Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened To The UFC?

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    Hendricks on the other hand I felt wasn't in the wrong with voicing his displeasure with Diaz getting the shot before him.
    ...for me it was how he voiced his concerns. I mean, Weidman didn't stoop to that level after he was announced as the #1 contender and Anderson--not even soares, but Anderson himself--flat out stated he had no intention of facing him, and then proceeded with the whole "I need a break" fake nonsense.

Hendricks was some degree of justification, but he sucked at voicing it and came off as a whiner. Then he fought a close fight with Georges and whined as though it was the robbery of the century. It wasn't. THEN he fought a close [closer, in my opinion] fight against Lawler and whined about that.

I'm just sick of hearing him talk at this point. He clearly likes the mic, but I think he's pretty horrible at it.

Quote Originally Posted by hurt80 View Post
    I wish the UFC would just have a weekly fight show where the lower level fighters can compete and build their records, like a Wednesday night fights type of thing instead of having all these same fighters, who dont draw big, on a card they are trying to promote as a big super whammy event "fight night 743 Tehuna vs Marquart". I suppose in the end it would be the same card just not the over the top marketing of a sub par product. I am glad these younger fighters, fading fighters, and unknown fighters have a place to compete in the "Big Show" just tired of it being sold as a cant miss event. It would probably help sell the bigger fights and possibly raise PPV buys.
    Yes to all of this.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I thought Stann was a bit of a knob in the WEC. Certainly after he lost his title. And I despised the way he was marketed in both orgs.

I like that Weidman isn't that outspoken. I think he generally comes off pretty bright in interviews.
    One thing I don't want is for Hendricks to be any more outspoken. I feel like he has come off as a total whiner, but that's probably from GSP ducking him to face Diaz. He certainly could have handled the title fight decision better, he looked pretty foolish after the Lawler fight.

I'd love for fighters to just shut down stupid MMA journalists when they ask stupid MMA journalist questions.

rh
    My issue with Wiedman is only a couple of short interviews I have read / heard. It sounded like he was trying to come off as the greatest ever because he beat Silva. For me, the first fight was way more definitive than the second fight and even though it was a great accomplishment he still hasn't truly left his mark as a champion. I would prefer to hear less talk about beating Silva and him just go out there and beat people, after a defense or 2 then he can talk all the shit he wants.

Now, I realize hear that I have only seen and heard a couple interviews in passing, so it could very well be bad MMA journalism or just bad timing on my part. If I am wrong people feel free to point it out because I want to like Wiedman.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    My issue with Wiedman is only a couple of short interviews I have read / heard. It sounded like he was trying to come off as the greatest ever because he beat Silva. For me, the first fight was way more definitive than the second fight and even though it was a great accomplishment he still hasn't truly left his mark as a champion. I would prefer to hear less talk about beating Silva and him just go out there and beat people, after a defense or 2 then he can talk all the shit he wants.

Now, I realize hear that I have only seen and heard a couple interviews in passing, so it could very well be bad MMA journalism or just bad timing on my part. If I am wrong people feel free to point it out because I want to like Wiedman.
    Its bad journalism. He is very humble and focused.

Minus the times where you can hear the Serra/longo come out of him.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    "Punch a hole right through his fucking chest primetime ya new name" I enjoy Longo's bizarre post round pep talks.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    Yeah, I miss those kind of guys. I wasn't even watching MMA pre-2000
    I didnt even know what MMA was in 2000 and prior... I definitely went back and brushed up on my MMA history tho

Quote Originally Posted by hurt80 View Post
    I wish the UFC would just have a weekly fight show where the lower level fighters can compete and build their records, like a Wednesday night fights type of thing instead of having all these same fighters, who dont draw big, on a card they are trying to promote as a big super whammy event "fight night 743 Tehuna vs Marquart". I suppose in the end it would be the same card just not the over the top marketing of a sub par product. I am glad these younger fighters, fading fighters, and unknown fighters have a place to compete in the "Big Show" just tired of it being sold as a cant miss event. It would probably help sell the bigger fights and possibly raise PPV buys.
    damn good idea!
    Last edited by HillbillyDeluxe; 07-02-2014 at 02:35 AM.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    An annoying Long Islander? Say it isn't so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

So i just read through 7 pages of thoughts on the UFC and "what happened".
    I am not sure how many of you run/own a business of any type but this is a clear example of a company in "growth" mode. This has happened with the NHL, and with MLS and even in WWE. The difference from the traditional sports and the "entertainment sports" (WWE UFC) is that they can set their own schedule to justify keeping talent on payroll. With the NHL you just have teams with watered down 3rd and 4th line players that are marginal players getting 3-5 minutes a game.
    The UFC has a lot of fighters under contract who dont get paid unless they fight. only way to grow the young unknown talent in this situation is create more televised events/PPV or create a 2nd tier org as a feeder to the UFC its just that simple.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

...a second tier org like the ones they've folded? WEC, PRIDE FC, StrikeForce?

That would be preferrable, in my mind.

I'd ditch TUF entirely and have a weekly show that focuses on up and coming second tier talent, 10 minutes of interviews and 30 minutes of fighting. If there was a need for some type of continuity tied with competitiveness, I'd have the show focus on regional talent, streamline a regional tourney, and then have the top performers in that compete nationally.

I would not give any airtime to upper-deckers and dudes jerking off into food.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...a second tier org like the ones they've folded? WEC, PRIDE FC, StrikeForce?

That would be preferrable, in my mind.

I'd ditch TUF entirely and have a weekly show that focuses on up and coming second tier talent, 10 minutes of interviews and 30 minutes of fighting. If there was a need for some type of continuity tied with competitiveness, I'd have the show focus on regional talent, streamline a regional tourney, and then have the top performers in that compete nationally.

I would not give any airtime to upper-deckers and dudes jerking off into food.

rh
    I wouldn't call WEC second tier when it folded as it only had three weight classes and all three were the best in the world at that weight. UFC's lightweights were second tier at that time similar to how their heavyweights were clearly inferior to strikeforce. Obviously feather and bantamweight were the best as the UFC didn't even have those weight classes yet.

Thread Information