Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jose Aldo out of UFC 176 main event vs. Chad Mendes with injury

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Please tell me that this is a joke... And actually, I don't even get it. Are you saying that Aldo is ducking Mendes? That he's favoring a bout with BJ? That the UFC is faking the injury to push a different story line?
    would you put it past the UFC? Im not saying Aldo is ducking Mendes although he has in the past - what im saying is the UFC sees BJ Penn (hypothetically) come out and smash Edgar. Knocks him out in the 2nd round after a dominating first round - BJ licks edgars blood off his gloves - screams something a long the lines of "im back baby" when Rogan interviews him - you dont think even for a second Dana trys to sell BJ vs Aldo? That right there sells more than 90% of the title shots in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Strip him, champions need to fight. He only has fought 6 times in the last three years, thats unacceptable. And who knows how long he will be out with this injury.
    That isn't much less than Silva and GSP were fighting though.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    quack, quack, quack.
    I would love to think you're trolling here, but then...

would you put it past the UFC? Im not saying Aldo is ducking Mendes although he has in the past
    ...so the guy who thinks bones wasn't ducking Goose by asking for Cormier [within weeks of saying Dan wasn't worthy, but mere hours after Cormier announced he was injured enough to warrant surgery] is saying Aldo has ducked Mendes...the guy who just earned the rematch in December.

Hypocrite much, there; hypocrite?

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    Velasquez and Pettis both had injuries just the same as Aldo indeed, but they havent backed out of events as much as he has. I personally would like to see Champions be more active..
    Pettis has yet to defend his title. That's right, zero title defenses per year.
    Cain has yet to fight more than twice a year, whether he's champion or not.

To simplify the math: Aldo fought five months ago. Pettis hasn't fought in 10 months. Cain hasn't fought in 8 months.

I really only am agreeing with the call to strip him of his title just because Mendes is well deserving of another shot and has been waiting patiently to be honest with ya. I just dont think it's fair to him.. but then again shit happens and not everything in life is fair.
    Mendes earned his shot in December. Weidman waited a year for his title shot--and Anderson fought out of weight class during that time.

He'll be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    I wasn't a fan of GSP not defending his belt then either. As a champion you should fight three times a year, if not more. Look at Donald Cerrone, that guy is fighting non-stop.
    Cerrone is not a champion and never will be and is always broke and needs to fight.

He's not a barometer for how normal fighters schedule bouts, never mind champions. If all champions fought 2x a year, I'd be happy.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I would love to think you're trolling here, but then...
    originally i was.

...so the guy who thinks bones wasn't ducking Goose by asking for Cormier [within weeks of saying Dan wasn't worthy, but mere hours after Cormier announced he was injured enough to warrant surgery] is saying Aldo has ducked Mendes...the guy who just earned the rematch in December.
    You still have your panties in a bunch of a little instagram video? Or are you actually believing the words of Dana White? Like i said in the past Jones has you guys hook, line, and sinker.

Remember when Dana said it wasnt about contract negotiations...?

"We just signed Gustafsson to a new deal, and Jones will get a new deal too," White stated in the post-UFC 173 media scrum. "We're doing a new deal with him."

As of Monday, though, the parameters have changed. In an interview with UFC.com, the UFC head honcho said Jones has several fights remaining on his contract, and furthermore, he'd rather fight Daniel Cormier.

"Just to clear up a couple things, people think we're in contract negotiations with Jon Jones - we're not," White told UFC.com. "Jon Jones still has five fights left on his contract. So what we're doing right now is trying to get him to sign the bout agreement for Gustafsson. He doesn't want to fight Gustafsson. ... Lorenzo and I have a meeting with Jones on Thursday to get him to sign the bout agreement, and he's asking to fight Cormier instead."
    Oh how things change in the world of Dana White 2 days later.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/2/...-not-alexander

and the previous ducking i was referring to was this;

"Chad Mendes is still starting, haven’t fought anyone ranked yet, only fought guys that are not that good," he said. "He’s coming off good wins, but he hasn’t beaten good guys. So I believe the next two should be Ricardo Lamas and Cub Swanson.

^ that was after 4 straight (T)KO and it wasnt good enough for Aldo. THEN he beats Lentz who was 3-2-1 and things magically changed for Aldo.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...e-rematch-yet/

Hypocrite much, there; hypocrite?
    rh
    If you say so. I mean, i did say that the whole DC fight was bullshit and the fight (goose) would have been signed by the Thursday (at the time) and it ended up being annouced on the Sunday i believe? Like i said, Jones trolls the shit out of you guys and gets you everytime.

I'm not talking about what jones said. He trolls the media all the time. I'm talking about you.

If you say so. I mean, i did say that the whole DC fight was bullshit and the fight (goose) would have been signed by the Thursday (at the time) and it ended up being annouced on the Sunday i believe?
    At the time, your stance was also that DC was a much more difficult test for Jones than Goose--even when it was pointed out that he needed surgery. You also went on to defend jones' trollish 180 flipflop, saying DC hadn't "done anything to earn" the LHW shot until he'd beaten a faded, TRT-less Henderson.

If bones had gotten and injured DC instead of a Goose rematch, you'd have been thrilled.

And yet, you need to nitpick with Aldo, who just fought 5 months ago.

Consistency...and not being a troll...are not your strong suits.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I'm not talking about what jones said. He trolls the media all the time. I'm talking about you.
    Sure lets talk about me.

At the time, your stance was also that DC was a much more difficult test for Jones than Goose--even when it was pointed out that he needed surgery. You also went on to defend jones' trollish 180 flipflop, saying DC hadn't "done anything to earn" the LHW shot until he'd beaten a faded, TRT-less Henderson.
    Do i think DC deserves a shot - i guess so. I wasnt really for it before the Hendo win and even that doesnt scream title fight. In a perfect world it would be nice to see DC fight rashad or glover if he wasnt injured. I want the rematch with Goose personally to shut everyone the fuck up with this nonsense that Goose beat Jones and is better than Jones etc, etc. But what i want doesnt matter, i support either fight.

Whats funny to me is everyone is so quick to say "DC would smash Jones" but when Jones says he wants to fight DC everyone is all like "Woooah what about Goose and the rematch blah blah blah" the guy literally cant win with some of you guys.
    And then there was this;

Yet he is still fighting the #1 contender. And for arguments sake - havent many people said DC is a bigger challenge to Jones than Goose?
    I never stated he was a bigger test - i asked a question - referring to the board saying he was a bigger challenge. And for the record i stand by my statement that fights at a higher weight class (or lower weight class) dont mean shit when it comes to the division you choose to fight in.

Remember when everyone flipped the fuck out over Pettis trying to drop down to fight Aldo for the title? Yet DC can do it with Jones. Gotcha.

If bones had gotten and injured DC instead of a Goose rematch, you'd have been thrilled.
    injured DC? So if DC would have choose to take a title fight, with a blown out ACL - that he knowingly had - that would be Jones fault? I mean DC would have had to accept the fight - correct? And was vocal that he would accept the fight? Interesting.

And saying id be "thrilled" is a long shot when i stated above i preferred the Goose rematch.

Consistency...and not being a troll...are not your strong suits.
    you're entitled to that opinion.

How does every thread end up being about Pokes? This is getting old real fast lol smh

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    How does every thread end up being about Pokes? This is getting old real fast lol smh
    you can thank Riv for that. Come to think of it - hes almost at your level now when it comes to Jones.

For the record, I "flipped the fuck out" when Pettis was talking about title shot without ever having fought at 145, and leapfrogging valid contenders in doing so, and one of the guys I mentioned he'd be screwing was Mendes.

That's a little different than a shallow field at 205, when DC had already fought at LHW, and I was always calling for him to be in line behind the rematch with Goose.

But again, you're entitled to your myopic opinion.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

That's a little different than a shallow field at 205, when DC had already fought PAT CUMMINGS at LHW, and I was always calling for him to be in line behind the rematch with Goose.
    Fixed. Pettis i guess should have hypothetically fought Estevan "El Terrible" Payan before he called out Aldo. Thats assuming Cummings was even ranked in the top 50 LHW's in the world.

Thread Information