Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Aldo out of UFC 176 main event vs. Chad Mendes with injury

Strip a guy who has not been beat in quite some time and fights twice a year while the average for a fighter is three?

Correct me if I am wrong but the only champs who have fought more than twice a year recently have been Mighty Mouse and Rousey, maybe Jones as well.
    Cain, Weidman, Pettis, Aldo have all fought twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    Strip a guy who has not been beat in quite some time and fights twice a year while the average for a fighter is three?

Correct me if I am wrong but the only champs who have fought more than twice a year recently have been Mighty Mouse and Rousey, maybe Jones as well.
    Cain, Weidman, Pettis, Aldo have all fought twice a year.
    Velasquez and Pettis both had injuries just the same as Aldo indeed, but they havent backed out of events as much as he has. I personally would like to see Champions be more active..

I really only am agreeing with the call to strip him of his title just because Mendes is well deserving of another shot and has been waiting patiently to be honest with ya. I just dont think it's fair to him.. but then again shit happens and not everything in life is fair.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

who was it that asked if BJ wins will they fast track him to a title shot...? Convenient Aldo pulls out 4 days before Penn vs Edgar?
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 07-03-2014 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Strip him, champions need to fight. He only has fought 6 times in the last three years, thats unacceptable. And who knows how long he will be out with this injury.
    I remember when Dominick Cruz was injured that most of the people here were saying how a champion should defend the belt at least once a year. It's surprising how an average of two fights a year is now unacceptable.

From December 2010 - December 2013, GSP only defended the belt 5 times. There was no outcry with that.

Quote Originally Posted by rahdeezy View Post
    I remember when Dominick Cruz was injured that most of the people here were saying how a champion should defend the belt at least once a year. It's surprising how an average of two fights a year is now unacceptable.

From December 2010 - December 2013, GSP only defended the belt 5 times. There was no outcry with that.
    I wasn't a fan of GSP not defending his belt then either. As a champion you should fight three times a year, if not more. Look at Donald Cerrone, that guy is fighting non-stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by rahdeezy View Post

I definitely wasnt thrilled with either of the layoffs and downtime. I wholeheartedly understand getting injured tho, it just sucks when it happens over and over and over and there's a traffic jam in the division because of it.

Look at Donald Cerrone, that guy is fighting non-stop.
    If only more fighters shared his same drive and passion to be competitive and stay active
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

^and healthy.... maybe the champions push themselves harder and that's why they get injured a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    who was it that asked if BJ wins will they fast track him to a title shot...? Convenient Aldo pulls out 4 days before Penn vs Edgar?
    BJ Penn vs Chad Mendes for the Interim Featherweight Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Aldo has a bad history of injuries. At least one was outside of the gym (the motorcycle accident) but I think the others were training related. My view is that a lot of it has to do with cutting too much weight. I think guys get too fragile trying to go through a camp more lean than their bodies are built for.

Strip him, champions need to fight. He only has fought 6 times in the last three years, thats unacceptable. And who knows how long he will be out with this injury.
    I've been bothered by the cancellations and some of the longer layoffs. But averaging 2 fights per year is totally acceptable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Please tell me that this is a joke... And actually, I don't even get it. Are you saying that Aldo is ducking Mendes? That he's favoring a bout with BJ? That the UFC is faking the injury to push a different story line?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    BJ Penn vs Chad Mendes for the Interim Featherweight Title
    Ha! If BJ actually gets his shit together and makes a title run, I'd be very happy. But I just don't buy the "a motivated BJ" stories. I think he's awesome, ballsy, but has just seen the highest levels of the sport pass him by.

BJ is done. Forget about it. Even if (big if) he beats Edgar, I don't think he stays motivated anyway.

Thread Information