Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolce: Fighters should fire their managers and spend that money on world-class coache

Default Dolce: Fighters should fire their managers and spend that money on world-class coache

Dolce: Fighters should fire their managers and spend that money on world-class coaches
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/7/1/585...ey-coaches-mma
    According to Dolce, while finances may be the root of the problem, it has nothing to do with his rates, but rather, the rates that Kelvin's management team charged him for doing nothing but picking up a phone. 20 percent to be exact, which Dolce says is too much for an agent or manager to take from their fighters.

And much like it did Kelvin, it prevents them from affording the proper coaching staff to help them actually win fights.

He vented his frustrations on a recent edition of The MMA Hour:

"I love Kelvin. I think he's a great kid and we've developed a strong bond on The Ultimate Fighter season 17. I helped him prepare for his final fight against Uriah. I helped him drop to welterweight for the first time ever in his career where he looked absolutely amazing. He made weight on the first try; strong and healthy. And he just ripped apart Brain Melancon in his debut. From there, he was poorly, terribly mismanaged. Unfortunately, and this happens to a lot of athletes; a lot of athletes have these managers and agents that just keep putting their hands in their pockets and misguiding them because the managers want the athlete to believe that they are the most important part of their career. When that's not true. When athletes get to the UFC, you get the traditional four-fight deal with a very specific bump and then you get another four-fight deal if you satisfactorily get through those first four fights. These managers are charging these athletes 20 plus percent just to answer a phone call from Joe Silva to get an opponents name. Then they call the athlete and say, 'you're fighting Johny so and so.' The manager then takes 20 percent from that. The athlete then doesn't have enough money to pay for a world-class coaching staff that will properly prepare them to get them through that first four-fight deal to beat those first four individuals to look forward to the next higher pay grade. Dana White had said this a while back, UFC fighters don't need managers, they need lawyers. You can hire a lawyer to do contract review and negotiation for a few hundred to a few thousand dollars and then be done and not have to give 20 percent of all your earnings in perpetuity, like these managers and agents do. Now there is very few managers, I don't want to bash them all, there are a few good ones out there. One of which is Dan Lambert. Lambert is with American Top Team and they have more UFC fighters than any management system, and they only charge five percent to their athletes. That's it. That's full training, full management, coaching, cornering, that's it. That's the epitome, that should be the ideal. Every athlete out there that's coughing up 15, 20 percent to these management systems, fire your manager, hire world-class quality coaches. Pay 100 dollars a session to bring in top tier training partners so that you can get the best training there is. Hire a massage therapist, chiropractor, eat healthy organic foods constantly. That's what these athletes need in order to compete at a world class level. Unfortunately, Kelvin was dramatically mismanaged. As you heard, Dana was going to give him a $50,000 bonus for 'Performance of the Night,' but because he missed weight, he was ineligible. As B.J. Penn said the other day, 'Kelvin jumped over a dollar to pick up a dime.' And that's what he did by not bringing me in or somebody like me. It doesn't have to be me, it just has to be a highly-qualified coach to help out."

Dolce revealed that the management in question was Denovo Elite Athlete Management. A team that didn't pay Dolce for six months, which meant he had to pay for his own airfare, hotel room and Kelvin's groceries for one of their first fights together.

And to date, they never reimbursed him for those expenses, which was around $2,000. Furthermore, Dolce revealed that Kelvin was the one who paid him for what was owed to him and said he and Kelvin will sit down and discuss working together for his next fight.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

20% is fucking ridiculous! I am an agent (Surety Bonding) and we have clients that do 100's of millions of dollars worth of work (construction) & we have clients that are much smaller. The most you will ever see charged in this industry is 3% flat (which is super high and usually for smaller companies) and that goes to the Surety companies and we only take a fraction of that (typically 30% of the premium charged). Obviously this is comparing apples to oranges but I seriously cannot see how a fighter's manager/agent can justify taking 20% of their fighters earnings; unless that 20% includes traveling, training, coaches and other shit; I just dont see it.

These are reasons why I understand having business savy and trustworthy family or friends to be a manager or fighter.
    Keep that money in house or at the very least find people who will work for you not work you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    Keep that money in house or at the very least find people who will work for you not work you.
    absolutely!
    Last edited by HillbillyDeluxe; 07-01-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Mma is such an odd sport with varying levels of pay, promotion, training and overall involvement that I'd have to know the specifics of each situation to logically comment on good vs. bad deals. I would assume dolce is not privy to all of that info either and was just sounding off like he is apt to do.

Edit- as a matter of fact, I know at least one fighter whose manager is his accountant, contract lawyer, promoter, landlord and mt trainer all in one.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Mma is such an odd sport with varying levels of pay, promotion, training and overall involvement that I'd have to know the specifics of each situation to logically comment on good vs. bad deals. I would assume dolce is not privy to all of that info either and was just sounding off like he is apt to do.

Edit- as a matter of fact, I know at least one fighter whose manager is his accountant, contract lawyer, promoter, landlord and mt trainer all in one.
    If that is the case then 20% would be very reasonable IMO.

That's what I'm saying. Boxing and mma have this odd culture where the trainer assumes a paternal-type role and becomes responsible for many aspects of the fighters' lives. That's why it's such a big deal when some switch camps or open their own gym.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Before reading the article, I was hoping he was talking about Mike Kogan.

I wonder which high profile manager get will be the first to come out and claim that they do so much more than "just answer the phone" and that, if anything, 20% is cheap...

The more Dolce talks the less I like him he should stick to what he's good at and stay out of the media.

He totally overlooks one of the biggest income revenue's a fighter has and that's sponsorships apparently he doesn't realize that managers/agents have to do a lot work to secure these.

Thread Information