Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitch: 'I won't be surprised if fake, worked fights *start happening in the UFC

Default Fitch: 'I won't be surprised if fake, worked fights *start happening in the UFC

Fitch: 'I won't be surprised if fake, worked fights like there were in Japan start happening in UFC'
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/7/4/587...-ufc-japan-mma
    Unlike World Series of Fighting (WSOF), Fitch tells Bloody Elbow, a promotion which has stayed "true to the sport."

"WSOF is staying true to the sport. They're allowing it to be a sport. It's about who the best fighter is, whose game is the best and who has the best approach to winning the fight. The UFC is really going more towards entertainment; they're almost fully about entertainment now. It's almost to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if fake, worked fights like there were in Japan start happening. They're so controlling of what they want for the product, because they went the route of marketing to professional wrestling fans, and that's just not the fanbase for MMA, it's not the same, but it's easy money if they provide the level of entertainment that those people are used to, which is fake."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Bingo
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

oh christ he really did just open that can of worms didnt he
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

I honestly don't think anyone would be surprised at this point.

He's starting to spew some of that Lindland-level bitterness lol.

I mean, Fitch is 36, lost three of his last five and barely got past Marcelo Alfaya in his last showing, whose name I had to look up since I just refer to him as Alflafa. Today, Fitch is fighting Dennis Hallman at a "last minute MW fight", with Fitch weighing in at 183 and Hallman coming in at 181(wonder who couldn't make the cut?) and there are a lot of people questioning if he's even got enough gas in the tank to pull this one off.

Fitch has had heat with UFC for a long while now and stuff like this doesn't warm him up to them. Not a fan of this BS, he knew how to play the game and chose not to win over the fans like a Matt Brown(who has less talent) and his career suffered. The Mike Pierce fight was where I really started turning on Fitch, since he got touched up and copped out by playing it insufferably safe.

As far as worked fights in Japan, while there are definitely a lot of questionable early PRIDE bouts and the obvious Pancrase stuff, but I think the REALLY hinky stuff had a lot more to do with the matchmaking, where they'd give guys like ten days notice or less that they were fighting a guy like Wanderlei.

He knew exactly how to play the damn game as proven by his long winning streak. Any other game that you would be referring to is kinda proving his point. Sports from the athlete's point of view, should be about winning, and only winning. It's the company's job to get people excited. That combined with top athletes trying to beat each other, should be enough for the sport to thrive. If the sport can't survive on it's own merit, then you have a problem that will eventually be exposed, no matter how much hype, or gimmicks you put with it.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    He knew exactly how to play the damn game as proven by his long winning streak. Any other game that you would be referring to is kinda proving his point. Sports from the athlete's point of view, should be about winning, and only winning. It's the company's job to get people excited. That combined with top athletes trying to beat each other, should be enough for the sport to thrive. If the sport can't survive on it's own merit, then you have a problem that will eventually be exposed, no matter how much hype, or gimmicks you put with it.
    No, it's not "kinda proving his point", since "true to the sport" of MMA wouldn't involve a career of laying and praying. I appreciate the "athlete's POV" of winning over anything but it's incredibly naive and wholly ignorant of sports as a BUSINESS, which it is. If he wanted to do this as an amateur, I'd get his point, but there's a reason why the trap was so hated in the NHL and defensive basketball is always poo-poo'd in the NBA, it doesn't sell and a massive aspect of PROFESSIONAL sports is money. Also, you're neglecting the entire UFC video game deal and how he carried himself as a brand, which again, was him not "playing the game" and gaining favours with his bosses.

And his long winning streak you speak of, when all told, he wrestlefucked his way to TEN decisions over his UFC career and five after the GSP massacre, which throughout his UFC career only two (the Silva and BJ bouts) were remotely sellable and when you go back and watch, for example-Fitch/Alves II that didn't win him ANY fans.

Jon Fitch is a brand, just like Josh Koscheck or Ben Askren or Matt Lindland or Jon Jones, it's part of the game and especially in individual professional sports, the image and personality is a necessary evil. Disagree? Talk to Floyd Jr.....

If you can find a way to sell Jon Fitch fights to the casual fan, you'd have a job with the UFC PR department because he's regarded by most of the mainstream fans as a "boring fighter'. Now he's 36, starting to see his skills deminish at the tail end for a secondary promotion.

He also went on the attack saying that the UFC killed sponsors by charging yearly fees. I actually agree with the notion, but when an ex-UFC fighter talks only about the bad, it comes across as bitter and nothing more.

When Tito and Rampage did it, it smells of Bellator shenanigans. But with WSOF having a pretty good relationship with the UFC, I think that this is just Fitch dishing out shots as a way to promote himself. And I don't think it's going to make fans care any more or less about his fights.

Damn. Yep, Alves 2 was especially terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    He also went on the attack saying that the UFC killed sponsors by charging yearly fees. I actually agree with the notion
    You agree that the UFC making sponsors pay to have their logo seen at their event is a bad thing? Really? (maybe im just misunderstanding you)

Thread Information