Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diaz brothers remain strong on pay stance

Meh, they really only hurt their fans this way. They may be fine not fighting, the UFC sure as shit is fine with them not fighting too, but someone who likes to watch them fight is S.O.L.
    You have to know what you don't know.

I may be wrong, but I was thinking I read something where Nick stated he did not want to fight but that he would if it was for a title or a $500K pay day. Not that he was looking for that, but just stating thats what it would take for him to change his mind. If this is the case I have no issue with the man. If he isn't looking or claiming he deserves the big fight / pay day then it is a different story.

Nate on the other hand states he just wants the bigger pay day. I do not see where he is entitled to anything at the moment.

As far as elite. Nick yes, Nate good, maybe even great but I wouldn't call him elite just yet.

He's fought for a title and smashed Maynard who was formerly a firm top contender in the top promotion in the world. I'd qualify that as elite. There are literally hundreds of fighters who NEVER get to fight for a title.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Have the Diaz brothers ever shut up?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    Well, had they just "shut up and fought" they would have completed the contracts they didn't like and could be negotiating new ones or free to sign with other organizations.
    They have, like, ideals and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    I may be wrong, but I was thinking I read something where Nick stated he did not want to fight but that he would if it was for a title or a $500K pay day. Not that he was looking for that, but just stating thats what it would take for him to change his mind. If this is the case I have no issue with the man. If he isn't looking or claiming he deserves the big fight / pay day then it is a different story.

Nate on the other hand states he just wants the bigger pay day. I do not see where he is entitled to anything at the moment.
    Entitled is a pretty loaded word. I don't think he's entitled, for the record.

But he got paid 15k to show against Thompson and Maynard, something like a 35k/fight paycut from his previous contract. It's 10k less than he got to fight Maynard something like 5 years ago. Granted, I'd place at least half the blame for this debacle on Kogan, but can you think of a fighter with as much name recognition as Diaz, as much experience and time in the company as Nate who is getting 15k guaranteed to fight top 10-5 fighters?

I don't think he's entitled, but I certainly think he's worth more than 15/15.

Again, if I were dana, I'd stop fucking with Nate and simply throw Kogan under the bus. I'd tell Nate publically "look, the way I see it, you owe me 5 fights. You're pissed about your money? Your idiot manager got you this deal. Fire that guy so I never have to hear him talk again, and you and I will talk...but as long as he's in your corner, you get the contract you signed."

Then I wouldn't say another word about him. I wouldn't even offer him fights, or condone other fighters calling him out. I'd literally freeze him out into non-existence, and his stock would dwindle, daily.

If he fired kogan, I'd offer him a two fight deal at 40/40, with an option to improve if he wins both fights--and with an explicit understanding that both fights will be against top 10 fighters, and that beating both of them doesn't guarantee him a title shot. To put 40/40k in perspective, Chris Leben was making 50/50 on his way out the door, losing 5 out of his last 6 to guys like Derek Brunson and Andrew Craig.

Nate Diaz is worth more than Chris Leben. All day long.

As far as elite. Nick yes, Nate good, maybe even great but I wouldn't call him elite just yet.
    He was ranked 5 when the pulled him from the rankings in a fit of butthurt. I'd say top 5 LW's on the planet is elite, but that's certainly up for interpretation.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 07-01-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    That was a terrible ranking though. Thats at 1-2 in his return to the org, with his only win being over a guy currently slated to fight at 145. Yes, his losses were to the two top welterweights at the time, but losing doesnt increase your stock.
    Same goes for Nate. 1-2 in his last 3, mind you with a much more notable win for his weight class.
    I'm not talking about Nick at all.
    I'm talking about Nate in that entire post: Nate got a huge paycut, Nate has an idiot manager, Nate owes 5 fights, Nate was top 5 when they pulled him out of the rankings, etc.

Nate also has 3 great wins since his return to LW. Cerrone was on a 5 fight streak and would have gotten a title shot with a win over Nate...and he was utterly shut down. Jim Miller had only lost to Bendo in something like 10 UFC fights, and was a submission whiz-kid who'd never been submitted before...and who is still solidly ranked as a top 10 fighter, even after the loss. Gray's star is on the decline, but he's still a great win, and is still ranked top 10 even after losing 3 out of his last 4.

Thomson made something like 60k to show against Nate's 15k to-show purse. Maynard made something like 50k to show against Nate's 15k to-show purse.

I'm not saying he deserves 250/250. I am saying he's worth much, much more than he's getting.

If you take popularity out of the equation, both diaz brothers are mid-card fighters at best. And thats based on what I saw out of them what? A year ago?
    You can't take popularity out of the equation. lesnar made a half-million with a 1-0 record off a dented tomato can. I'm not saying it's right, but popularity is a big factor in salaries.

Nate fought less than 8 months ago. He was pulled from the rankings for "inactivity" within 6 months of that fight.

Chris Lytle was a great fighter who people loved to watch, but its not like he was ever getting ppv points. In fact, I can honestly say Ive purchased more ppv's based on Lytle's presence then both Diaz' combined.
    Again, I'm not saying he should get points. I'm not saying he should even get six figures without a win bonus--certainly not for the next couple fights. He screwed up, royally, by signing that contract.

But I am saying that the contract is grossly unfair, particularly when you consider the risk he's still incurring with the fighters he's being offered.

You could make the claim that since Nate is no longer ranked by UFC.com, and since he's certainly not getting paid like a top 10 fighter, he should be getting softball fights, worthy of an unranked 15/15 fighter.
    But he isn't. He's getting offered top hungry, top 10 level risk for entry-level reward.

Yes, it's his fault for hiring and listening to an idiot manager.

But that doesn't make it fair.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

6. Default

ah sorry. Threw me off a bit when you said WW rankings.. I thought Nate was ranked in lw, and nick in ww.

It's true, Nate has been getting fucked left and right when he is truly worth much more than what he's been getting, middle fingers and performance bonuses aside.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    ah sorry. Threw me off a bit when you said WW rankings.. I thought Nate was ranked in lw, and nick in ww.
    That was entirely my bad. Nice catch, sorry for any confusion.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I'd contend that the UFC really does need a guy like Nate Diaz and he probably should command 40-60/fight based on tenure and overall performance.

No one at any weight class is better at absolutely separating contenders from pretenders than what I've seen out of Nate. If you aren't ready to take the next step, he makes sure you know it pretty quickly.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information