Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened To The UFC?

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Minus the times where you can hear the Serra/longo come out of him.
    An annoying Long Islander? Say it isn't so...
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

So i just read through 7 pages of thoughts on the UFC and "what happened".
    I am not sure how many of you run/own a business of any type but this is a clear example of a company in "growth" mode. This has happened with the NHL, and with MLS and even in WWE. The difference from the traditional sports and the "entertainment sports" (WWE UFC) is that they can set their own schedule to justify keeping talent on payroll. With the NHL you just have teams with watered down 3rd and 4th line players that are marginal players getting 3-5 minutes a game.
    The UFC has a lot of fighters under contract who dont get paid unless they fight. only way to grow the young unknown talent in this situation is create more televised events/PPV or create a 2nd tier org as a feeder to the UFC its just that simple.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

...a second tier org like the ones they've folded? WEC, PRIDE FC, StrikeForce?

That would be preferrable, in my mind.

I'd ditch TUF entirely and have a weekly show that focuses on up and coming second tier talent, 10 minutes of interviews and 30 minutes of fighting. If there was a need for some type of continuity tied with competitiveness, I'd have the show focus on regional talent, streamline a regional tourney, and then have the top performers in that compete nationally.

I would not give any airtime to upper-deckers and dudes jerking off into food.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...a second tier org like the ones they've folded? WEC, PRIDE FC, StrikeForce?

That would be preferrable, in my mind.

I'd ditch TUF entirely and have a weekly show that focuses on up and coming second tier talent, 10 minutes of interviews and 30 minutes of fighting. If there was a need for some type of continuity tied with competitiveness, I'd have the show focus on regional talent, streamline a regional tourney, and then have the top performers in that compete nationally.

I would not give any airtime to upper-deckers and dudes jerking off into food.

rh
    I wouldn't call WEC second tier when it folded as it only had three weight classes and all three were the best in the world at that weight. UFC's lightweights were second tier at that time similar to how their heavyweights were clearly inferior to strikeforce. Obviously feather and bantamweight were the best as the UFC didn't even have those weight classes yet.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I wouldn't call WEC second tier when it folded as it only had three weight classes and all three were the best in the world at that weight. UFC's lightweights were second tier at that time similar to how their heavyweights were clearly inferior to strikeforce. Obviously feather and bantamweight were the best as the UFC didn't even have those weight classes yet.
    they had WW and LHW divisions when zuffa bought them, and HW and SHW divisions before that...but yes, the lighter weight classes they had were among the best in the world, although the guys in DREAM could have been argued as being as good or better in some cases.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I really don't know why the UFC doesn't have some type of farm system. You wouldn't need to advertise them nearly as much as the main fight cards and it gives you an in house, somewhat controllable, way to grow your own fighters.
    You have to know what you don't know.

I've said two things for a long time:

Competition breeds excellence and MMA fans would actually benefit from a viable competitor.

I would have created a "rising stars" or developmental league type of programming that was available on regular television similar to Tuesday Night Fights from back in the Day. I paralleled it with Boxing After Dark.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

It would also be a great way to realize what kind of personality issues they'd have, and what management concerns would arise.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

It would also allow them to "send fighters down" but still keep them available for fill-ins. If anything, I think that would be the biggest positive to them from a business standpoint.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

With fight pass, you can still have a national audience available with the smaller regional shows.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Thread Information