Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Jose Aldo out of UFC 176 main event vs. Chad Mendes with injury

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rahdeezy View Post
    You are correct. He is fighting non-stop. But he is fighting non-stop to support his spending habits more than anything else.
    What does it matter why he is fighting so much? The point is, most fighters can put in 3+ fights a year, except champions. Maybe the UFC is telling them to fake an injury, who knows. But PPV buys are immensely higher with title fights,and the higher the weight class the more popular it usually is. It's been to long since the HW title has been defended also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    What does it matter why he is fighting so much? The point is, most fighters can put in 3+ fights a year, except champions. Maybe the UFC is telling them to fake an injury, who knows. But PPV buys are immensely higher with title fights,and the higher the weight class the more popular it usually is. It's been to long since the HW title has been defended also.
    It does matter as it pertains to the comparison you made with Aldo and Cowboy. You were pretty much saying that Aldo should be more like Cerrone by fighting as much as he does. But you failed to mention that the only reason why Cerrone fights as much as he does is due to large part for financial reasons. Aldo is fighting for his title, Cerrone is fighting for money. Aldo's reason for fighting requires a lot more time and preparation, Cerrone just needs to go in and get paid. Aldo wants to be nothing less than 100% when defending his championship. Cowboy can come in 50% and still accomplish was he wanted, which is to get paid. Champions do not have that luxury. You are trying to make is seem like Cerrone is fighting for noble reasons, but Cerrone has said himself why he fights so much. Their motives for fighting are completely different, but yet somehow you are saying Aldo should be like Cowboy.

    If you had stated that Aldo should fight as much as JJ, then that would have been fair.
    Last edited by rahdeezy; 07-04-2014 at 10:42 AM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sackville N.B
    Posts
    3,134

    Default



    lol

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Champions fighting twice a year is fine by me. No sense needlessly burning fighters out and most likely reducing the length of their careers to trot them out an extra few times a year.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rahdeezy View Post
    It does matter as it pertains to the comparison you made with Aldo and Cowboy. You were pretty much saying that Aldo should be more like Cerrone by fighting as much as he does. But you failed to mention that the only reason why Cerrone fights as much as he does is due to large part for financial reasons. Aldo is fighting for his title, Cerrone is fighting for money. Aldo's reason for fighting requires a lot more time and preparation, Cerrone just needs to go in and get paid. Aldo wants to be nothing less than 100% when defending his championship. Cowboy can come in 50% and still accomplish was he wanted, which is to get paid. Champions do not have that luxury. You are trying to make is seem like Cerrone is fighting for noble reasons, but Cerrone has said himself why he fights so much. Their motives for fighting are completely different, but yet somehow you are saying Aldo should be like Cowboy.

    If you had stated that Aldo should fight as much as JJ, then that would have been fair.
    Aldo is fighting for money, he came from the ghetto and supports his entire family with his fighting career. I mentioned Cerrone not just because he fights so often, but also because you don't hear about him getting injured and pulling out of every second fight he is in. Aldo isnt just getting injured and rehabbing, he is accepting fights and then getting injured while training, OFTEN. It's similar to Lil Nog, Sakara, or Cruz, snake-bitten and its starting to hurt other fighters trying to capture gold.

    Maybe we should mention more about Aldo not wanting to fight Mendes, he didn't want to give him a rematch and now that he did he had to pull out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Maybe we should mention more about Aldo not wanting to fight Mendes, he didn't want to give him a rematch and now that he did he had to pull out.
    Yeah, we should talk about how Aldo didn't want to give Mendes a rematch. As of September of last year, Aldo had this to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Aldo
    "Chad Mendes is still starting, haven’t fought anyone ranked yet, only fought guys that are not that good," he said. "He’s coming off good wins, but he hasn’t beaten good guys. So I believe the next two should be Ricardo Lamas and Cub Swanson
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...e-rematch-yet/
    At that point--since getting KTFO'd by Ald--Mendes had won four fights:
    Cody McKenzie was 1-2 going into his fight with Mendes. Not even a top 20 FW
    Yaotzin Meza was making his UFC debut, not even a top 20 FW
    Darren Elkins was the highest ranked fighter he faced--on a 5 win streak, he was top 15.
    Clay Guida, the biggest named fighter he'd faced, was still not a top 1 FW. He'd had one fight at FW--a fight he actually lost to an inconsistent Hioki, but was somehow awarded a win.

    Not exactly a murderers row, particularly not in a tight division. Lets look at Lamas--a guy who hadn't been KTFO'd by Aldo yet--who Jose was saying should get next:
    Matt Grice. meh. Not a top 20 win, and a making his UFC debut. Lamas finished him.
    Cub Swanson...a solid, top 10 win. Lamas finished him.
    Hioki...Hatsu was ranked top 10 at this point. it was a soft ranking, but at least Lamas had a bonafide, non-controversial win over him. Definitely a good win over a top 15 fighter, even if you thought his top 10 was too generous and soft.
    Eric Koch...had been on a tear since losing to Mendes [but you have to remember, that fight was a WEC bout, years before Aldo highlight-reeled Mendes], was also softly ranked as high as 10 going into the bout. Lamas finished him.

    Anyone who thinks Mendes was more deserving of a rematch than Lamas was of a title shot--even the most OMG-Aldo-totes-grabbed-the-fucking-fence-fanboy--is high. Swanson had a five-fight streak that was comparable to Mendes, and had gone 7-2 since his title fight [where he also got KTFO'd by Aldo].

    So when Aldo said Mendes didn't deserve a rematch--YET!!!!--and that there were other guys as deserving or more deserving, he was 100% accurate.

    What happened when Mendes went out and won another fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Aldo
    I think my next opponent can be any of them. They have been winning lately. Swanson not so much but Mendes won his last five fights so he is deserving.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/3/3/...ants-fight-him

    Isn't it time to put the "oooh, Jose Aldo is ducking Mendes" bullshit to rest? He asked for Mendes. Did you ever hear Anderson or jones say a guy has earned a rematch?

    He's hurt. There isn't a conspiracy. Take of the tinfoil hats and make some fucking popcorn or something.

    rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 07-04-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: added links for quotes
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Did you ever hear Anderson or jones say a guy has earned a rematch?
    rh
    well at least fighters need to actually win more than 1 fight before they get their rematches at FW.....

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Aldo is fighting for money, he came from the ghetto and supports his entire family with his fighting career. I mentioned Cerrone not just because he fights so often, but also because you don't hear about him getting injured and pulling out of every second fight he is in. Aldo isnt just getting injured and rehabbing, he is accepting fights and then getting injured while training, OFTEN. It's similar to Lil Nog, Sakara, or Cruz, snake-bitten and its starting to hurt other fighters trying to capture gold.

    Maybe we should mention more about Aldo not wanting to fight Mendes, he didn't want to give him a rematch and now that he did he had to pull out.
    As I stated earlier....
    Cerrone has the luxury of not being 100% when entering a fight given his stated motives. It was a bad comparison on your part and I fixed it by saying it would have been more fair to compare Aldo to JJ. Every fighter is fighting for money, but not everyone tweets how they are broke and need a fight ASAP.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •