+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dana White will push B.J. Penn to retire if Penn loses to Frankie Edgar

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    The last two Edgar fights. It's been a while since I saw the first one, well either of them, but I don't recall BJ being close in either of them.
    Yeah, as riv mentioned, you definitely have to watch the first fight again. I think two biases played a role when watching/scoring the first fight: [1] commentary bias (as usual) and [2] the fact that Edgar did better than we expected and Penn did worse than expected, which made it seemed like he was doing better than Penn.

In reality though, the first two rounds weren't even that close. Penn clearly won those rounds. The next two rounds were closer but Penn offensively and defensively outscored Edgar in round 3. Round 4 was very tough to score and it could go either way. I gave it to Edgar but could easily be persuaded the other way or a 10-10. Round 5 was the only clear round for Edgar. Thus, 48-47 in my eyes.

Edgar putting a stamp on the 2nd fight.

Doc, do you really think a third fight doesn't make sense at this point for them?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Doc, do you really think a third fight doesn't make sense at this point for them?

rh
    I really don't. In the record books, it's 2-0 for Edgar. Even if one see it as a 1-1 tie and the 3rd is now a tie-breaker, their careers have just taken different paths for the third fight to be meaningful. Edgar has still been looking good and is at the top of the division. Even in his 3 straight losses, he has looked great and some would argue that he should still be LW champ. BJ Penn, although fighting bigger guys, just hasn't looked good and he's one foot out the door. Given these factors, the selling point for this fight isn't great.

It doesn't mean BJ can't win, because he really possible could but the selling point isn't there for most as most will see it as Edgar being 2-0 and still in the top 3 of the division, whereas BJ Penn is half-retired.

I obviously will still watch because it's BJ Penn fighting and that's an event in itself for me!

Quote Originally Posted by The Muss View Post
    I wish i could out it as well as riv did but im not that smart

All i can say is i love bj penn. He is my tied all time favourite sportsman with a rugby league player named darren lockyer i cried when he retired and ill cry when bj is done.

War baby jay
    Maroons could've used him in Origin this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Maroons could've used him in Origin this year.
    Mate definatley still a great series looking forward to Wednesday night for game 3

6. 07-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Mate definatley still a great series looking forward to Wednesday night for game 3
    No argument here...I will be watching definitely!

Where are you from dude?

Do you follow a team?

Where are you from dude?

Do you follow a team?
    Kiwi, but I live in Melbourne. So I follow the Warriors, but I have a soft spot for the Panthers. You?

Tamworth im a die hard broncos fan picked them when i was around 8

Born and bread NSW but support queensland could never bring my self to cheer against my clubs stars

So who do you support in the origin

Tamworth im a die hard broncos fan picked them when i was around 8

Born and bread NSW but support queensland could never bring my self to cheer against my clubs stars

So who do you support in the origin
    Queensland, 100%. I started watching League at a time when NSW were pretty dominant (Daly, Fittler, etc) so I went for the underdog at the time.

Fyi, I started an NRL thread in Other Sports since we are well and truly thread jacking this discussion!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information