+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Former UFC champion Hughes says Georges St-Pierre should retire for good

Default Former UFC champion Hughes says Georges St-Pierre should retire for good

LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes says Georges St-Pierre should retire for good.

St-Pierre has been on hiatus since vacating his 170-pound title following a controversial win over Johny (Bigg Rigg) Hendricks at UFC 167 last November. The 33-year-old from Montreal cited unspecified personal matters, saying he needed time away from the sport.

Hendricks went on to win the welterweight crown while St-Pierre, who continues to work out, required knee surgery after an injury in training.

St-Pierre has not announced his future plans other than to say that if he comes back, it won't be in 2014. Firas Zahabi, his longtime coach, told the MMAFighting website recently that he expects his fighter to return.

"I think there's a lot of fire left in him," he said of St. Pierre. "Especially since he got injured now, he's probably more motivated than ever ... I think there's a lot of martial arts left in him."

But Hughes, who lost the UFC title to St-Pierre at UFC 65 in November 2006, says now may be the time for St-Pierre to finish on a winning note.

"The UFC would hate me saying this but I'm going to say it anyway," said Hughes, now vice-president of athlete development and government relations for the UFC. "If I was GSP, I'd probably hang them up. Here I am a guy that lost my (last) two fights and I'd love to get back in there (to finish on a win). And Georges got his hand raised the last fight.

"So if I had to give advice, I'd say, 'You want to get out? Get out.'"

The 40-year-old Hughes, a UFC Hall of Famer, prefaced his remarks by saying he is a fan of St. Pierre.

"I like him. He always gets his hand raised and he always does it with a method. But he took a punishment with Johny Hendricks and you could tell that by his face at the (post-fight) press conference.

"He's made a lot of money. I don't know what he makes a fight, but he's made a lot of money. He made a lot more money than I have. And I'm retired. So he could step back, retire. He's got plenty of money.

"And it seems like maybe he's even lost a little bit of the drive. I wish he was more wanting to go out and finish somebody nowadays. It's just like he's going out there and kind of going through the moves, so I don't think his heart's there.

"He did get beat up last time. I don't know if he wants to come back and take a beating like that."

If GSP was to return to the Octagon, there will be people waiting to welcome him.

"He's going to come back against a guy like Robbie Lawler, who's going to hit him. And Johny Hendricks, who's going to hit him," said Hughes.

Hughes also cited St-Pierre branching out into movies like "Captain America: The Winter Soldier."

"So there's not many reasons for him to come back ... You tell me what's he got to come back for?"
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/for...3372--spt.html

I hate to agree with Hughes, but I do, and GSP is my favorite fighter. Very few champs know when to hang them up, and have the chance to go out on a win, and GSP did exactly that. He has absolutely nothing left to prove, he cleaned out the division handily. As much as I miss him in the Octagon, the lack of motivation has been evident, and that isn't the GSP I want to see.

I agree with Hughes and I too am a huge GSP fan. I just think if he came back it might not be a pretty ending to his career.

I have no interest in seeing GSP fight again. I liked seeing him go out gracefully and on his own terms. And I wish more athletes could do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

I think if GSP came back it would be like Jordan's 2nd comeback. There might be some glimpses of greatness but he'd be a shell of himself. Be like Lennox and retire on top.

I have to disagree. GSP is still so far head and shoulders above everybody else in the class, he doesn't have to be near 100% and will still win. He beat Condit convincingly, but imagine how much more he would have dominated if not for the knee layoff. A motivated, healthy GSP would have put on an extremely one sided victory vs Hendricks. I say healthy only because he looked smaller than normal and not well rested to me in that fight, not implying he had any kind of injury.

If GSP doesn't want to come back, then that's one thing. If he does want to come back, he still has the tools to put on another lengthy title reign.

Fuck that.

GSP has plenty left in him.

MMA needs him right now.

Agree with Hughes. Reality is, that as an athlete, in terms of his legacy and in terms of selling himself as a product, he has nothing to gain by coming back. His prime his behind him. He's slower, weaker and taking more damage in his last few fights than his entire career (outside of the first BJ Penn fight). He goes down as the greatest champion in his division with one hell of a run. GSP has no where to go but down from here. Stay retired. Enjoy life. Make future champions. GSP is one of the few MMA fighters that could be a truly successful coach.

Georges will regret returning to MMA in the end. There's no super fight waiting for him. There's no one in the WW division he can beat to raise his stock (not even beating Hendricks a second time). There's only younger, hungrier fighters looking to make names of themselves.

I am not a fan of GSP. I did not enjoy a lot of his title fights. But the UFC and MMA in general definitely miss having someone of his stature. Say what you will about the way his fighting style evolved but he is/was a genuine star.

Another serious knee injury is not going to do him any favours and as previously mentioned by others there are no great fights to come back to which will further his legacy.

The only fight I would want to see is the one which won't happen, GSP vs Rory MacDonald.

GSP vs Silva at 177.5 is the fight I still want to see. When that fight was a possibility, everyone on here thought GSP would get demolished, but Chael showed that good timing and solid take downs work extremely well against Silva. Weidman showed that good timing and refusing to be mentally intimidated work as well. If there is one thing GSP has, it's good timing. With all this time off, he can gain a solid 10lbs of muscle.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information