. He doesn't really fit into the category of guys I listed but he was worth mentioning due to his classy and respectful but ripyourheadoff demeanor.

I like that Weidman isn't that outspoken. I think he generally comes off pretty bright in interviews.
    One thing I don't want is for Hendricks to be any more outspoken. I feel like he has come off as a total whiner, but that's probably from GSP ducking him to face Diaz. He certainly could have handled the title fight decision better, he looked pretty foolish after the Lawler fight.

I'd love for fighters to just shut down stupid MMA journalists when they ask stupid MMA journalist questions.

rh
    I do agree with you and I appreciate the kind of guy Weidman is. He has great potential to become a new face and possibly ambassador of the sport. I hope he goes the distance. I was just toying with the subject.

Hendricks on the other hand I felt wasn't in the wrong with voicing his displeasure with Diaz getting the shot before him. I wouldn't have blamed any fighter in any division had they accomplished anything similar to what Johny did before he got the shot. It wasn't what anyone wanted to hear but I think the fact that he talked about it so much is not only that they would always ask him about it, but you know how the UFC has now shown fighters that selling the fight through your mouth and social media is just as important as winning fights these days. I do wish he would have spoken about it in a better way though. He played it wrong.

Edit: btw, I was again alluding to the subject when I used the term 'outspoken' referring to Chris and Johny. What I meant was how it'd be great to have some big figures in the sport who were really good on the mic and could bring some original personality to the table for people.
    Last edited by m1ckeykn0x; 07-01-2014 at 08:26 PM.

I wish the UFC would just have a weekly fight show where the lower level fighters can compete and build their records, like a Wednesday night fights type of thing instead of having all these same fighters, who dont draw big, on a card they are trying to promote as a big super whammy event "fight night 743 Tehuna vs Marquart". I suppose in the end it would be the same card just not the over the top marketing of a sub par product. I am glad these younger fighters, fading fighters, and unknown fighters have a place to compete in the "Big Show" just tired of it being sold as a cant miss event. It would probably help sell the bigger fights and possibly raise PPV buys.
    Bow down before me as you will surely fall if you challenge me

Thread Information