Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Whatever Happened To The UFC?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I wouldn't call WEC second tier when it folded as it only had three weight classes and all three were the best in the world at that weight. UFC's lightweights were second tier at that time similar to how their heavyweights were clearly inferior to strikeforce. Obviously feather and bantamweight were the best as the UFC didn't even have those weight classes yet.
    they had WW and LHW divisions when zuffa bought them, and HW and SHW divisions before that...but yes, the lighter weight classes they had were among the best in the world, although the guys in DREAM could have been argued as being as good or better in some cases.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I really don't know why the UFC doesn't have some type of farm system. You wouldn't need to advertise them nearly as much as the main fight cards and it gives you an in house, somewhat controllable, way to grow your own fighters.
    You have to know what you don't know.

I've said two things for a long time:

Competition breeds excellence and MMA fans would actually benefit from a viable competitor.

I would have created a "rising stars" or developmental league type of programming that was available on regular television similar to Tuesday Night Fights from back in the Day. I paralleled it with Boxing After Dark.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

It would also be a great way to realize what kind of personality issues they'd have, and what management concerns would arise.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

It would also allow them to "send fighters down" but still keep them available for fill-ins. If anything, I think that would be the biggest positive to them from a business standpoint.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

With fight pass, you can still have a national audience available with the smaller regional shows.
    You have to know what you don't know.

I honestly don't understand why they run so many damn shows in summer. This is the third summer in a row they've done this. The forgettable UFN don't bother me so much but 3 pay per views and a Fox show in the 2 months where the majority of people are away from their TV is just a recipe for failure. There just isn't enough high end talent available to support these shows. I get having the big show in Vegas around the 4th of July but after that I think they should reduce summer to a big Fox show mid summer and then come back in September with a stacked Pay Per View to set up the rest of the year.

Today is the 5th anniversary of UFC 100, the biggest and best selling UFC PPV of all time. I remember being so pumped for that show, I was living in student accommodation with awful internet so couldn't watch or stream it. I searched online for 24 hour Internet cafe's and put out various appeals on social media and different forums practically begging people to let me into their homes at 3am to watch it live lol.

As that proved fruitless I got up early the next day and spent a few hours in the world's worst Internet Cafe downloading the show so I could watch it in my room. As I remember this two things spring to mind;

1) I cannot imagine ever going through the same effort to try and watch a UFC PPV now.

2) UFC 100 is still by far the biggest show them have ever done. I expected it to be the start of a huge growth in popularity with a yearly big show becoming a tradition like Wrestlemania which would consistently draw around 1m buys. Looking back UFC 100 feels like the peak of the organization and all the decisions made since then make me feel like they will not get close to those heights again unless something drastically changes with their current model.

Thread Information