Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Fitch: 'I won't be surprised if fake, worked fights *start happening in the UFC

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    whats the negative effect? The "we dont make enough money" effect? Join the fucking crowd, i got spot inline right behind me.
    I really can't tell whether you are trolling or genuinely retarded. Either way I'm clearly wasting my time.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    I really can't tell whether you are trolling or genuinely retarded. Either way I'm clearly wasting my time.
    what did you say before?

    Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    Those sponsors more often than not were supporting the less well known (and less well paid) fighters who struggle to cover their costs as it is....Having fighters who have more sponsorship money that they can spend on quality coaching would potentially result in higher quality fighters at the bottom of their cards.
    All you did was argue money. And how IF they made more money, they MIGHT get a better coach and MIGHT result in higher quality fighters.

    Listen i have close friends who are pro fighters. They have sponsors and still have to work a second job to survive. Fighting isnt easy, being a professional fighter is even harder. They dont bitch and complain about the costs that come along with it.

    EDIT:

    The UFC charges sponsors a 100k rate for the year. Sounds like a lot? Well in the NHL sponsors pay upwards (and depending on the market of the team - NY Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, etc) 300k for the year and more than that if you are the bigger markets.

    Sprint paid the NBA 45 million for a 4 year deal and with all the other contractual requirments it will be in the ballpark of 250 million dollars.

    For NASCAR the sponsors pay anywhere from 200K (for small stickers) to 1.5 million to put the sticker on the quarter panals.( for the entire season)
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 07-05-2014 at 11:51 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    347

    Default

    I only talked money because it is only ABOUT money. For the fighters who lost sponsors when the UFC started taking their cut the tax had a NEGATIVE effect. For all the fighters who can't attract enough sponsorship because the tax is a barrier to entry for smaller companies it has had and still has a NEGATIVE effect. Highlighting it has nothing to do with bitching and moaning, it is a factual statement.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    You agree that the UFC making sponsors pay to have their logo seen at their event is a bad thing? Really? (maybe im just misunderstanding you)
    To be honest, I skipped past your back-and-forth with LordCC once it got a bit more heated. So this might be repeating things, but my view is:

    Companies should absolutely pay to be displayed directly on the Octagon or elsewhere in the arena or broadcast. However, paying the UFC to put their brand on fighters (e.g. shorts) is a bit different to me.

    1. In the short term, fighters with existing contracts got screwed. By changing the sponsorship market, a fighter's expected pay changed but their contract didn't. So fighters make less money than they reasonably expected when they signed the contract because the UFC changed the stipulations (e.g. sponsorship market). This is a big issue for me and why I'm 100% OK with some fighters who are pushing to renegotiate. (The shift from PPV to Fox & Fight Pass has a similar effect on very popular fighters and champions.)

    2. Fighters do activities outside of fight nights for sponsors. While the impact of these activities may be marginal, they are tied to the overall sponsorship that the UFC dried up.

    3. It's not clear to me that it applies universally. A few guys have come out with their gyms prominently displayed. And I don't believe that they have to pay the same fees to the UFC. So it's not universally applied, which I don't like.

    4. Personal bias, but overall, I prefer that popularity cash is paid out in a competitive marketplace. If you're lacking negotiating power with the UFC but have star potential in a market, the sponsor is a great route for cash. I don't like a single promotor locking that up.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    I only talked money because it is only ABOUT money. For the fighters who lost sponsors when the UFC started taking their cut the tax had a NEGATIVE effect. For all the fighters who can't attract enough sponsorship because the tax is a barrier to entry for smaller companies it has had and still has a NEGATIVE effect. Highlighting it has nothing to do with bitching and moaning, it is a factual statement.
    Whats the negative effect then? If "not making enough money" wasnt the effect.

  6. 07-06-2014, 12:11 AM


  7. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Whats the negative effect then? If "not making enough money" wasnt the effect.
    Do you think fighters having less opportunities to get sponsorship than they used to have is a good thing?

    1) Losing money and potential income is generally considered a bad thing.

    2) The reason it has changed is because the UFC introduced a tax on sponsors.

    3) Therefore, the tax has had a negative effect on fighters and sponsors.

    I try to see both sides of an argument but I don't know how this is even debatable.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    Do you think fighters having less opportunities to get sponsorship than they used to have is a good thing?
    They still have the same opportunities - its up to the sponsor to pay the fee. If they dont want to pay the fee you should question whether or not they are a good enough sponsor. Its a business. The sponsor is looking out for whats best for them, the fighter looks out for whats best for them, and the UFC looks out for whats best for them. If for any second you think the sponsors care about the fighters you're wrong. All they care about is the $$ you bring to them.

    1) Losing money and potential income is generally considered a bad thing
    sure it is, so dont agree to deals that would result in you (the fighter) losing money. If the deal doesnt pay the fee as well as you, why are you even talking to said sponsor?

    2) The reason it has changed is because the UFC introduced a tax on sponsors.
    As it should. As i stated above, they are doing nothing different than any other professional sports league. Actually, they are significantly less than those leagues.

    3) Therefore, the tax has had a negative effect on fighters and sponsors.
    No it had a negative effect on the sponsors who couldnt afford to pay the costs. Or felt it wasnt in their best interest to pay those cots. Which is fine by me. Not every company can afford to buy advertising spots from professional leagues.

    Look at it like this, i read an article that was talking about this and it says the following;

    if a PPV card gets 500,000 buys which is probably below average for ppv buys but it seems those are the numbers the UFC have been pulling in. The article said that this business journal worked it out to an average of 10 ppl per buy - based on viewing parties, bars, people watching it with friends, etc. So at 500,000 buys you get 5 million ppl seeing your ad for ONE PPV.

    Now take into consideration that 100k is for the year and a fighter fights 2-3 times a year if not more in some cases - that means you could have a chance of having one fighter you sponsor generate 10-15 million ppl who see your ad in one year.

    Like i said previously, if you want to hang with the big boys - you need to pay big boy money.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    As it should. As i stated above, they are doing nothing different than any other professional sports league. Actually, they are significantly less than those leagues.
    Actually, they're doing something considerably different than any other professional sports league.

    You indicated that the NBA and NHL charge roughly 3x the amount of sponsorship fee...but what's the minimum salary for a player in the NBA or the NHL? Last I checked--from players I know--the minimum a player could make in either league is a half-million a year. Additional sponsorships are nice at that point, but not critical, as LordCC was pointing out.

    You're also comparing unionized player associations to the UFC business model. That simply doesn't work--in both situations, the union had a voice in setting that 300k fee limit. With zuffa, they simply announced a change, and existing contracts were still in effect and enforced, causing many fighters with preexisting sponsorship contracts to take an immediate--and sometimes crippling--hit to their income. This wasn't even accompanied by a raise in the minimum show/win rates at the lower levels.



    So once again, it would probably be best for the board if you stop talking about things that you don't understand.

    BTW, I know professional fighters as well, and some of them do complain about money.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    Yeah, Bye.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    So once again, it would probably be best for the board if you stop talking about things that you don't understand.

    rh
    lol. Whatever you say homie.

  11. #30

    Default

    There is no logic with anyone whos name is bonesknows, Hes stating that the sponsors need to pay the ufc and to be honest that would be fine IF the ufc wasnt so worried bout themselves and took care of there fighters. Im sick of the ufc to be honest, they shit on there fighters unless then stand right in front of someone or if they poke the other guys eyes out for 5 rds. Bonesknows bashing on fitch because he wants to win? Because he doesnt want to be brain dead like Goodridge or Diago? Not ever fighter gets paid crazy money like that praised to be the p4p best like jones which he clearly IS NOT. Fighters who do there job and WIN dnt get the love because then charish their health. But according to Bonesknows they shouldnt fight because its not for them? theres guys who are the better MMA fighters who dont get the love like Jones or Diego like lets say Fitch, shields, even Benson. All because they are so called BORING. This is MMA not boxing, you cant stop a takedown or get up fom a takedown then thats your prob. Sorry for the rant but this Bonesknows just drives me crazy every time i see a post doesnt matter what it is, expecially when he will defend that Jones to the end like he is in love with him

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •