Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White will push B.J. Penn to retire if Penn loses to Frankie Edgar

Default Dana White will push B.J. Penn to retire if Penn loses to Frankie Edgar

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/1/...-frankie-edgar

B.J. Penn could be on the brink of a career rebirth at 145 pounds on Sunday night, when he meets Frankie Edgar in his featherweight debut.

Or, the 35-year-old former welterweight and lightweight champion could be on the brink of retirement.

If Penn loses to Edgar in the main event of The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale at the Mandalay Bay Events Center, his boss is going to suggest he walk away.

"This is B.J. Penn's last fight possibly," UFC president Dana White said Tuesday on FOX Sports 1. "If he wins, we'll see what he does from there, but if he loses, I will actually push for him to retire."

Penn, though jumping to another weight class, is still 1-4-1 in his past six fights. He hasn't won since knocking out Matt Hughes at UFC 123 in 2010.

"It could be possibly watching Michael Jordan playing his last basketball game," White said. "It could be Tiger Woods' last golf game."
    I love BJ Penn but Dana's comparisons are idiotic. However, even though Penn stepped away for a while, could this very well be Penn's last fight if he loses? I certainly hope not. I really hope Penn gets revenge on Edgar this weekend. That would make my entire MMA year, hands down.

This fight makes no sense. If I see Penn go out on another loss to Edgar I will be really pissed.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

I understand he is trying to do what may be best for them, but this is [and always has been a] very paternalistic attitude. He would want to push him to retire for his safety, but if he (or any other fighter) said no they don't want to retire and those fighters asked for their release if they can't fight for UFC, would Dana release them? Probably not because he wouldn't want them to fight for another organization.

Also, I agree that this fight makes no sense. The only interesting factor for me is seeing BJ at 145. If he somehow avenges it, people will be on that bandwaggon really fast.

Also, BJ is not the Jordan of MMA. We may have seen the Jordan of MMA play his last game when he knocked out Pedro Rizzo, or when he won a controversial split decision to Johny Hendricks. I would've said when he broke his leg against Weidman but all signs point to him coming back. At this point, only Fedor, Anderson and GSP should be considered the best to ever play this game. No one else.
    Last edited by Dr. MMA; 07-03-2014 at 09:22 PM.

And when will be the day that Dana finally pushes himself to retire?
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    And when will be the day that Dana finally pushes himself to retire?
    Why would Dana retire when he only makes good decisions and has never made a mistake, ever? In his mind, at least.

if he's ko'ed in round 1 i would agree, but if Penn brings it and goes to a competitive decision whos to say he cant return for more fights at this new weight class

I predict BJ gets outclassed just like the last fight. Love him or hate him, BJ has slowed down in the last few years. Edgar will win a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

After the last two fights, how can you even give Penn a chance? This has to be the dumbest matchmaking ever.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/1/...-frankie-edgar

I love BJ Penn but Dana's comparisons are idiotic. However, even though Penn stepped away for a while, could this very well be Penn's last fight if he loses? I certainly hope not. I really hope Penn gets revenge on Edgar this weekend. That would make my entire MMA year, hands down.
    I'd have to disagree. I think his comparisons are quite accurate. He's saying that it will be one of the greatest all time athletes in their respective sports competing for the last time. Similar situation to Teemu Selanne in the nhl playoffs this year.

I've never been a fan of Penn, but I do respect what he's done and that he certainly has a hardcore fanbase. Personally I do hope he retires if he loses though, hes offered very little to the sport in recent years and I just don't see that changing.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    After the last two fights, how can you even give Penn a chance? This has to be the dumbest matchmaking ever.
    which "last two fights" are you referring to?

If you're talking the two Edgar fights, I'd say Penn has a great chance because BJ actually won the first one. If you haven't actually watched the fights, don't believe the bullshit revisionist history that indicates that Penn got "dominated" or any of that nonsense. Yes, he lost the second one convincingly--without a doubt--but go back and watch the first one, and do it with the sound off.

If you're talking the Diaz/MacDonald bouts, I can't see how they'd factor in; particularly since Penn was essentially fighting MWs as a LW, giving up 9+ inches in length and 20lbs+ in cageweight. If Georges St. Pierre fought a well-rounded, top 5 fighter who weighed in at 210+ and had an 86" reach and lost, would people shit on him for it? If he lost to two of them in a row, would they say "oh, he hasn't won a fight in x amount of time?"

I don't think this is terrible matchmaking at all. I think this is a great barometer to see where both fighters are in their respective careers. I'm a huge BJ fan, but Penn gets too much credit for being "the best fighter ever" when "he's motivated," or if he "would only change his camp" or whatever the excuse of the month is. I get all that, and acknowledge it's hype.

But the fact of the matter is Edgar is the only guy his size who has beaten him in more than a decade, and if you really score both of those fights objectively, they're 1 and 1, and this is a rubber match.

Plus, you have all the answers to the eternal questions about BJ Penn: is he motivated? He certainly has to be--he asked for this fight, its a chance to avenge an inappropriately-scored bullshit loss on his record. His last chance, in fact. Which BJ will show up? Well, he's changed his camp. He's fighting with a huge variety of new influences, instead of keeping the same old yes men who are going to tell him jumping out of a pool and running with rocks underwater are enough to beat the likes of Georges St. Pierre. His conditioning concerns have always been overblown [blame joe rogan for initiating the myth during the second Hughes bout] but realistically, they should be put to rest in the smaller weight class. He'll never be a cardio machine, but he was generally as solid as 60-70% of the champions in UFC history. Dropping a weight class should only improve on that.

And if it doesn't? Well, that's a great indicator that his era has passed. If he's not motivated, if he doesn't show any new looks, or is still mentally/emotionally vulnerable, those are all great indicators that his star has truly fallen, and he'll walk among mortals for the rest of his career.

But even if he loses, I'd need to see the fight before he gets written off. If he's tight and sharp but Frankie is just a bit tighter and sharper, that doesn't mean it's time for Penn to retire, unless he wants to. I think dana--like so many fans--are looking at this fight like it's a foregone conclusion. It may be likely that Edgar wins--it may be that he even wins easily--but I don't think any of that is a foregone conclusion.

And that's what makes MMA so interesting to me.

Far from "making no sense," I think this is a great fight. It's more reality-based, with more actual drama and less contrived melodrama than, say Wanderlie/sonnen--which probably would have outsold the shit out of this one, sadly.

For me, this fight hearkens back to when I first started watching MMA and there were questions to answer with every round of action. I'd like Penn to win, but I'm excited about the bout no matter what happens.

Because I love the sport, and this fight is all about the sport.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 07-02-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information