+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: T.J. Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao likely set for UFC 177 in Sacramento

I think the UFC is really cautious in who they're booking in PPV main events for these lower weightclasses and outside of Faber, I don't think they want to risk a low buyrate with a main event against Assuncao, who while probably deserving, isn't a money fight and he isn't anything close to a developed name. Not to say Barao is a draw but he's a lot more sellable than Assuncao at the moment.

Mizugaki is rumoured to be penciled in as the opponent for Cruz's return bout and they don't want to throw Cruz in such deep waters like a five round fight although the Alpha Male storyline for a TJ/Cruz bout is there.

The only other matchup I could see working better than Barao would be Faber, which would be a major money fight with a huge backstory but there are loads of hurdles to jump through before they match those two teammates up but from the way Faber has spoken about the possibility, I wouldn't be shocked if they make the money right and book a Faber/TJ fight waaaaaay down the line.

Normally I agree with you, FG, but not on this...

I think Faber has been pretty clear that he won't fight TJ. That fight wouldn't just disrupt friendships, it would put his gym composition in peril. Unless TJ leaves first to work 100% with Bang, I don't see this ever happening, regardless of the payday.

And, while I agree that Asuncao isn't a draw, I think the Barao/TJ fight does better after they have a fight or two to show off Barao. Right now, it's just a repeat of a main event that people just saw and were only mildly interested in the first place. Give it a fight or two and TJ will have more notoriety to build it as a clash of the two best in the division. Not only am I bummed that they booked the rematch, but I think it sells terribly.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

The way TJ and Ludwig have been parading around together since he won the title makes me think his time with Alpha Male is numbered - aka until Bang actually opens his gym. Faber told Ariel hes still at Alpha Male for a few more months until the location he picked to open the gym was finished.

He also said it wouldnt bug him if Bang cornered TJ during a hypothetical bout against him (faber)

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    The way TJ and Ludwig have been parading around together since he won the title makes me think his time with Alpha Male is numbered - aka until Bang actually opens his gym. Faber told Ariel hes still at Alpha Male for a few more months until the location he picked to open the gym was finished.

He also said it wouldnt bug him if Bang cornered TJ during a hypothetical bout against him (faber)
    TJ has been pretty vocal about wanting to split his time between Ludwig and Alpha Male. Pretty much said while prepping for a fight he'd train with Ludwig and the rest of his time is at Alpha Male.

Asuncao really should be getting the next shot with proper hype he'd probably wouldn't draw much worse then Barao who is not a draw at all. Could easily sell the fight as the new champ against the guy who holds a win over him.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information