Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Stephens on Fight With Cub Swanson: I Know I Can Beat This Guy

Default Jeremy Stephens on Fight With Cub Swanson: I Know I Can Beat This Guy

Since making the transition from the lightweight division down to the 145-pound weight class, Jeremy Stephens has been flawless. Hes put together a three-fight winning streak and is one win away from a title shot.

After suffering three losses in a row as a lightweight, the change of weight classes has reinvigorated the 28-year-old fighters career.

I feel like Im really putting things together. Everything is working for me. Im comfortable wherever the fight unfolds. I mean I can wrestle. I can ground and pound. I can rip your arm off. I can do it all at this point, and Im just getting better and better each day, Stephens told The Great MMA Debate Podcast. To be honest, I feel like Ive rejuvenated myself.

Stephens has always felt that he could compete with the top fighters in the world and that it was just a matter of putting it all together on fight night.

I feel like Ive always been able to be at this level and be the world champion. I just had to put it together mentally and just get things right upstairs, and then just putting my whole game together, he said. Even in that downtime where I had three loses in a row, I was putting together things in the gym. I just wasnt showing in my fighting.

With a title fight hanging in the balance, Stephens doesnt feel any added pressure heading into the UFC Fight Night 44 main event bout against Cub Swanson.

Ive fought some of the best guys, and the move down to 145 pounds has really got me rejuvenated. And Im prepared for everything. I feel like I really have it all together right now. I dont put any added pressure (on this fight). Its still the same fight to me, said Stephens. Every fight is kind of like the same. To me its just a schoolyard fight, whether it be Cub Swanson, Jose Aldo or Chad Mendes. Its still like a schoolyard fight to me. The only difference is the cameras and the media.

Swanson is a versatile striker with a sneaky ground game, but Stephens believes that everything Swanson does, he does just a little bit better.

I think me and Cub Swanson could be a title fight, just the way we perform. Were two great athletes. Were two stand-up guys that go for broke, and we have it all together. I just feel that everything hes good at, Im better at. Im really putting my game together. Its just my time now, he said. Im excited. Im really pumped up for this fight. I couldnt ask for a better match-up, a better opponent. Im ready. I think this is going to be a great fight for the fans.

Stephens was complimentary of Swanson as an opponent, but feels there are holes in Swansons game that hes going to exploit.

Cub is a great opponent. Hes a guy I watched back in the WEC days. Hes exciting. Hes unpredictable. He goes for broke. He fights to excite the fans. He does a lot of good things good. Hes got great boxing skills. Hes got great footwork. I believe hes a black belt in jiu-jitsu. He does a lot of stuff. Hes a great athlete. I still feel there are a lot of holes in his game. There are areas that he slacks at. There are a lot of good things to say about him. I know I can beat this guy, said Stephens.

I have a set game plan to beat Cub Swanson. This is going to be a great fight, and I couldnt ask for a better opponent. Its going to be an exciting one. Im pumped. Its never an easy task, but Im going to get the job done. Im going to go in there and earn it, he added.

Swanson is ranked No. 4 in the UFCs bantamweight division, while Stephens sits just outside of the top ten in eleventh. Beating the fourth ranked 145-pound fighter in the organization will put Stephens in contender status.

Ive been a man on a mission at 145 pounds. Theres still work to be done, and guys to take out. Me fighting Cub Swanson puts me right there, right where I want to be, he said.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/jer...9281--mma.html

I really, really despise Jeremy Stephens. I hope Cub takes this.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I really, really despise Jeremy Stephens. I hope Cub takes this.

rh
    Me too. That assault charge against Jeremy Stephens really did it for me. Even the way Dana supported Jeremy Stephens was despicable as he minimized the crime by saying that it was only an assault charge, when in reality the victim stopped breathing twice as a result of this assault.

Anyways, I like Cub and hope he wins and gets his title shot that he rightfully deserves. Although Mendes is a worse matchup for Aldo and has better chances to win, I personally think Swanson was more deserving. Beating Siver, Poirier, Oliveira, Pearson and Roop is more impressive in my eyes than beating Lentz, Guida, Elkins, Meza and McKenzie.

I think he's a douchebag as a person and definitely comes off that way, but I do enjoy watching his fights.
    With that said, I like Cub Swanson as well and he seems to have better character.. Gonna just watch this one and hope its a barnburner!
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

I want Cub to knock Stephen's head off, will that happen unlikely. But being that Swanson has better technique I do believe he could wear Stephens down.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

I'm pulling for Cub so he may potentially get a rematch with Aldo. I almost always want to see a rematch between two fighters when one scores such a quick victory. It's even more of a desire to see a rematch when the two fighters are high caliber athletes like Aldo and Swanson or Mendes.

I cant stand Cub Swanson and hope he gets KTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    I cant stand Cub Swanson and hope he gets KTFO.
    You and I seem to be the only one's who are ok with Stephens winning. I like both fighters, for their capability and performance, not who they are as a person. Soo I'm hoping and praying for a potential FOTN back and forth between the two.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Remember kids, you can brutalize some poor SOB to near death, just don't shove a referee because that's taking shit too far.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Remember kids, you can brutalize some poor SOB to near death, just don't shove a referee because that's taking shit too far.....
    That poor SOB was trained in Tapout, bro. The ref wasn't. Maybe.

Thread Information