Thread: Injured UFC champ Anthony Pettis answers critics

Default Injured UFC champ Anthony Pettis answers critics

Anthony Pettis won the UFC lightweight title in August 2013 by submitting Benson Henderson. That was also the last time he fought, and will fight, for some time thanks to injuries and the UFC booking him as a coach of The Ultimate Fighter.
    Many fighters below Pettis have not taken kindly to the champ being unable to defend his belt and keeping the rest of the division in limbo. Contenders Khabib Nurmagomedov and Josh Thomson have both mocked Pettis, for example.
    The young champion insists that the criticism of his long lay-off is unfounded. For one reason, his injuries have been serious and required recovery.
    However, Pettis states that he could be ready to fight again by August, but that he won't be able to because of his commitment to coaching The Ultimate Fighter.
    "I don't think these guys are educated whatsoever," Pettis said of his critical division rivals in a recent MMA Fighting interview.
    "The TUF gig is something I didn't choose to happen. The UFC chose that. I'm not going to say no to an opportunity like that. That signs me up for three months filming for that, so that's why the fight got pushed back all the way. I could be ready to fight by August, at the latest. From now to August, if I started a training camp, I could be ready to go."
    Pettis said that he took six months off from kicking entirely and recently began his training again. "We had a sparring session and I felt good. Definitely, I wouldn't say it was 100 percent. I still feel like I'm second guessing the knee, but it's still fresh off. I think with two months of kicking, I'll be back normal," the champ estimated.
    All in all, Pettis said that his time off has made him antsy, but also given him time to heal a bunch of injuries. His next fight is scheduled to be against Gilbert Melendez, who "Showtime" is coaching opposite on the season of TUF.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mm...193856530.html

I can't and will never understand why the UFC uses division champs as coaches for their "past its prime" reality show. Why not use retired fighters to coach? Guys like Matt Hughes, Liddell, Franklin are good examples of guys who can coach. IMO, 3 fighters who no longer have ties with the UFC (Sonnen, Couture, Tito) were some of the better coaches on the show, as they really tried to push their fighters through training.

I don't blame Pettis at all for the long layoff. If he says he can fight in the next month or 2, that would have been great. To be held back 16 months after winning a title, with surgery, followed by a 3 month waste of time with the filming of the show, just kills his momentum.

Ps...A lot of the straw-weights are really good looking, but even then I don't care to see them fighting in the UFC, or the female fighters in general.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    I can't and will never understand why the UFC uses division champs as coaches for their "past its prime" reality show. Why not use retired fighters to coach? Guys like Matt Hughes, Liddell, Franklin are good examples of guys who can coach. IMO, 3 fighters who no longer have ties with the UFC (Sonnen, Couture, Tito) were some of the better coaches on the show, as they really tried to push their fighters through training.

I don't blame Pettis at all for the long layoff. If he says he can fight in the next month or 2, that would have been great. To be held back 16 months after winning a title, with surgery, followed by a 3 month waste of time with the filming of the show, just kills his momentum.

Ps...A lot of the straw-weights are really good looking, but even then I don't care to see them fighting in the UFC, or the female fighters in general.
    TUF sucks. It was one of my favorite shows on TV for the first 12 seasons now its gone to shit. I can't imagine the ratings being high although I have no idea what they are, because it seems like the majority of these boards don't watch anymore and we represent the demographic that would be most likely to watch.

TUF sucked after 4 seasons, and just got worse from there.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I got up to Season 10 of TUF before I stopped watching.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    TUF sucked after 4 seasons, and just got worse from there.

rh
    I know I enjoyed it longer than most. I even used to defend it on here a lot but that season when Brock Lesnar was coach was just so dull and I never watched it again asides for like 2 or 3 episodes in random seasons where I determined the show is very boring.

Thread Information