Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCAC: Ali Bagautinov tests positive for EPO for UFC 174, suspended one year

1. Default BCAC: Ali Bagautinov tests positive for EPO for UFC 174, suspended one year

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/bcac-al...ended-one-year

MMA has its latest performance-enhancing drug suspension in the form of a recent title challenger.

Ali Bagautinov (13-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) tested positive for erythropoietin (EPO) prior to his UFC 174 flyweight title fight against champion Demetrious Johnson (20-2-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC), the British Columbia Athletic Commission on Thursday announced.

In response, the BCAC has suspended Bagautinov for one year. The BCAC released the results of its drug tests for the event to MMAjunkie on Thursday.

UFC 174 took place in Vancouver on June 14. The main card, with Johnson vs. Bagautinov in the headliner, aired on pay-per-view. Johnson won a unanimous decision, taking a sweep of the judges’ scorecards with a trio of 50-45 tallies.

The BCAC said it tested eight competitors from UFC 174 on the night of the fight – Johnson and Bagautinov as title fighters, plus six fighters at random. The fighters were tested for performance-enhancers and drugs of abuse, using the standards of the World Anti-Doping Agency, as well as internal policies.

Bagautinov, however, also was tested out of competition on June 2, the commission said.

“Results received by this office from the June 2 tests on Mr. Bagautinov were positive for erythropoietin, or EPO – a substance banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency,” BCAC Commissioner Dave Maedel stated. “These results were not available prior to the UFC 174 event due to lab processing times. Mr. Bagautinov lost his bid for the flyweight title to Demetrious Johnson. I have suspended Mr. Bagautinov’s licence to compete in British Columbia for a period of one year.”

EPO is a hormone that controls the production of red blood cells. In sports as a performance enhancer, it is perhaps best known in the world of professional cycling, where it became best associated with Lance Armstrong, the seven-time Tour de France winner who was found to have used EPO as part of a doping “cocktail.” He eventually was stripped of his titles and had his name removed from the race’s record books.

The UFC released an official statement on Bagautinov’s alleged positive test on Thursday night:

“UFC 174 competitor Ali Bagautinov has been suspended by the British Columbia Athletic Commission for testing positive for erythropoietin (EPO). He was also informed that his positive test violated the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy and Promotional Agreement with Zuffa, LLC. The UFC has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents by our athletes. Bagautinov will serve a one-year suspension and must pass a drug test at the conclusion of his suspension before receiving clearance to compete in the UFC again.”

And Johnson released a statement to MMAjunkie:

“I’m disappointed to hear that Bagautinov tested positive for EPO,” Johnson said. “That’s very unfortunate news. But the moral of this story is that I proved on June 14 that you don’t need to cheat, you don’t need PEDs to be a champion. I am proud to be a clean champion and I believe that talent will beat drugs every time out, just like it did last month in Vancouver.”

Bagautinov, a Dagestan native living in Moscow who spends some of his training time at the Greg Jackson-Mike Winkeljohn camp in Albuquerque, N.M., brought an 11-fight winning streak into the title fight against Johnson.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Ugh....
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

I dont get what the problem is... I am sure he must have been using it to try to get his wife pregnant.

Kennedy: I really believe around 60-70% of UFC fighters are on PEDs
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...s-are-on-PEDs/
    Tim Kennedy @TimKennedyMMA
    •I'm fighting Sept. 27th in Las Vegas against Yoel Romero. ;-)
    •I am not going to fight again unless my opponent and myself are being drug tested (random). #UFC #PED #TRT #EPO #HGH*
    •Asking for random drug tests has nothing to do with Romero. It has to do with the current state of MMA. #PED #TRT #EPO #HGH #UFC
    •These "random" drug tests truly aren't random. You are in a fight camp, you know you are going to be tested, and you agreed to the test.
    •Imagine that. Another random drug test, another failed drug test.

Ben Fowlkes ‏@benfowlkesMMA
    Okay, but *now* they've all been caught, right?

Tim Kennedy ‏@TimKennedyMMA
    I can give you a list of about 50 guys I know are dirty.... Sooooo.... Hell NO!!!

Ben Fowlkes @benfowlkesMMA
    Hold on, let me get a pen.

The UFC middleweight, who fights Yoel Romero at UFC 178 on Sept. 27 in Las Vegas, wants out of competition testing for himself and for his opponent, and doesn't want to fight without it. Kennedy requested that the fight be in Nevada, as the Nevada Athletic Commission has several times done surprise out of competition tests, with results that are altering the face of the game.

Cost of a thorough test regimen throughout a camp are $10,000 to $35,000 per fight, and Kennedy is willing to pay half the costs.

Kennedy is taking the step after a series fighter failed surprise tests administered by the NSAC. Chael Sonnen failed twice, and retired; he was also dropped by FOX and the UFC as a color commentator. Wanderlei Silva physically ran from a test, and will in all likelihood be suspended for a year. And Vitor Belfort was on admittedly on TRT before having applied for a license with the NSAC to do so; his case remains to be settled.

“Whatever it takes to ensure we are moving toward having a clean sport, which we are nowhere near right now,” Kennedy told Brett Okamato for ESPN.com. “Something has to change.”

“They randomly test three dudes and all three fail. All in my weight class. All dudes I could potentially be fighting. I went from just being vocal about drug use, to saying to myself, ‘I have to make a stand about this.’”

“I’m really impressed in the change in both the climate and the UFC’s perception of it. The UFC is forking over money for testing, so it’s been top-driven, which makes me proud to be in the UFC. They are really the only organization that is doing it and it’s definitely a step in the right direction.

“But the first time [the NSAC] randomly tested people, everybody failed. Imagine what that looks like across 450 athletes. Are we talking 60 or 70 percent? I really believe it’s somewhere in that range of fighters that are using.”

According to Kennedy’s manager, Leo Khorolinsky, UFC heavyweight Andrei Arlovski, also a client of Khorolinsky's, will be requesting the same out of competition testing for his fight with Antonio Silva on Sept 13 in Brazil. The regulating body in Brazil, Comissão Atlética Brasileira de MMA, is not likely to have the resources for out of competition testing on another continent. Thus the solution may have to come from the UFC. They are expected to make an announcement in this regard at the Association of Boxing Commissions convention in two weeks.

--

*Kennedy is contractually obligated to fight Romero. Speaking immediately, the line was more rhetorical that factual, to illustrate how serious Kennedy is about the issue.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Not a shocker given that Ali was already busted by the Sambo commission. Gone for a year, buh-bye.

I really would like to see a 4 year ban on people who get busted for performance enhancing drugs that have been banned.
    1st offense four years off.
    2nd offense eight years.
    3rd offense life

This would be nice for all sports.

And he still couldn't get anything going against Mighty Mouse. A Dodson rematch sounds good.

I think four years may be a bit excessive. I'd put it around 18 months to two years myself, but I don't think I'll ever become the head if the NSAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Not a shocker given that Ali was already busted by the Sambo commission. Gone for a year, buh-bye.
    Any theories on why it's the repeat offenders getting busted on the random tests? Optimism says they were targeted for past bad behavior. But I suspect they're just the guys who can't cycle properly and do whatever else they need to be disciplined about to piss clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    I really would like to see a 4 year ban on people who get busted for performance enhancing drugs that have been banned.
    1st offense four years off.
    2nd offense eight years.
    3rd offense life

This would be nice for all sports.
    8 years is basically life. Anyone who got that long would need to stop training and get a new job. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 years was the simliar. I get where you're coming from, but I think those are a bit much.

I'd go with:
    1st offense- One year, unless there are extenuating circumstances, and probation of frequent random testing paid for the fight for the following year.
    2nd offense- One year suspension, two years probation, and full fight purse penalty.
    3rd offense- Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Any theories on why it's the repeat offenders getting busted on the random tests? Optimism says they were targeted for past bad behavior. But I suspect they're just the guys who can't cycle properly and do whatever else they need to be disciplined about to piss clean.
    In this case he just didn't cycle off properly not even really a random test as the main event guys pretty much always get tested.

years is basically life. Anyone who got that long would need to stop training and get a new job. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 years was the simliar. I get where you're coming from, but I think those are a bit much.

I'd go with:
    1st offense- One year, unless there are extenuating circumstances, and probation of frequent random testing paid for the fight for the following year.
    2nd offense- One year suspension, two years probation, and full fight purse penalty.
    3rd offense- Banned
    Personally they should be adopting olympic models for suspensions. Two years for the first test and your done if you get caught again. The punishment needs to be harsh to the point people won't ever be tempted to cheat again after the first positive test to the point that they won't even consider questionable supplements or conveniently forget to file exemptions for necessary medications. No sympathy for them if that puts them out of work either they made the choice.

Of course this would have to be overseen by an independent and global testing program that screens randomly in and out of competition.

Will EPO be this year's TRT?

This is disappointing.. Another black eye for the sport

Cost of a thorough test regimen throughout a camp are $10,000 to $35,000 per fight, and Kennedy is willing to pay half the costs.
    damn thats expensive.. The fines and suspensions ya'll have mentioned would end careers and definitely make fighters find a new source of income, but maybe thats the drastic measures we need to stop this shit.

I hate hearing this news
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Thread Information