Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Aldo out of UFC 176 main event vs. Chad Mendes with injury

Hybrid View

Default Jose Aldo out of UFC 176 main event vs. Chad Mendes with injury

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/jose-al...es-with-injury
    Jose Aldo out of UFC 176 main event vs. Chad Mendes with injury

By: MMAjunkie Staff July 2, 2014 8:25 pm

UFC 176′s main event featherweight title fight has been wiped out for now thanks to an injury to the champion.

Jose Aldo (24-1 MMA, 6-0 UFC) has suffered an injury that will keep him from fighting on next month’s pay-per-view in Los Angeles against challenger Chad Mendes (16-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC). The news first was reported on Twitter by UFC on FOX. MMAjunkie confirmed the news with a UFC official, who said the promotion does not yet know what will become of the card’s main event.

UFC 176 is set for Aug. 2 at Los Angeles’ Staples Center, and the main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

The nature of Aldo’s injury was not immediately known, nor was the duration of the time he’ll be on the shelf.

Aldo, who’s ranked No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings (and No. 2 pound-for-pound), knocked out Mendes, who’s ranked No. 2 at 145 pounds, at UFC 142 in January 2012. Aldo defended his title via first-round knockout from a knee strike, though the champ benefited from a cage-grab just prior to the fight-ending blow.

Mendes has been anxious for a rematch ever since. The 29-year-old Team Alpha Male fighter has won five straight fights (four via knockout) since the title loss while defeating the likes of Darren Elkins and Clay Guida. Most recently, he scored a decision victory over scrappy Nik Lentz at UFC on FOX 9 in December.

Aldo, meanwhile, has won 17 straight fights, most of which have come during his UFC and WEC tenure, while racking up eight consecutive title defenses (six of which have officially come in the UFC). Most recently, the 27-year-old Nova Uniao fighter scored a unanimous-decision victory over Ricardo Lamas in February.

But now the Aldo-Mendes rematch is on hold, and UFC 176 will await news of a new headliner.
    Wow this really sucks
    Last edited by rivethead; 07-03-2014 at 02:38 AM. Reason: post text

quack, quack, quack.

Hopefully this is a Wediman type of deal where the fight only gets pushed back a month or two and not a long lasting injury like Cain, Pettis and Cruz.

How many times had he pulled out of a fight now? 5? 6?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Aw goddamnit. I hope it just gets delayed as well.

I also hope it gets delayed only. Mendes is the most deserving guy right now imo.

I too hope just for a delay, but Are. You. Fucking. Serious?

was looking forward to Mendes mauling him this time..
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

UFC 125, UFC 149, UFC 153, and now this. I too hope that this doesn't delay the fight too long. Mendes has earned his shot and I think he's going to take it this time around. As for a replacement bout, I heard Dillashaw vs Barao II was rumoured for UFC 177, maybe it could be bumped ahead a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Strip him, champions need to fight. He only has fought 6 times in the last three years, thats unacceptable. And who knows how long he will be out with this injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Strip him, champions need to fight. He only has fought 6 times in the last three years, thats unacceptable. And who knows how long he will be out with this injury.
    I agree, this is getting a bit ridiculous.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Thread Information