+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Chris Weidman established himself as the top middleweight in the world

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Just because you defeated Spartacus, does not mean you have achieved the things Spartacus has achieved.
    Who is the real champion of Capua?

Gannicus!

I would say Weidman beat Anderson decisively one time, when he knocked him out. The 2nd time was an injury so I wouldnt call that decisively.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    I would say Weidman beat Anderson decisively one time, when he knocked him out. The 2nd time was an injury so I wouldnt call that decisively.
    Then you'd also say Mark Hunt's win over Struve was...something less than decisive?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Wiedman hasn't achieved legend yet. But he is knocking on the door. He has 2 wins over Silva and now machida. If he can rack up a couple more wins he will be in line with the legends. Right now I would say he is elite and a great fighter. Great fighter doesn't always mean all time great. It takes more than 1 great year.

I think Wiedman will get there. Bit I just don't think he is there yet

Who are the top guys that Silva has beat (talking about legends, not great fighters):

Belfort, Henderson

Weidman has
    Silva and Machida

which is equally if not more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Wiedman hasn't achieved legend yet. But he is knocking on the door. He has 2 wins over Silva and now machida. If he can rack up a couple more wins he will be in line with the legends. Right now I would say he is elite and a great fighter. Great fighter doesn't always mean all time great. It takes more than 1 great year.

I think Wiedman will get there. Bit I just don't think he is there yet

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Who are the top guys that Silva has beat (talking about legends, not great fighters):

Belfort, Henderson

Weidman has
    Silva and Machida

you have Machida as a legend? Really? the guy that is now 5-5 in his last 10 fights...a legend?

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

Belfort, Henderson

Weidman has
    Silva and Machida

I would include Franklin on Silva's list the guy was pretty dominant until he met up with Silva he is at least as much of legend as Machida is

Yes, fair, Franklin should probably be close to that list, probably just a little below in my books but close.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I would include Franklin on Silva's list the guy was pretty dominant until he met up with Silva he is at least as much of legend as Machida is

If you are only going 10 fights back, he should be 7-3 with losses to Jones (who is twice the size of him), Rua and Weidman now. Machida is one of the best fighters in the world PNP. And Rise is suggesting that Franklin be on the list, remember what happened when they met.

Rampage/Davis were awful decisions if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    you have Machida as a legend? Really? the guy that is now 5-5 in his last 10 fights...a legend?

If you are only going 10 fights back, he should be 7-3 with losses to Jones (who is twice the size of him), Rua and Weidman now. Machida is one of the best fighters in the world PNP. And Rise is suggesting that Franklin be on the list, remember what happened when they met.

Rampage/Davis were awful decisions if I remember correctly.
    Even though I agree that he beat rampage and Davis, I don't think you can give Machida the unofficial W's there unless you give both fights to Rua and give Lyoto another unofficial loss. Unless that was 11 fights ago...I can't remember.

I agree that Machida top 5 or 6 pound for pound if you're looking at a traditional definition that actually factors in size. I'd also place a win over him higher than a win over Rich Franklin, although Franklin was no joke.

I'm looking forward to another Weidman/Machida bout, I hope that Lyoto strings together some good wins and that Weidman's camp doesn't flake on a rematch. I'd guess Weidman wins 6 out of 10, maybe even 7 out of 10 fights in theory, but I'd love to see that whole "ooh, Machida should have just started throwing early and he totally would have won" question answered.

I think the biggest issue with Weidman is we haven't really seen him tested, and we don't know how deep he goes yet. Coming back strong for the 5th round answered a lot of questions about him, but he's still a bit of a cypher. I'm really hopeful that Chris doesn't diva out like some other high profile champs have, but money changes everything, and he's probably really starting to get a taste of what he's worth.

I also think there are a lot of Anderson fanboys who can't let it go that their idol got tooled, and then tooled again...so even though he's not even remotely an asshole; Chris is going to face an uphill battle with a firmly entrenched demographic who can't wait for him to fail. I'm not going to stoop to writing them off as haters, but there is a strong bias against his success from this group.

On the flipside, you have a ton of fans who hated Silva, and can't wait for someone to eclipse his star. And for some of these fans, the fact that it's a White kid from the suburbs of 'Merica makes it that much sweeter. So they're going to be saying "Weidman is the greatest ever" with as much bias as the opposite camp.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 07-08-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

I was going to add that, but it was 11 fights ago and Machida had 7 light wins in a row prior to that.

If Weidman is out for awhile, Machida versus Anderson Silva in a fight or two to see who is a contender when Weidman returns.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Even though I agree that he beat rampage and Davis, I don't think you can give Machida the unofficial W's there unless you give both fights to Rua and give Lyoto another unofficial loss. Unless that was 11 fights ago...I can't remember.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information