Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diaz brothers remain strong on pay stance

Default Diaz brothers remain strong on pay stance

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/6/30...-on-pay-stance

Nick Diaz and brother Nate Diaz are in a very unique situation in the modern mixed martial arts world. Where the UFC has failed in creating compelling, high drawing stars, the Diaz brothers--Nick especially--remain "mainstream attractions." This may be in large part due to antics that some find tasteless or objectionable, but it's difficult to deny that Nick is a bigger star than anyone else currently fighting at welterweight in the UFC.

When Myles Jury recently took to Twitter to announce that he accepted a fight with Nate, stating, "I respect u a lot, BUT... I confirmed to fight you & have been waiting on you for a week. Are we getting after it or what?" it was yet another opportunity for someone in the UFC to put out the message that the brothers were being offered fights but declining to sign on the dotted line.

Nate responded on Twitter, making it clear that the issue was with his contract, "Bout my money #breakbread till then don't call .."

Jury would go on to write up a lengthy Facebook postdevoted to his feelings on fighter pay, outlining such ideas as "All he needs to do is fight and he will make 6 figure FOR SURE." The problem is, of course, that six figures could mean $100,000 or it could mean $999,999. And, if Nate feels that he is worth more than the amount that he would get paid as things stand now, the simple concept of "six figures" likely carries little weight.

Nick would then post a "joke" (or something) on his Instagram, followed by a series of hashtags outlining his own continued struggle to see his pay increased, "#$$ #Makeadeal #ufc #nickdiaz #bloodmoney #1love #ht #hateLV."

With Jon Jones and Ronda Rousey as the UFC's top stars, and only pulling around 350,000 buys this year, Diaz likely feels that he can equal the top drawing power of anyone currently fighting in the UFC. And, he appears content to either see that leverage pay off or simply continue to enjoy his retirement.

Either way, this is as long as we've seen stars hold out in pay disputes with the UFC in such a public fashion.

And neither brother appears willing to stop now.
    I get that they both want more money and that's great and all but not fighting isn't making them any money. They need to shut up and fight, and prove that they're worth the extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I totally agree, not fighting isnt doing them any favors. I think they both need to come back, have some dominant performances, and then negotiate some change. It seems like it would work better in their favor, especially having a more recent fight to better barter their contracts with.

Not to mention: It's irritating as fuck to watch and wait for this to come to a head when you are a Diaz fan waiting patiently to see them fight..
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

The Diaz brothers are the creepy old guy at the club who's clueless his time has passed. No one is sweating this hold out except for them and their most die hard fans. They're entertaining to watch, but very far from being elite fighters. They're not ambassadors for the UFC or MMA. They need to fight while they can and stop having delusions of grandeur.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Even the most fervent detractors can't possibly believe the Diaz brothers aren't elite.

They may never hold UFC gold but both are firmly within the top 10 of their division when they are active.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Even the most fervent detractors can't possibly believe the Diaz brothers aren't elite.

They may never hold UFC gold but both are firmly within the top 10 of their division when they are active.
    I agree, they are both top 10 fighters.

But really, how are they surviving without any paydays at all? Are they flipping burgers at McDonalds?

They should certainly be getting a cut of PPV buys if they are drawing more people to purchase them - that does make perfect sense. If they are asking for more actual fight pay, that should directly coincide with where they are ranked, and the longer they hold out, the more they will slide.

These dudes need an accountant, or a third grade math teacher. Example: 3 fights @ 60K/60K > 0 fights @ 250K/250K.
    LJS-NEMS

Fuck em. Let them sit on the shelf while their contract stays in effect and we'll how long they last.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    ...They need to shut up and fight, and prove that they're worth the extra cash.
    From their perspective, they've already proven that. Shutting up and fighting would be proving it again.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    From their perspective, they've already proven that. Shutting up and fighting would be proving it again.

rh
    Have the Diaz brothers ever shut up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Well, had they just "shut up and fought" they would have completed the contracts they didn't like and could be negotiating new ones or free to sign with other organizations.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Thread Information