Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Diaz brothers remain strong on pay stance

They have a million cards to promote and limited fighters with name recognition. I wouldn't say they NEED the Diaz brothers but they could certainly use them.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    Please enlighten me as to why the UFC NEEDS Nate Diaz or Nick for that matter to come back.
    ...a lot of hairs being split over diction here.

Nate isn't entitled to more money, but he's certainly worth more than 15/15k.
    zuffa doesn't need Nate, but the fact that dana is still trolling him on a weekly basis and encouraging up-and-coming jobbers to troll him is a strong indication that there is serious interest in getting him back.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

zuffa doesn't need Nate, but the fact that dana is still trolling him on a weekly basis and encouraging up-and-coming jobbers to troll him is a strong indication that there is serious interest in getting him back.

rh
    If Nate thought he was worth more then he should have signed for more. Period. He has no one to blame but himself and his manager. The way I see it; the UFC has a ton more leverage in this situation than the Diaz brothers do and I think they will hold out for the long run and I personally hope they do.

Honor the contract you signed and move on. Its literally as simple as that.
    Last edited by 0mega1; 07-01-2014 at 06:56 PM.

We are simply stating that Diaz is worth much more than he unfortunately signed for.

I now think that if Nate came back and fought whoever they matched him up with, they'd give him more undisclosed money. Especially if he had an entertaining fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    If Nate thought he was worth more then he should have signed for more. Period. He has no one to blame but himself and his manager. The way I see it; the UFC has a ton more leverage in this situation than the Diaz brothers do and I think they will hold out for the long run and I personally hope they do.
    I literally said that, multiple times.

Honor the contract you signed and move on. Its literally as simple as that.
    The question becomes whether it's a fair contract or not, and whether he's going to fight again.
    At this point, I see much more trolling from dana and fighters who are offered Nate as an opponent than I do from Nate. He's simply responding when his name is dragged down. If he's fine not fighting, good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    I now think that if Nate came back and fought whoever they matched him up with, they'd give him more undisclosed money.
    That's giving dana much more credit than I would, and I'm betting much, much, much more than Nate would.

Especially if he had an entertaining fight.
    I can't remember a fight Nate was in that wasn't entertaining. What does he have, 10 OTN bonuses?
    Yeah, he should totally be excited and honored to have the privilege of fighting top 10 opponents for 15/15k.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

That's giving dana much more credit than I would, and I'm betting much, much, much more than Nate would.

I can't remember a fight Nate was in that wasn't entertaining. What does he have, 10 OTN bonuses?
    Yeah, he should totally be excited and honored to have the privilege of fighting top 10 opponents for 15/15k.

rh
    I realize that it isn't likely to happen. Dana has been one of the more vindictive figures in MMA when he feels like he and/or UFC is slighted in any way. The ideal scenario would be, as I believe you mentioned, give him money to fire Kogan. Or at least talk to Dana/Lorenzo and admit that he shouldn't have allowed Kogan to negotiate on his behalf before he asks to renegotiate.

Nate Diaz has been one of the most consistent performers in the fight game. Him having so many bonuses speaks to his ability to put on exciting fights. If I came across as questioning that, that wasn't my intent. I take nothing away from his talent and his history. I wanted him to beat Bendo so his team could have a UFC championship to add to their already impressive trophy case. And part of me is being selfish in wanting to see him come back soon to fight whomever because he's one of the most entertaining fighters in the sport today. I agree that he should be paid better than $15K/$15K, especially since he was getting $50K to fight Henderson.

He ultimately did sign the deal though. And as everyone has said ad nauseum, that's his fault for allowing this to happen. Though I am likely to believe that Kogan sold him on the deal by saying, "You'll never lose, you're gonna make so much money off this deal when you smash everyone. Henderson had HGH in that damn toothpick..." And he ends up ranting again.

I would like to know if Nate did try to talk privately to them before this all spilled out into the public forum. If he did then I can't say I blame him for going to this length. If I were in his position, I don't know if I'd react any better.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Even the most fervent detractors can't possibly believe the Diaz brothers aren't elite.

They may never hold UFC gold but both are firmly within the top 10 of their division when they are active.
    They're exciting. Nick seems to get more hype despite being 1-5 in his last six UFC fights. His success was outside the organization. I hold Nate in higher regard. I guess my interpretation of elite isn't top 10. Elite is best of the best, so just a different way of looking at it. I still don't think they appreciate their place in this scenario though. The UFC is way more entertaining with them and they need the UFC to make money. The UFC however doesn't need the Diaz brothers. Making this dispute very public will only make it worse. The brothers believe they're showing the UFC what's up and that's just not the case.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    I realize that it isn't likely to happen. Dana has been one of the more vindictive figures in MMA when he feels like he and/or UFC is slighted in any way. The ideal scenario would be, as I believe you mentioned, give him money to fire Kogan.
    you know, the more I think about it, the more sense that angle makes. He'd also be sending a message to managers and their fighters with that tactic.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

rh
    None of us know the exact terms of contracts. But I remember reading things in the past and such and one thing I have always been under the impression of is that the UFC is required to offer you x amount of fights within a certain time frame.

Basically, the contracts is supposed to prevent the UFC from shelving a fighter on the last fight of there contract (ala Vera or AA years ago). If this is true then as long as the UFC offers fights to the Diaz brothers there contract will be frozen until they fulfill it.

Thread Information