Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jose Aldo out of UFC 176 main event vs. Chad Mendes with injury

are you really that obtuse?

lets revisit how things really happened, since you can't let shit go:

DC is asked about bones, makes unflattering remarks.
    bones is butthurt, makes unflattering tweets.
    DC said he'd love to fight him, bones calls him fat or something.
    DC toys with idea of dropping down in weight if Cain regains championship. Cain does.
    DC drops weight, signs on to fight Rashad Evans, who was top 3 at the time. Immediate talk of a title fight occurs.
    Evans pulls out of fight with injury, Cummins comes in on short notice. Talk of title fight continues.
    DC beats Cummins, bones says he's not worthy of fighting him, that he hasn't accomplished anything.
    DC beats Henderson.
    DC announces he's injured, needs surgery, but would put it off if bones is really serious about ducking Goose. bones immediately says he'd rather fight DC than goose, not because DC beat Hendo, but because he's a former Olympian and stuff.

So for your model to work, We'd have to alter history/reality a little bit.

First, Pettis would be significantly smaller than Aldo. So lets make him 5'4", with a 61" reach. It's not as bad as the disadvantage DC gives up to bones, but it's altered for their respective body frames.

Pettis would also have been #1 contender when he was going to drop down [he wasn't, Melendez was]. Then he would have had to agree to fight a top 5 opponent [he didn't]; then that opponent would have gotten hurt and your tomato can would have stepped up with less than a week. [Side note: it's a good thing neither of those imaginary guys were jon jones, or that whole imaginary card would have been canceled because they had an imaginary photo op or something.]

Aldo would have said something like "Anthony Pettis isn't worthy of fighting me, he's never accomplished anything." Then Pettis would have beaten Mike Brown, if Mike Brown was 5 years older and had recently come off an asskicking and had cold-turkeyed TRT. Then Pettis would have had to announce that he's hurt and should really have surgery, but if Aldo really really wanted to duck Mendes, Pettis would take the fight. Aldo would then say he thinks Pettis is the best fighter ever, I mean, he was champ back in the WEC, and he's a much better fight than Mendes.

Yeah, they're totally the exact same situation.

thanks for clarifying that for me, son.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 07-03-2014 at 10:05 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

UPDATE: Per Mike Chiappetta of Fox Sports, Aldo fell while training and suffered what appeared to be fairly serious back and neck injuries.

If thats to be believed, then Aldo is going to be out for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I'd read he'll be re-evaluated in three weeks after PT.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    would you put it past the UFC? Im not saying Aldo is ducking Mendes although he has in the past - what im saying is the UFC sees BJ Penn (hypothetically) come out and smash Edgar. Knocks him out in the 2nd round after a dominating first round - BJ licks edgars blood off his gloves - screams something a long the lines of "im back baby" when Rogan interviews him - you dont think even for a second Dana trys to sell BJ vs Aldo? That right there sells more than 90% of the title shots in the near future.
    I absolutely don't think the UFC would do this. Especially because BJ and Aldo's fights were less than a month apart. Even if you wanted to tee up that fight, you wouldn't need to cancel the main event of 176 to do it. Really, even to do it in the same time period. And that's ignoring the issues of trying to cover up a conspiracy...

Crazy talk.

UPDATE: Per Mike Chiappetta of Fox Sports, Aldo fell while training and suffered what appeared to be fairly serious back and neck injuries.

If thats to be believed, then Aldo is going to be out for awhile.
    Holy cow. "Serious back and neck injuries?!" That's terrible. I hope it turns out to be non-serious and he heals quickly. Neither your neck nor your back are places where you want to have serious damage.

Now im skeptical. What is he 80?

So what's the word on UFC 176, do we have another 151 on our hands? Surely they can't run with Mousasi vs. Jacare as a pay per view main event? What a gong show. Maybe they move the entire card up to 177 under Barao/Dillashaw II.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Pettis has yet to defend his title. That's right, zero title defenses per year.
    Cain has yet to fight more than twice a year, whether he's champion or not.

To simplify the math: Aldo fought five months ago. Pettis hasn't fought in 10 months. Cain hasn't fought in 8 months.

Mendes earned his shot in December. Weidman waited a year for his title shot--and Anderson fought out of weight class during that time.

He'll be OK.

Cerrone is not a champion and never will be and is always broke and needs to fight.

He's not a barometer for how normal fighters schedule bouts, never mind champions. If all champions fought 2x a year, I'd be happy.

rh
    Pettis and Velasquez have had hell of a LONG injury layoffs for sure, I was just referencing that they havent pulled out of several events, not their inactivity.

I agree with that when you put it that way about Cerrone and if all Champions fought atleast twice. That's alot better than once or not at all so I guess cant complain too much! Cerrone is horrible at managing his finances and does indeed fight as much as he can just to stay paid, but I mean you gotta applaud the guy for staying active like that.. Reckless or not.
    Last edited by HillbillyDeluxe; 07-04-2014 at 06:47 AM.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

I hear they're really hoping either Frankie or BJ blasts through the fight on Sunday and can do a quick turnaround. Otherwise, Mendes is getting pulled off the card since the only other rumoured replacement would be pulling Bermudez or Guida from their bout and it's not like they can make that for the interim or anything...

I dont see BJ beating Frankie. I dont see BJ having a chance in hell vs Chad, I'm sorry to say but I think he is on the final lap in the homestretch of his career. Edgar vs Mendes would be fun

I guess we shall see, I could be wrong.. Have been wrong before.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

I wasn't a fan of GSP not defending his belt then either. As a champion you should fight three times a year, if not more. Look at Donald Cerrone, that guy is fighting non-stop.
    You are correct. He is fighting non-stop. But he is fighting non-stop to support his spending habits more than anything else.

Thread Information