+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Faber looking for 'Kid' Yamamoto fight next

Default Faber looking for 'Kid' Yamamoto fight next

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/conte...to-fight-next\
    rmer WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber may have no interest in fighting teammate and current UFC bantamweight champ TJ Dillashaw, but 'The California Kid' wouldn't mind facing a fellow legend in 'Kid' Yamamoto next.

Faber, who defeated Alex Caceres in an entertaining back-and-forth scrap in the Fox Sports 1 prelims main event for UFC 175, was asked by FO if he'd be interested in facing another lighter-weight legend in 'Kid' Yamamoto back in our UK109 (US61) issue and at the time he wasn't to interested in the idea of facing the JMMA pioneer.

"That fight would've really been awesome, sadly it kind of went by the wayside," Faber told FO. "People don't realise how great 'Kid' Yamamoto was back in the day. I would've been a huge underdog to him. He's an accomplished fighter and that would've been an awesome fight, but at this point that ship has pretty much sailed."

However, with many asking questions on whether or not Faber would be willing to fight Dillashaw for the title, Faber shut them and down and instead brought up a potential fight against Yamamoto next instead.

"I'm ranked number two. I fight because I love it. I don't do it for the money. If someone had a billion dollars and wanted to make it work for the both of us, I'd talk to him. But I don't want to fight him. There are all sorts of tough guys I'd like to fight. 'Kid Yamamoto, I've been asking for that for a long time."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

That would be cool, Faber seems really gung ho about fighting in Japan and his fandom of Pride. This would be a fun fight probably but I think Faber would definitely win.

Very interesting choice by Faber. His career has been steady, while KID's has been on the decline...but I understand him wanting to answer questions he's had for a long time, and how that would offset the risk/reward equation that most fighters let dictate their decisions.

I remember great KID vs. Faber arguments back in the day.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

This will keep him busy while Barao/TJ II gets settled and from all I've heard, if TJ wins again ZUFFA is going to run hard at making a TJ/Faber title fight, with TJ going with Bang and Faber doing "business" for ZUFFA.

While Faber's noncommittal on it, TJ hasn't been as dead against it as one could be and both positions could soften. Meltzer kept talking about how THAT is the money fight at 135 and when they look at the PPV numbers for these lighter classes, I think they'll take a hard run at a TJ/Faber bout IF TJ wins. I've heard all the "same camp" arguments, but ZUFFA wants a story to sell and this is it.

I guess they could also do TJ/Cruz with the Alpha Male feud, but there are so many question marks against Cruz right now that I'm wondering if he can get past Mizugaki.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    This will keep him busy while Barao/TJ II gets settled and from all I've heard, if TJ wins again ZUFFA is going to run hard at making a TJ/Faber title fight, with TJ going with Bang and Faber doing "business" for ZUFFA.

While Faber's noncommittal on it, TJ hasn't been as dead against it as one could be and both positions could soften. Meltzer kept talking about how THAT is the money fight at 135 and when they look at the PPV numbers for these lighter classes, I think they'll take a hard run at a TJ/Faber bout IF TJ wins. I've heard all the "same camp" arguments, but ZUFFA wants a story to sell and this is it.

I guess they could also do TJ/Cruz with the Alpha Male feud, but there are so many question marks against Cruz right now that I'm wondering if he can get past Mizugaki.....
    There is also Assuncao. The UFC has a while before they have to pressure TJ and Faber into fighting eachother, if TJ can even defend the belt multiple times.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    There is also Assuncao. The UFC has a while before they have to pressure TJ and Faber into fighting eachother, if TJ can even defend the belt multiple times.
    They seem REALLY sour on a TJ/Assuncao II headlining a PPV. Business-wise, after the Ali/Johnson main card, they're scared shitless of booking a no-name challenging for a title because they'll pull a shit buy AND a low house. I think we'll see Cruz challenge before Assuncao, despite the fact that Assuncao is more deserving and arguably the number one contender....

The fight would have to be a fox card headliner or co main event. But as long as it is available, it takes a lot of pressure off Faber and TJ to fight, especially since Assuncao has a win over TJ. It would be easy for TJ to really push for that fight.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Kid hasn't fought in almost 2 years, and is 1-5 in his last six. Anybody who wants to see this fight is a sadist. There were enough squash fights over the weekend to fulfill your blood lust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Kid hasn't fought in almost 2 years, and is 1-5 in his last six. Anybody who wants to see this fight is a sadist. There were enough squash fights over the weekend to fulfill your blood lust.
    Faber's just in such limbo with his spot right now as they really can't make a solid argument for another title fight if Barao retains and I don't think Aldo is a viable alternative if he so chose to go back up because let's face it, Uriah isn't much of a "kid" anymore. Thing is, he's the biggest draw at 135 and is kinda in that unenviable Rich Franklin post Silva II spot where, he can main event a PPV and probably beat most of the division, but probably shouldn't get another title shot unless somebody fresh shows up(enter TJ).

Now, Faber was originally supposed to coach opposite Frankie but the sides didn't wanna do a CW and I don't think Cruz and his camp would risk fighting Faber until Cruz gets his cage legs back and we see how 2014 Cruz looks. The fight with Caceres was a jobber fight and he went deep with a guy who most had getting Guillotine'd or RNC'd in the first and for some reason, I don't know if I attribute that all to Caceres fighting up to Faber's level or rather, a diminishing Faber....

At this juncture, a Kid matchup will be a snuff bout and a vanity fight for Faber IMO, jeezus Kid got tapped by Vaughn Lee. I'd MUCH rather see ZUFFA go out, bring in Bibano and do a Bibiano/Faber II fight as neither guys are getting younger and Fernandes can only decision so many fighters in OneFC before it becomes tiresome....

I wouldn't rule out a non title related return to FW for Faber. Fights against Edgar, TKZ, Crusher, and Guida are all $$$. And he's still got the inevitable Cruz III fight at BW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information